Serves meat, veg options available. Retro diner decor and atmosphere. Has vegan nachos, veggieburgers, and other diner type fast foods. Offers agave nectar as sweetener option. Parking in back of restaurant. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Fast food, American, Take-out, Delivery, Non-veg

First Review by gr8vegan
nsweeney
nsweeney

Good vegan options

4 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2013

On a recent road trip my husband and I needed a place for breakfast that opened early and I found Swingers. It turns out they server everything on their menu all the time and they label the items on their menu that are vegetarian and vegan. We are vegan, I had the whole grain banana pancakes and my husband got the soyrizo breakfast burrito. The pancakes were so moist and flavorful and delicious. The portion was really nice, I was not still hungry when I was done. My husband also enjoyed his breakfast burrito. We come to the LA area with Omni friends and I think this would be a great place that we would all enjoy. Next time I think my husband wants to try to the sloppy joe sandwich. I was happy to find a veg friendly restaurant that lives up to that title.

Pros: Vegan Pancakes all day, Friendly staff
Cons: No vegan bacon
Chia
Chia

Okay, casual

3 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Swinger's Diner review. I've only eaten here twice, both times with friends, including non-vegetarians. They seemed to like it just fine.

It's diner style food and decor with booth seating and bar seating. The decor is interesting and colorful, a bit retro.

For vegans and vegetarians there are wraps, a couple sandwiches, and usually a vegan soup. I think the food was decent but not memorable. Oh, I hear that they sometimes offer a vegan cinnamon roll (haven't been back to try it though). With so many pure vegetarian and vegan choices in Santa Monica, Swingers is just not on my list of go-to. But it's veg friendly enough and you can come with non-veg friends.

smilingveggie
smilingveggie

Lots of options

4 Posted on 11 / 13 / 2011

I thought this place was great for vegetarians. Lots of options on the menu; i really couldn't decide what to have! As i wasn't that hungry i ordered the Veggie Joe but it was massive! I also ate some of the falafel from my boyfriends Greek Platter and thought they were great. I would love to go again and try more veggie options!

As i'm originally from the UK, a place like this was a nice refreshing change. (In the UK this sort of diner would have very limited options for vegetarians) There are even vegan cakes and muffins which looked really nice.

Pros: Huge choice, Delicious food , Good value

whosmeggyn
whosmeggyn
  • herbivore

Was NOT impressed

1 Posted on 08 / 13 / 2011

The vegan options were less than impressive, the veggie burger fell apart and looked like it was made in a haste, and unless you know someone that works there, they pretty much neglect to wait on you. I wouldn't come here again, not for the snobby atmosphere or mediocre food.

Pros: Location, Hours
Cons: Establishment, Service, Prices
thetalkstops
thetalkstops

nice late night option

4 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2011

There are several clearly marked vegan and vegetarian dishes. The portion sizes are good. The place actually does a really nice sauteed tofu.

Pros: late hours, nice for taking omni friends
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

Good with other people

3 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2011

As I had a non-vegan friend in town for business, we chose to go to the diner as it also had vegan options for me (and it's next door to a wine bar we were going to). We had a somewhat early dinner, so it wasn't crowded at all yet. The noise level definitely increased the longer we were there and more people showed up. It's a grab a menu and seat yourself kind of place. Definitely a diner and their menu covered lots of different options. There was a vegan option (or two) listed under each category like starters, breakfast, sandwiches, salads, entrees, etc. I went with the vegan nachos and my friend had the Mediterranean platter. They were pretty basic, but filled us up before going to have some wine. The soyrizo on the nachos was a nice touch, but it seemed like the "cheese" was just some semi-melted Tofutti slices. I have no idea why they don't use Daiya or something. The service was friendly and adequate. I probably won't ever be back on my own, but it works if you are with non-vegans as there is something for everyone.

Pros: good with other people, diner food
Cons: serves meat, dairy and eggs
Mimi710
Mimi710

Vegan options on a dinner menu = :)

4 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2008

I ate here with some friends late one night in October 2007. I was so happy to see vegan options clearly labeled on a diner menu. I had the quinoa salad which had orange juice squeezed on top... yum! I also had the vegan cookies. (Yes, that is right, you can get vegan cookies at a dinner!) This place is great for when you are out with your friends that aren't vegan and it is way after the vegan restaurants have closed. Also, while I love RFD and find the price to be worth it my non-vegan friends in LA do not share this opinon. I'll probably end up going here again the next time I am in Santa Monica.

Pros: vegan options at a dinner, this includes vegan cookies, open late
Guest
Guest

So Fun!

4 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2008

I only gave this four cows since it wouldn't let me do five. I would've never even thought to check this place out had I not seen the reviews here. There aren't a TON of vegan options, but just enough to find something you like. I personally became addicted to the Greek Platter (just ask for no cheese on the salad). They also have vegan cookies. The decor is really funky & fun, with purple cows painted on the walls! It's basically a welcome change from the usual mellow vegan places I dine at. The servers were awesome as well and even though I don't live too close to Santa Monica, I intend to eat here again & again.

Pros: service, pita & hummus, funky decor
Cons: limited parking
Vegchick
Vegchick

Late Night Snack

4 Posted on 05 / 04 / 2008

Sad but true, I'm here a lot! I loove their burgers and chili. Always hits my late night crave or craze...lol

Pros: Vegan pie
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Good Place for Late Night or Daytime Vegan Options

4 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2007

I went to this place after a concert very late at night [I also went a second time during the day]. I agree that it is loud, and the food is so so, but I would go back again [I already have ;)]. The Vegan Wrap and their version of the Veggie Burger were pretty good! If anything, the atmosphere is worth it.

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

get your late night vegan on!

3 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2007

This place is LOUD. The food is soso, but hey, its late at night and you want some vegan food so options are slim. If you're into loud music with your vegan burrito then this place is for you. I seriously had to wear ear plugs last time I was in there. Everyone is very nice and vegan friendly. If you're a vegan in LA you MUST put this place in your memory banks, it comes in handy when your with a group of drunks that are hungry and you don't want to suffer at a non vegan establishment.

Pros: open late
Cons: loud

Dear Owner and Manager of Swinger's Diner: