Opened in February 2011, this is a casual Taiwanese vegetarian cafe with a an extensive menu, primarily economic style meals. Bargain lunch specials, bento box meals, soups, noodle and rice dishes, Taiwanese snack foods, and stir fry entrees. Menu has vegan, egg dishes, and milk/dairy dishes - clearly marked. Order at the counter, and food is brought to your table. Also sells some foodstuff like veg jerky, dried noodle, rice crackers, cooking sauces, and frozen steam buns for take home. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Taiwanese, Chinese, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by spiceislandvegan
Chia
Chia

Tasty Taiwanese Vegetarian Food

4 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and have been here twice so far. Here's my Sweet Veggie review.

It's a nice little place with a large menu of Taiwanese style dishes and snack foods. Some dishes contain eggs and/or milk and cheese, and there is plenty of all vegan options. You order and pay at the counter, and food is brought to your table.

I've tasted the pan fried radish cake (yummy with chili & soy sauce), the vege beef noodle soup (faux beef & chewy noodle in a dark broth), "stinky" tofu (a popular Taiwanese street food comprising deep fried cubes of marinated tofu served with pickled cabbage and best eaten with chili sauce), the vegetable steam bun, the wonton noodle soup, the rice "sausage" (sticky rice wrapped inside a beancurd sheet and doused in a slightly tangy and sweet tomato sauce), and the sweet veggie fried rice.

I especially like the rice "sausage" and the fried rice.

Both times I ate there, the food arrived at our table quickly, and the servers/owners were friendly.

Pros: tasty, clean food, quick & friendly, varied menu
Cons: styrofoam take-out containers
spiceislandvegan
spiceislandvegan

Simple and delicious!

5 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2011

It was hard to find since there is no sign about it anywhere near the street. I can't find the street number either but my Garmin told me that I arrived at my destination. It is in a small shopping place where Starbucks is. So as soon as you see Starbucks on Gale Ave. that intersects Fullerton Rd., go into this shopping mall and the restaurant is next to Smart and Final store.

I didn't have time to dine in so I took some food-to-go. What I like about this restaurant is that their menu is marked clearly with icons or symbols for each item for 'peanut', ' milk', 'eggs', and 'spicy'. This helps for vegans and people who is allergic to peanuts. Great job!

Also, some items that have 'eggs' symbols can be made without eggs but some can't. For example, their Korean Bibimbap is marked with 'eggs' symbol but it can be taken out since a sunny side up egg is added later. However, the veggie meatball has egg powder in it so that's impossible to take out. :-)

Since I don't eat eggs, I ordered the Bibimbap without eggs. It was delicious and spicy, the way I like it. I also ordered spicy wontons. They are steamed (dim sum style) and top with a yummy sauce. I also ordered vegetarian steamed buns, they were good too since I ate 2 of them.

The restaurant sells items to cook with and snacks. I bought instant vegetarian curry paste. It was delicious. I made the curry at home and my husband likes it very much.

The prices are very reasonable but it is CASH ONLY. They now serve brown rice. The place and bathroom are clean. It's a plus for a Chinese restaurant.

I would like to visit again and hopefully able to dine in. I saw that they have vegan cheesecakes with 3 flavors. I didn't try it but will come back again.

The lady who helped me was very helpful and nice although I don't speak Chinese. It doesn't look like there is a waiter or waitress so you have to order food in the with the lady in the register (just like Native Foods).

The only drawback I think is TRAFFIC but this is not the restaurant's fault. The traffic around this area Fullerton Rd. and Gale Ave. is TERRIBLE. Maybe if I go back on a Sunday evening it will be better but I was there on Friday, lunch time before Memorial Day and I thought I was never able to get out of this area.

Pros: inexpensive, simple and clear menu, taste
Cons: traffic in the area, too far from home

Dear Owner and Manager of Sweet Veggie: