Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe

A bakery that also serves vegetarian lunch Tue-Sat 11am-2pm, which includes soups, sandwiches, and specials. Vegans need to specify. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Bakery, American, Take-out
1804 Frankfort Ave (Pope St)
Louisville, Kentucky 40206
502-899-2008

Open Tue-Thur 8am-10pm, Fri-Sat 8am-11pm.

First Review by remy
BuddyWheeler
BuddyWheeler

Vegan Mexican Wedding Cookies

5 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2014

They always have a few vegan cupcakes on hand. The Mexican wedding cookies are amazing though!

Pros: Mexican Wedding Cookies
andreafbe
andreafbe

I had high hopes...

2 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2012

I was disappointed at Sweet Surrender. I had really been looking forward to a sweet treat after a long week in Louisville. They didn't have many vegan choices the day I went. We went with a chocolate cupcake and a carrot cupcake. Both seemed very dry and the frosting was sickeningly sweet - and this is from someone who loves sweets. The cupcakes came out of the fridge and seemed like they might have been old.

Pros: Good idea in theory
Cons: Not many vegan choices, Dry cupcakes, Frosting waaaayyy too sweet
phoray
phoray

High Expectations Fell Flat

2 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2012

My Omnivore friend and I came here to do a little secret shopping. I'd emailed her before my visit saying that she was one of two contenders to cater at my wedding. With a beautiful online gallery of previous wedding cakes, and pretty store front, and wonderful happycow reviews, I expected heaven.

I tried three things: a slice of three layer vegan cake, a green tea cupcake, and their no bake cookie. My omnivore friend ordered a chocolate chip cookie and their cookie sandwich.

Vegan cake: The bread texture was weird. The frosting was...interesting but thick. Is this what fondant is like? The flavors were so subtle I had trouble picking them up at all.

Vegan no bake cookie: This was not amazing. I could make something similar or better at home.

Vegan Green Tea Cupcake: First lick of frosting led me to believe that it would save this place from getting a completely awful review. Second lick brought me an aftertaste of granular grass. The bread was of the same odd texture.

Honestly, I didn't eat most of anything I ordered. I brought it home to my fiance who WILL EAT ANYTHING. And he even thought it was weird.

My omnivore friend:
Thought the quality of the cookie was that of store bought, like chips ahoy.

The frosting inside her cookie sandwich was tasteless. She scraped most of it off onto her plate.

Very disappointing. I will not return, and she will not cater my wedding no matter how pretty her cakes are. Taste is far more important!

Pros: Pretty store, quiet
Cons: taste, quality
xsamx
xsamx

Excellent desserts

5 Posted on 05 / 07 / 2010

Haven't had the lunch, but their vegan desserts are incredible. Various cupcakes and cake are rich, moist, and extremely delicious. Also SS is a nice place to hang-out and get coffee, use wifi, etc. Totally recommend this place.

Pros: vegan-friendly, location, cupcakes!
remy
remy

Great cakes! Yum

5 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2008

They made a special birthday cake for my son's first birthday w/o eggs that was delicious. I have also seen other special diet items on the menu - cake and cookies.

Pros: nice atmosphere, all good, wireless internet
Cons: not open mondays
  • Jeffrey Jeffrey

Hi Remy, I liked your review of this bakery. It is sometimes hard to find a good vegan birthday cake. Sounds like this is a good choice.

Dear Owner and Manager of Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe: