Small, locally owned and operated vegan cafe. Serves lunch and weekend brunch using local produce, most of which is from Full Earth Farm in Quincy, FL. Coffee (house roasted) and tea is fair-trade organic. Lemonade & iced tea made fresh daily. Counter service and a homey atmosphere. Opened in April 2011. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, American, Beer/Wine
832 Tharpe St (Old Bainbridge)
Tallahassee, Florida 32303
850-692-3476

Open Tue-Fri 11am-8pm, Sat-Sun 11am-4pm, closed Mon.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by hellokiddo
TastebudPartee
TastebudPartee

Local gem

4 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2014

I don't think I've ever had something from here that I didn't like. Lot of great sandwiches, the quesadillas are tasty and their homemade drinks are pretty good too.

The menu ranges from cheap eats to lunch items that are upwards of $10. Pretty much everything comes with a side, so you'll have plenty to eat no matter what you get.

The source their food locally and their vegan...what more can you ask for?

Pros: Tasty food, generally friendly staff, some cheap menu items
Cons: Parking is awkward, Their driveway has a huge dip in it
carmencricket
carmencricket

So Good

3 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2014

Everything I have eaten at Sweet Pea has been wonderful. Try the french fries covered in gravy and daiya cheese. So so good.

Pros: Super Tasty Vegan Food
BRN
BRN

Local Prize

5 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2014

Favorite spot in Tallahassee.
Great service.
Predictably grody, with good (tattooed) service, a big, covered patio with picnic tables. Music-themed specials. Greasy, filling meals like Tofuevos Rancheros and Vegan Poutine. Its basically every great divey vegan place you've ever been. Reeks of Austin/Asheville in a great way.

Pros: Big, flavorful vegan meals, Great brunch, coffee, Affordable and fast.
Julie R
Julie R

EAT HERE - YOU WILL LOVE IT

5 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2014

I was in Tallahassee for a couple days. I found two AMAZING vegan restaurants using my Happy Cow app – Sweet Pea being one of them.

Sweet Pea is fantastic. It has a really cool, cheerful vibe to it. All the workers are young and friendly and welcoming. The inside (there is indoor and outdoor seating) has a charm about it that is irresistible. Inside, they have these small mosaic tables that are really beautiful, as well as a counter by a big glass window where you can sit; it is sunny and bright in there. The menu is on a blackboard above the counter where you order; there’s a regular menu and specials of the day. You place your order, then they bring you your food.

I had the Bob Marley and the Kalers special (appropriate since they were playing Reggae music). It was a hard call for me because I always enjoy a Reuben, which they also had on the menu. But, I couldn’t pass up the special. The Bob Marley was scrambled tofu (YUM), potato hash browns (excellent), and kale (delicious, although I thought it was collard greens not kale). EVERYTHING was just so good. Oh, and, it came with some delicious cornbread.

The special was only $8 and was a lot of food. I really enjoyed it. The kids who work there keep coming out and asking how you are enjoying your meal – again, they are very friendly. I didn’t see anything on the menu that cost more than $7 or $8 – really, really good prices, especially considering the amount of food you get. You definitely don’t come away hungry!

I like that this restaurant is locally owned and operated. I think that is important for your community and I always try to support businesses such as this. I love it that they compost.

Sweet Pea is just a few minutes from downtown Tallahassee on what seems like a main road. The exterior is basic – nothing fancy, no frills - but don’t let that scare you away. The inside and outside eating areas are both very clean and nice. There is plenty of parking on the side.

When I return to Tallahassee, I am going to be torn between my two new favorite vegan restaurants, but, for sure, I will find time to make it back to Sweat Pea!

Pros: Delicious food, Inexpensive, Workers extremely friendly and helpful
Cons: Not in my hometown
annaegel
annaegel

YUMMMY!

4 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2013

I am revising my review since 6/22/13. On our more recent visit to Sweet Pea (10/26/13), I noticed they had painted or washed the grime in the bathroom. It looked more refreshed. The food was still delish! They had a few breakfast like items to their menu that I wish I had tried.
Next time.

___________________________________________________________
My daughter and I ate at Sweet Pea Cafe after a long tour of FSU. The place itself looks a bit run down, seemed a little grimmy, like it needs a good paint job, and floors scrubbed. Inside, there are a few tables. We were turned off by the flies inside, so we decided to eat outside which had picnic style wooden tables. My daughter had the Buffalo Fried Tofu with ginger lemonade. I had the Falawsome with black ice tea. We both ate a hugh chocolate chip cookie, which was to die for! My daughter really liked hers. Mine was also very good. The food was priced reasonable and tasty. The staff was friendly and order came quickly. Overall, we really liked the place, though the decor was iffy.
Updated from previous review on Saturday June 22, 2013

Pros: yummy vegan food, price, friendly staff
Cons: felt grimmy (though improved), limited seating, flies

PatBaril
PatBaril

Excellent!

5 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2013

We were traveling to SC and used my Happy Cow App to find us some lunch. Recent Vegans exploring a whole new world of food.
Perfect place and exactly what we wanted. After reading the reviews, I went with the Reuban and my wife the Awesome Falafel. Both were great. I really liked the Reuban and would order it again.
Washed down with a Mimosa and wanted some coffee to go, but by then it was packed inside and at time lunch time. Great service, but small place.
Fun irony watching the meat market next store feed the obese while the healthy snacked at Sweet Pea
Updated from previous review on Saturday April 13, 2013

Pros: Vegan Food, Fast, Not far from I10
Cons: None. , Exactly what we wanted
sharilee1949
sharilee1949

GREAT FOOD, QUIRKY ATMOSPHERE

5 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2012

My daughter and I recently visited my grandson for FSU parents weekend. We are recent vegans and found this restaurant on 'Happy Cow'. We went for brunch on Sat. and Sun. Food was really good....coffee was excellent. I had the scrambled tofu brunch with home fries (excellent) and dtr. had Buffalo 'chicken' sandwich on Sat. yummy!!! on Sun. we had gorilla biscuits w/ mushroom gravy and rancheros tofu scramble....again, yummy!!! we brought my 10 yr old granddaughter on Sun. (picky eater) and she loved the home fries ! Would recommend 'Sweet Pea' to everyone, vegan or not. It looks a little quirky but that just adds to the charm...staff were very friendly and helpful...this is a 'Green' facility, be prepared to ' bus' your own table, you'll find silverware and napkins on sideboard. will definately visit 'sweet pea' next time we visit FSU.

Pros: excellent food, huge portions, price is right
Cons: limited seating
emergingsynergy
emergingsynergy

A Tasty, Healthy Gift To Us

5 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2012

The Sweet Pea Cafe' is a labor of love on the part of two highly talented and vegan, culinary artists. If you aren't vegan, and don't know that vegan food and cooking can be absolutely delicious, visually appealing, and incredibly diverse, then this should be your first stop in Tallahassee: You'll have a fine time learning all of those things while you enjoy a tasty meal or maybe just a cup of home-roasted coffee. These folks have put together a diverse and interesting menu, and one or the other of them is almost always there, in the thick of things, to keep things just right. This is an excellent place for a quick lunch, a Sunday brunch, or a nice dinner. The price is right, and the atmosphere very casual.

Pros: Tasty!, Good value! , Friendly staff and customers!
Cons: nada!
rasmu697
rasmu697

Best Resturant Ever!

5 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2012

Sweet Pea is by far my favorite resturant! I almost eat there too often. I love places that have a simple menu and a new special every day. They have 7 awsome plates that they serve every day. My favorite is the buffalo tofu sandwich. Defidently eat here and support local food! You won't be disapointed.

Pros: best food , good price, 100% vegan
ddubddub
ddubddub

great!!!!

5 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2012

sweet pea is my favorite place to eat at in tallahassee. try the tempeh reuben! and the arnold francisco! and the sweet potato poutine!

Pros: food, decor, price
Cons: too many good menu options., far away from me right now.
441dave
441dave

The Best Place to Eat Veg in Tallahassee

5 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2012

We just returned from a weekend trip to Tallahassee, and Sweet Pea is by far the best place to eat. Fresh, local, friendly, and extremely tasty. If we ever go back to Tallahassee, Sweet Pea will be our first stop in and last stop out.

Pros: fresh, local, friendly
ZachS
ZachS

My favorite spot for vegetarian food in Tallahasse

5 Posted on 02 / 11 / 2012

I only recently discovered this gem, am I am now eat there about 3 times a week. They use Daiya here too, which is a huge plus for me since I love Daiya. Definitely try the Reuben, BBQ tofu sandwich, and if you like buffalo sauce, the buffalo tofu sandwich. Their poutine is awesome, and their vegan deserts are great too. All around it's just a great place.

Pros: They use Daiya, They season their food well, Casual, laid back atmosphere
Cons: Minimum of $10 to put an order on credit
YogaMatt
YogaMatt

Vegan Yum Yum!!!

5 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2011

What a pleasant surprise to come across this little vegan gem on my way to Portland, OR from Fort Lauderdale, FL!
I even turned back to have a vegan reuben! So good and worth the added time on my trip!
Staff super friendly, great quirky atmosphere:)

gprice3
gprice3

Absolutely Wonderful !!

5 Posted on 11 / 27 / 2011

On a trip from Austin, TX to Jacksonville, FL, we found this place via happycow.net. We are vegan and when on vacation, it's rare to be able to find places that cater specifically to vegetarians and vegans. This small place is easy to get to from I-10 using the gps. The food was absolutely wonderful! We had the reuben (wow!), the black bean burger with sweet potato fries (yum!), the stuffed French toast (kids loved it) and the Daiya quesadilla (oooh!). Every plate was empty by the time we were done. I hope they do well (only been open since April, 2011) because we plan on stopping by again when we next go to Florida.

Pros: excellent food, kids loved it, great atmosphere
RachelSparkle
RachelSparkle

I could eat here multiple times a day, every day.

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2011

Amazing food, great prices, superawesome people. If you don't love the tempeh reuben, there might be something seriously wrong with your taste buds!

BHengstebeck
BHengstebeck
  • non-vegetarian

Sweet Pea Cafe is fantastic

5 Posted on 05 / 07 / 2011

what a wonderful place to eat. My husband and I have eaten there three times and each time it was great. Unique menu items, tasty and fresh. The sweet potato french fries are to die for. Freindly staff. Great prices. Big portions. You should go!

hellokiddo
hellokiddo

Wow... Just, WOW!

5 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2011

I feel so fortunate to have such an amazing all vegan restaurant right here in Tallahassee! So far I have had the Tempeh Reuben (my all time favorite!), the spicy blackened tofu BLT, the quesadilla and the sweet potato fries - all of which were delicious and filling while still feeling light. With the Reuben, I was nervous about the ruby sauerkraut because I've never really liked the stuff but it combines perfectly with the rey bread and "million island" dressing. The prices will blow your mind - $7.50 for an all vegan lunch of an amazing sandwich and fries, made from largely locally sourced foods?! Can't beat that. I really like the outside patio area because it is mostly fenced in so I can eat and enjoy and not have to worry about my little one darting out in to traffic. So thrilled Tallahassee has acquired such a great locally owned, all vegan restaurant!

Pros: 100% vegan, Amazing prices!!, Nice outside patio
Cons: Inside is kinda cozy

Dear Owner and Manager of Sweet Pea Cafe: