Soft serve ice cream in downtown Ithaca. Offers both dairy and vegan ice cream (made from organic coconut milk). Different flavors each week. more-less

First Review by tawningham
andreajane
andreajane

Disappointing

1 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2014

I had such high hopes for Sweet Melissa's. We were visitng the Farm Sanctuary in nearby Watkins Glen, and travelled to Ithaca for the day. I was so looking forward to trying some vegan ice cream here.
First, the place was incredibly difficult to find. It's within a deli/snack shop with no sign visible from the street, and no street number that we could see.
We drove by three times, and only saw it when we stopped in the parking lot to look it up online again.
After the ordeal of finding it, I discovered that there were only TWO flavours of vegan ice cream: coconut and blueberry & cardamom. Granted, I'm only one person and everyone has different tastes, but both of those are totally unappealing to me.
I think that by limiting it to only two unusual flavours, it plays into the 'vegan is weird' mentality, and few people are going to try them. And then they won't sell, and then it looks like there isn't a market for vegan ice cream.
Vegans love chocolate as much as everyone else... It may be boring, but it's ubiquitous because it's yummy! Give us chocolate! (I would have also been happy with vanilla, raspberry, caramel, strawberry, any variation of chocolate, hazelnut, pistachio....)
Needless to say, I didn't try either flavour, and we drove back to Watkins Glen and had vegan ice cream at The Colonial Pottery & Creamery. And it was super yummy.

Pros: none
Cons: impossible to find, very limited selection, only unusual flavours
bunyak
bunyak

Great vegan ice cream!

5 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2012

We've gone to Sweet Melissa's several times, while on vacation, the last 2 years. The prices are extremely reasonable for coconut milk ice cream and the owners are incredibly nice people. We can't wait to go this year.

tawningham
tawningham

Very good!

3 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2012

Their coconut milk icecream was fresh and creamy. It was a little pricey (around $4, I believe, for a medium) but worth it for the occasional indulgence.

Pros: fresh, delicious, homemade
Cons: pricey, location wasn't great

Dear Owner and Manager of Sweet Melissa's: