Please send HappyCow some details- thanks! Closed Sunday. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by road2cairo
drees2014
drees2014

Awesome place to eat!

5 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2014

This place is super cool. I want expecting to find a place that catered to vegans out here in WY and on top of that taste so good! The atmosphere in side is really cool and the staff are friendly. Most of the items on the menu can be converted to vegan. The prices are also cheap averaging around $9 and you get a pretty good portion. The place can hold its weight against big city vegan places. I think the hours were from 11am to 9pm M-S and closed on Sunday's.

Pros: Plenty of vegan options , Great tasting food
TableForOne
TableForOne

An Awesome Place

5 Posted on 06 / 11 / 2014

The tour bus broke down near Laramie and i thought i was doomed to eat over-ripe bananas from the truck stop all day, but after a quick search on Happy Cow i was stoked to discover Sweet Melissa a few miles down the road.

There's the restaurant at one side then a cool bar called Front Tavern on the other side. I had the Asian salad and veg stir fry with peanut sauce. It was delicious and all of my omnivore companions were happy with their meals as well. The food came out at the same time too, which for a party of seven was quite impressive.

The staff in both the restaurant and the bar were lovely, and the general atmosphere was laid back.

Sweet Melissa saved the day!

Pros: Friendly staff, good food, many vegan choices
Snick
Snick

Great lunch!

5 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2013

Travelling cross-country, we know to pull off in college towns to find healthy food. Melissa's Cafe was a perfect choice. Great vegan options. We had a fantastic lunch, and had enough left-overs to heat up for dinner in the hotel room. HIghly recommend - friendly staff, good food, nice atmosphere.

Pros: tasty vegan food, friendly staff
Cons: music selection

Jeff M
Jeff M

I-80 Oasis

5 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2013

This place is one of the best stops off of I-80, let alone Laramie. It reminds me of one of the excellent urban veg/vegan restaurants that you'd find in Portland, SLC, or Denver - tasty vegan options, great beers on tap, and a fun quirky atmosphere. The food that we ordered was hearty and perfect for a cold Wyoming day. The adjoining bar area looks like a great place to hangout at night. I was also thrilled to see that Sweet Melissa's is listed #1 of all 43 restaurants in Laramie on Tripadvisor! A veg restaurant topping the restaurant charts in Laramie is all that needs to be said about this great place.

Pros: Great food, Fun atmosphere, Good beer on tap
kkathrynanna
kkathrynanna

gem!

5 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2013

Very happy, all the food we had was yummy, all vegan and pleased my meat-eating mother. We had the cashew cream queso, seitan w gravy, and eggplant parm

Tchelo
Tchelo

Pretty good

4 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2013

Good food. Plenty of options for Vegans/ Vegetarians. Good local brews.

Pros: Yummy , Beer selection, Friendly staff
Cons: Sometimes packed
Slindbla
Slindbla

Refreshing find!

4 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2012

I traveled to Laramie this summer and was very concerned I wouldn't find any place to eat. How refreshing to find Sweet Melissa's in the middle of cowboy country!

We went for lunch. The food was good, and I even ordered something extra to take with me to my cousin's house to have for dinner. I was surprised how crowded the restaurant was - we went on a weekday, and it was packed.

Toni P.
Toni P.

OMG !!

5 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2011

What a rare find in Wyoming .. we were traveling from NYC back to Portland,Oregon and were left high and dry on finding vegetarian meals. I saw Sweet Melissa on Happy Cow so we made the stop in Laramie ... it was fantastic,definitely in our all time top 10.

Pros: Awesome food
Cons: Too far from Oregon
rccourtney
rccourtney

great vegetarian place.

5 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2009

We were driving through Laramie, Wy and found this place on Happycow. I was very happy with the food, I had lentil loaf and mashed potatoes and they were tasty although the lentil loaf was kind of dry. For dessert we had the fried banana bread with walnuts and vanilla syrup which was awesome.

Would definitely go back.

Pros: awesome vegetarian restaurant
minirunner2
minirunner2

Good food, few vegan desserts

3 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2009

I was surprised to find a veg restaurant in Wyoming of all places. We were passing through and decided to try this restaurant out. The food was good but I was dissapointed at their lack of knowledge on vegan food preparation. It seems obvious that vegetarian restaurants should cater to vegans as well.

When asked if we could get vegan soy cheese on something we were told that they don't use 'fake' cheese because it ruins the flavor of the dish.

When asked about vegan desserts we were told that you can't really make cobblers, brownies and other desserts without eggs so they only have one vegan dessert, a vegan chocolate cake that was okay but dry.

Overall the food was good, the service was okay, when we walked in the waiter and waitress were talking to friends and ignored us for about 5 minutes before acknowledging us and then slowly getting menus and seating us.

Overall I would recommend the restaurant, it's great to find veg restaurants in cowboy country. My only tip, if you are vegan, don't go expecting a good desert.

Pros: Good food
Cons: poor knowledge of vegan food prep, average service
findabiggerplace
findabiggerplace

Great Place!

5 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2009

While staying in Colorado for a week, I decided to drive up to Wyoming for the day and explore. I stumbled upon Sweet Melissa's and immediately wished I hadn't eaten a disgusting lunch at Taco John's an hour prior. My partner ordered key lime pie and I had the vegan chocolate cake with ice cream and raspberry sauce. Both were delicious! The wait staff was super nice and we loved the decor.

kindlizard
kindlizard

no Allmans playing

3 Posted on 10 / 22 / 2008

This is a nice place. The water is filtered by reverse osmosis. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The menu has vegan listed,as well as VOR, vegan on request.

The food itself was just alright. Though, hours later, I had major heartburn. I never ever get heartburn. I think I would try again here, just order something else.

Pros: reverse osmosis, staff
Cons: food just ok
vampear
vampear

This place rocks!

5 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2008

I love Sweet Melissa's. We go there fairly frequently and have never had a bad meal. We have also convinced numerous sworn meat-eaters to go and they always request to go back. Their Pita Pizza with creamy artichoke sauce is to die for! They also make an excellent quiche and great chili. All of their desserts are wonderful - our family favorites are the Carrot Cake, Sour Cream Pumpkin Pie and Fried Banana Bread. The waitstaff are always pleasant and very accomodating. You can also actually have dinner and dessert for around $10 and you will most likely have leftovers of both. You can frequently see Melissa in the restaurant and she is always tweaking her recipes and adding new items. The only downfall of the restaurant is that we haven't been able to convince her to sell a cookbook of her recipes. When I move away from Sweet Melissa's it will be a hard restaurant to replace.
In interesting facts the restaurant is actually in the old Laramie Slaughterhouse building - how fitting is that?

Pros: Affordable, Friendly, Entirely Vegetarian
road2cairo
road2cairo

Sweet Melissa's-Vegetarian Oasis

5 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2007

Traveling can be challenging for a vegan, so I am so glad that Sweet Melissa's exists! The first time I went there was with my husband & inlaws on our way to CO in 2001 and another restaurant told us about it when they didn't have much to offer as far as a vegetarian dish went (much less vegan). We went and 6 years later, my husband's grandma is still raving about the vegetarian pot pie she had there. She says it's the best pot pie she's had in her life :) I always make an attempt to go to Sweet Melissa's at every opportunity possible.

Pros: vegan options!
Cons: too far from home :(

Dear Owner and Manager of Sweet Melissa Cafe: