Bakery offering some vegan desserts - call ahead to check the day's offering. more-less
755 Monroe St
Eugene, Oregon 97402
541-683-5676

Open Mon-Fri 7am-11pm, Sat-Sun 8am-11pm.

First Review by suecag
Goodywink
Goodywink

Really delicious and Non-GMO

5 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2014

I've been going here for years, back when they were much smaller and still sort of a "secret". I looked through the reviews, and I do get the ones who think that some of the desserts are to sweet, but we're talking about dessert here.

The only desserts that I've thought were too sweet are the vegan cheesecakes. Everything else is right on target, and in fact, the cakes and icing are not very sweet. Which is perfect.

They have a great creme brulee, excellent cakes of all sorts, really nice pies, and great cookies. Ginger is my fav cookie - so good!

The owners have also taken a non-gmo pledge and source non-gmo ingredients for their food. This is excellent, since corn and beet sugar are primarily modified, and are used extensively in desserts.

The only other place that I think compares to Sweet Life for desserts is Raw Luv, and Raw Luv does catering only! Check out Sweet Life, you really will have a delightful time. And if you have to share a dessert or take some home for later, consider that a bonus, not a downside!

Pros: awesome variety, old favorites, lots of vegan options
Cons: limited parking
xrodolfox
xrodolfox

Best Vegan (and Gluten free) Sweets ever!

5 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2014

We recently moved to Eugene, and this is by far the cheapest and best pastry store we have ever eaten from in the USA. Hands down the very best vegan cakes, pies, and treats we've ever eaten.
Vegan cakes are moist and light, their pies are tart and crunchy, and their vegan "cheese" cakes are smooth and delicious. We ordered a cake for my son's birthday and it was the best vegan and gluten free cake we've ever eaten in over 40yrs of combined vegan travels and experiences (including Europe and the USA).

Pros: delicious, reasonable prices
Cons: long lines, small venue
advolente
advolente

too expensive for me

3 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2010

They have good tasting stuff but the price is expensive for me or I would go there more. 4.50 for a slice of pieSome of the stuff is way too rich as well. It's good place to go on occasion.

Pros: Good selection, staff is knowledgeable, Clean
Green Bird
Green Bird

Great Treats

4 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2009

Yes, it does get quite busy and the line is long, but the space in front of the counter is not very big either so the line often looks longer than it really is. None-the-less we tried to go during off hours to avoid lines.

They do have an excellent selection of vegan treats including ice cream (supplied by local company), cakes, pies, cookies, cupcakes, etc. One of my favorites is the cinnamon role although they started adding raisins and walnuts which I wasn't crazy about. Another newer favorite was a giant chocolate cupcake with a cherry on top but they were often out of them.

The cakes and pies are delicious with many options like cheesecake and creme and berry pies. Some are super rich and I'd eat half and save the other half for the next evening.

This was our go-to place when we needed a sweet fix and didn't feel like baking. The service was always friendly too. We took many friends here, many non-vegan and they all enjoyed it.

Pros: Many vegan options, Tasty
Cons: Some too rich, Busy
XoDamienne
XoDamienne

Pretty, sweet and flavorless

2 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2009

Eugeners will often direct you here. And they do have quite a selection and some nice outdoor seating with a great location near downtown and the Whitacre district.

But their goodies are never as tasty as they are pretty. More likely to put you in a diabetic coma. I go for pie or vegan cheesecake and usually find someone to share it with and cut it with strong coffee/tea.

Late night and early morning hours tend to have a line out the door.

Pros: Location, Atmosphere
Cons: Not very tasty, Can get expensive, Looong lines in the evening and morning

kindlizard
kindlizard

Thick as a brick

2 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2008

I think perhaps they changed recipe or chef over the years since I don't recall things being too sweet/ too heavy and dense. Either that or just time and experience and baking more on my own has generated more decadent experiences for sure than this place. We used to support this biz before they had the cafe, when they sold cakes out of a garage.

If I knew you were comin' I'd have baked a cake, if I didn't I make take out-of-towners here, but it does give vegan cakes a bad rap, and a lot of work can be exerted to overcome their notions of this place compare to other vegan cakes. My inlaws are some that make faces when mentioning vegan cakes due to this place, whereas they have had some other really good ones since yet this is the one bad one that stands out. However, on my own accord, their stuff is really not very good, it seems way too sweet and not airy enough. But I make awesome cakes too, so perhaps I am biased. But there is a great strictly bakery in Ptd, so it can be done well (see my top ten for info). This place has perhaps become too big and their quality needs more attention than its quantity.

Pros: cool slogan/ t shirt
Cons: low on flavor , poor texture
kir
kir

beautiful...heavy

2 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2008

This place is so cool, so you just have to go there. However, I don't find the treats to be as good as I want them to be. I realize this is just my opinion, but everything looks so beautiful and yummy, and to my taste, the things I've had were so HEAVY. I want a light flaky, lemony, fluffy lemon square, not a dense, thick, chewy, sugary bar that feels like a brick in my stomach. I had a quiche there once that could have used more flavor and again, been lighter. I would say that a chocolate eclair I had was quite good. Maybe you just have to find the right things for your taste. If I were hiking or biking across country on few dollars, I would stop there to REALLY FILL UP, but since I'm not, I will probably only go there when I have company in town. I'll take them because it is such a neat spot and I'll suggest we share something.

Pros: heavenly-looking, lots of choices, fun place
Cons: heavy, could use more flavor in certain treats
suecag
suecag

Best vegan peanut butter cups ever

4 Posted on 06 / 07 / 2008

I've made a good start at trying one of every fantastic vegan* treat here. The chocolate peanut butter cups are amazing. The Love Truffle is great. The Chocolate Pot is incredible. I just picked up a chocolate peanut butter brownie and it looks good. There are also some vegan* cake and pie slices that look terrific. There are only so many non-animal options but there is a good variety and all are clearly marked. You can order a whole vegan* cake or pie as well. They make wedding cakes too.

*Vegan - Treats are animal-product free but they don't use the term vegan because of sugar production uncertainty. Check out their website for more info: http://www.sweetlifedesserts.com/ingredients.htm.

The line gets very long around desert time which is why their voice mail says that they don't answer the phone after 6pm even though they are open until 11pm. It's hard to see the display case when others are waiting. Then when it is your turn you hold up the line if you couldn't see or decide quickly. Everything is great though so you can't go wrong.

Happy Cow does not allow me to choose 5 cows as my rating because they are not 100% vegetarian. I thought they were but I'm thinking that they probably have gelatin in some treats.

Pros: Chocolate peanut butter cups, chocolate cup of goodness, large non-animal selection
Cons: long lines

Dear Owner and Manager of Sweet Life Patisserie: