Serves meat, veg options available. Offers several vegetarian and a few vegan choices: sandwiches and salads. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by joannab
Tracy737
Tracy737

Cute place, great service, limited Vegan options

3 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2013

The cafe is adorable and the people who run it are wonderful. I think there were better vegan options for lunch, but we had dinner. The salad was great,but there was only one vegan entree and it was just ok. The dessert was vegan brownie and that was awesome!! The non-vegan food was excellent. Definatately try the Cannon Beach Hotel Cafe for lunch too....great vegan options and even vegan cupcakes!!! Also pizza a fetta will make pizza with no cheese and it was really good. All the coffee shops have soy, but Sleepy Monk was the best and even had vegan brownies.

Pros: cute, service, good drinks and wine
Cons: only limited vegan for dinner
Coffeechit
Coffeechit

Great Vegan Options!

4 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2012

We were a little worried about finding vegan food at the coast but we decided to try Sweet Basil's Cafe and I'm glad we did!

The lunch menu has more vegan options than the dinner menu but it looked like there were still several options and/or easily veganized menu items. The service was outstanding and the food was delicious.

I had the Zorba -- the Greek inspired wrap and it was yummy! Just ask them to leave off the feta. My partner had soup of the day (Creole bean soup) and the portobello panini. Both sandwiches come with cole slaw and chips. The slaw is oil based and very nice.

At the end of our meal, the server overwhelmed us with a HUGE list of vegan desserts. How do you choose just one? But moderation won out and we split a brownie.

It was a great experience and next time we're in or near Cannon Beach, I know where we're eating!

Pros: Tasty food, Good prices, Knowledgeable staff
Cons: Fairly small space, Meat on the menu
brittyn
brittyn

Pretty good vegan options

2 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2012

I had never even noticed this restaurant in my previous visits to Cannon Beach but am glad to know it's there now. I noticed that they had a vegan cheese option so I asked what they used. They told me soy cheese. I wanted to know what brand though so the woman asked one of the cooks and he pulled out a package of VEGGIE SLICES. I let them know this brand IS NOT VEGAN because it contains dairy and they just kept looking at the package and weren't very responsive. I hope they decide to stop serving that otherwise I wouldn't trust going back there again, who knows what other items they carry that aren't actually vegan that they claim to be. I ended up getting a vegetable sandwich which was good and I loved the coleslaw it came with! My friend got the red bean creole soup which was even better. For dessert I had the brownie which was also pretty good.

Pros: Better vegan options than elsewhere , Quiet
Cons: items labeled as vegan are NOT
Cherry24
Cherry24

Dinner menu didn't have vegan options

2 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2010

We went here last year for lunch and it was pretty good. I remember the service being pretty slow even though there were only two other tables. So today we thought we would see if they were open for dinner. They were but it was a "dinner and wine menu" I couldn't see anything vegan or vegetarian on the menu. They had the lunch menu up with quite a bit of vegan options but told me they weren't serving it. All of the meat products on the dinner menu made my stomach turn a little bit. Since we still had food from our picnic we went back to the car and ate that (it included organic, local ingredients, too). I don't think I'll be returning. If I want to have that much meat around my vegan food, I can go to any restaurant there. I was disappointed to say the least.

Pros: Vegan lunch options
Cons: Serve pork and other meat products.
  • johnsowa johnsowa

First I ant to thank our guests for their honest reviews about how we are doing. Let me address a key factor as for cross contamination of meat and vegetarian selections. There is none! We are a small place but I follow every precaution not to mix meat fish and veggies anywhere. We have one panini grill where one side is used for meat items and the other for veggie. If at any point we are forced to use both sides due to a rush of pork sandwiches the grill is brushed and cleaned before reuse. We pride ourselves in maintaining the highest standards in organic products as well as preparing them. At night our Tapas menu still offers vegetarian options as well as vegan. I venture to say we offer the most vegetarian-vegan options in Clatsop County. Unfortunately if we were to offer a vegetarian-vegan only menu we couldn't stay in business. We are also the only restaurant in the area offering gluten free selections on a regular basis. This entails my driving to Portland once a month to purchase the best gluten free bread rather than buying an off the shelf mass produced brand. Sweet Basil's Cafes mission is to provide a place where vegetarian and carnivores could both enjoy a fresh organic all natural meal and, I think we have accomplished that. So I really hope anyone that comes in and dines with us understands that we really do care and are committed to serving vegetarian meals but in our area it must be shared with non-vegetarians. John S Chef/Owner

celynki
celynki

Questionably Veg Options

3 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2010

This is quite a small location, and there is only one very small grill area. Therefore if you go, I would suggest you avoid the paninis--there is likely to be meat juice residue from other diner's sandwiches. I think this is unfortunately unavoidable due to the current setup. I imagine some of the soups and salads would work, if the management is careful about veg versus non-veg food prep!

Pros: good location, sweet atmosphere
Cons: some items presented as veg may not be
  • joannab joannab

I actually asked one time about that and the owner told me that they're really careful about cross-contamination of the meat and veggie dishes. I think they're actually doing a really good job considering the way other establishments treat vegetarians. I'm always having to ask at Subway (and other sandwich places) that they use a clean knife to cut through my veggie sandwich- and everyone seems irritated about it. Considering that paninis are cooked on different sides of the grill at Sweet Basil's, I'm not worried about it (and the fact that the owner is so willing to talk to people about how they separate things out is a HUGE plus in my book).

• kindlizard kindlizard

what did you wind up eating there? I also fell between soup and salad, see my review below.

Birdiedrew
Birdiedrew

Excellent!

4 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2010

This place has fresh local food with some great vegan/vegetarian options. The vegan ruben sandwich is the best I've ever had! I'm from Seattle and I'm used to good vegan food, a place like this is really amazing to find on the Oregon coast! This place is a real find. Great atmoshphere, wine and music also. Now open for dinner. Gluten free options are also available.

Pros: Great vegan, gluten free and veg options, fresh and local, atmosphere
kindlizard
kindlizard

good spot w a few caveats

3 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2010

Let me start by saying I like this cafe and would go here again. It did have an issue or two that I think need to be addressed.

The strengths:
The Coconut Curry Soup is extremely good. It is better than the soup I get at the local Thai place.

The Wraps are good from what my partner said (I don't eat them) and she said it was above average for sure.

MY selection was between samich and salad since I don't do wraps. THe samiches, like the vegan panini are pressed on the same press as the pork samiches. I can't go there. I know they work w limited space, but nothing ruins a vegan day like a shot of pig. I therefore opted for the salad. The salad was good, until I tasted compost. A large part of my salad had black instead of green. I hate to say it bc I like the place, but I must be honest. I like to assume that my salad was an aberration, not the norm.

I would go here again for friendly service, good beer, great soup, good music, and a good time! Try it out!

Pros: coconut soup, tunes
  • kindlizard kindlizard

owner, if you have issue w this review, let me know, I will rework it for you. I did want to let you know too

jojob
jojob

Really great!

4 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2010

This place is a hidden gem. Whenever I fly to Portland to visit my family I always request a trip to Cannon Beach and to Sweet Basil's! My favorite menu item is the vegan reuben, but the grilled cheese with sliced apples is a close second. I've tried almost every vegetarian dish on the menu, and while I liked some more than others, they're all amazing. I've tried a few different vegetarian soups here as well and they've all be really delicious. It's hard to even find vegetarian soup at a restaurant, let alone really good soup. If you're a vegetarian or vegan, this is one of your only options in town, but my non-veg family really enjoys it as well.
If I could give this place all 5 "cows", I would.

jocelynk
jocelynk

Mediocre

2 Posted on 11 / 23 / 2009

I was disappointed in the vegan reuben. While it was nice that they used Field Roast slices, the sandwich was thin and slapped together. The chips they served alongside the sandwich were stale.

Pros: vegan options
Cons: not worth price
  • johnsowa johnsowa

as the chef owner of Sweet Basil's I'm sorry you did not have a great experience at our cafe.I do however have to respond to your review. Our vegetarian Rueben is made with Field Roast slices, one of the best products on the market. It is flat and does not fold and stack like Pastrami. I put four slices per sandwich, one more than the recommended portion, a mound of sauerkraut, french dressing and two slices of swiss cheese or Vegan Cheese if requested, on whole wheat bread. All this goes on a Panini Grill which flattens the sandwich to some degree. It is one of our most popular vegetarian sandwiches. Our chips are gluten free all natural corn and we do not store it from day to day. So I have a difficult time understanding your negative review. We take great pride in what we serve, how it is served and customer satisfaction. We are less than 3 years old and are rated #1 on both Yelp and Trip Advisor. We sincerely appreciate our guests reviews good or bad when they are justified.

tokyogirl83
tokyogirl83

Delicious & Healthy!

4 Posted on 11 / 16 / 2009

Among all the fried and battered seafoods of cannon beach lies a quaint, cozy, healthy cafe popping with fresh organic and healthy menu options! They're vegan, vegetarian friendly as well as offering several options for meat eaters too! Would definitely go again!

Pros: organic, healthy, fresh!
Cons: none!
Jo R
Jo R

Really great little cafe

4 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2009

We recently visited Cannon Beach and had problems finding veg friendly food. Luckily, I had checked Happy Cow before traveling and we knew about Sweet Basil's Cafe. After a long hike at Ecola State Beach, we enjoyed a fine lunch at this hidden gem of a restaurant. The service was great and so was the food. We had a piping hot bowl of Thai Curry Veg Soup, a pesto wrap and apple cheddar grilled sandwich. Everything was so good, we even decided to splurge and eat dessart, which we rarely do. The chocolate bread pudding was to die for. If you are a vegetarian or vegan, this is your only option besides Pizza in town.

Pros: Friendly staff, excellant food
Cons: Lunch only
  • celynki celynki

It's not true that it's the only vegan or vegetarian option in town! Morris's Fireside Restaurant has a nightly vegan option. JP's has an EXCELLENT vegan vegetable pasta and often has vegan soups.

LacyC
LacyC

Super Friendly and Wonderful Food!

4 Posted on 08 / 19 / 2009

This is a great little hidden cafe in Cannon Beach, They have several vegan and vegetarian options. I love the vegan portabella panini. The cole slaw is absolutely delicious and it comes with most sandwiches. They usually have vegan soups available too. They use as much local and organic ingredients as possible

They also have a rotating desert menu with several vegan options.

The older man who owns the place is very friendly and pleasant. The service is pretty quick too!

Love this place!

Pros: Super good Food, Tons of vegan options, Friendly Service
Cons: The hours are limited
skymonkey
skymonkey

beautiful little cafe with great vegan food

4 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2009

this is a great little cafe. we were lucky enough to get their before they close at around 4 or 5pm. i think they only serve lunch; call ahead to confirm. the dining room is small but beautifully decorated. the menu has many vegan options which are marked. we tried some of their vegan sandwiches and melt: very delicious. don't miss their vegan dessert. we would give them 5 happycows if they are fully vegetarian.

joannab
joannab

This place was great!

4 Posted on 11 / 17 / 2008

I went here back in March of this year and it was amazing! It's super small, but the food well makes up for it. I have a grilled cheese with sliced apples in it. I also had some sort of soup made with vegetarian (it may have been vegan) sausage.

The portions were nice and it wasn't expensive at all. I'd definitely recommend!

Pros: Great food!, friendly staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Sweet Basil's Cafe: