Small Rutherford vegan bakery specializing in cupcakes. Carries vegan chocolate bars, cinnamon buns and cake balls in addition to cupcakes. more-less

First Review by calead910
s144799
s144799

Amazing food!!!!!

5 Posted on 12 / 25 / 2013

You would never know the baked goods are veg unless you were told. I travel from a Philadelphia suburb to get these along with Rutherford Pancake House down the street.

Pros: VERY good
passedout
passedout

Nice selection, but a little too sweet...

2 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2013

I admire the efforts here and their selection is great. The place is very cute and the owners are always very nice. However, the majority of cupcakes I've had here just taste way to sweet. I'm not sure if they're using sugar, agave, stevia, etc, but the icing on their cupcakes is just too much to take. Don't get me wrong, I love a sweet baked good. I've had better luck with the cookies.

Pros: big selection, friendly staff, nice shop
Cons: a little too sweet
Callarouge
Callarouge

Sweet tooth without the guilt

5 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2011

I love Sweet Avenue. They have the most amazing cupcakes. I got hooked on this place after a friend introduced me to it. Although I wasn't vegan at the time I did have many vegan and vegetarian friends so I made Sweet Avenue my go to place to pick up "birthday" cupcakes and snacks to give my health-consious friends. I know some people are turned off my vegetarian food saying it lacks taste (well the meat-eaters think so) but the yummy baked goods at Sweet Avenue are amazing. So even my non-vegetarian friends love this place.

Pros: Variety of flavors, Delicious, Eye-catching designs
Cons: Pricey (but quality is worth it)

MrsMaggie
MrsMaggie

Nice place

3 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2011

I want to start by saying this place is nice but... I wish there was more selection, I know its a small business so they want to minimize waste. However I am not in the area often I have been there about three times already every time its basically cookies or cupcakes. So this place comes off more as a cupcake shop than really a bakery since you can choose from probably 15 types of cupcakes. The cupcakes are good but it kinda leaves me wanting more, like cannolis, eclairs, and other baked goods.

Pros: Tastey
Cons: Price, Selection
VeggieFitness
VeggieFitness

How Friggin Cute And Cool.

5 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2010

My boyfriend and I went to Sweet Avenue today and I am still blown away by their product. The place is tiny and cute and reminds me of a REAL old school bakery. Just the goodies, some seat and tables and your good to go. I had the red velvet cupcake and it was amazing, one of the most moist cup cakes I have ever had. My boyfriend had the Oreo one and it was one of the most decedent delicious things EVER. The icing to cake ratio is perfect, nothing is too sweet and you can tell they are not pumped with artificial ingredients, they don't taste chalky and heavy. I did find these little guys to be quite filling, which threw me off guard since they are not huge. $3.00-$3.50 is totally fair for a vegan cupcake and we will most definitely be returning. I thought the owners were nice, bear in mind they are not only running that business, they are working the registers and baking. That is a lot to handle.

Pros: Delicious., Cute., Ingenius.
Jaelus
Jaelus

Heavenly

5 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2010

My wife and I (both vegan) come here to get our cupcake fix every time we're in the area. The selection of cupcakes is always amazingly creative and everything tastes like heaven. Everyone is always so friendly too!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Good value
traciebee
traciebee

A Little Taste of Heaven

5 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2010

Out of all the cupcake shops/bakeries in the New Jersey/ New York area (vegan and non-vegan), Sweet Avenue Bake Shop is, by far, the best. The cake is dense, yet moist and the amount of icing they use is perfect; just enough to make it sweet but not so much that it's overpowering. The flavors are great too.

Not only do they have amazing cupcakes, but they also have brownies, cookies and sometimes even muffins (call ahead)! And for those of you who love icing, they have icing shots for $1. And For you gluten free folks, they have a cupcake for you too!

They also carry Go Max Go vegan chocolate bars (Twilight, Mahalo, Jokerz, Buccaneer)

Basically, this place is a little slice of heaven so you should go there and try one of everything. And if you can't try one of everything, at least try the Chocolate Snowball. Your life will never be the same again.

Pros: delicious food, good value, friendly staff
NicoleF
NicoleF

LOVE!

5 Posted on 07 / 05 / 2010

I have been eating Sweat Avenue's cupcakes weekly for the passed 2 years. Love Love Love. Cotton candy, and Banana cream pie are my fav. My husband loves the Dark side of the moon. Honestly I haven't met a Sweat Avenue Cupcake I haven't liked.

Pros: Cupcake heaven, Yummy, Friendly Staff
L2Lulu
L2Lulu

The choices!

5 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2010

Finally made a pilgrimage from Manhattan to Rutherford and boy was it worth it. So many options most of which vary each day. I am amazed by the options and the detail paid to each and every sumptuous cupcake. Thus far I've sampled Dark Side of the Moon (a classic yellow cupcake topped with the fluffiest chocolate buttercream) and Snowball (chocolate version) a Chocolate cake (also available in vanilla) topped with fluffy coconut buttercream and flaked coconut. I have 5 more varieties in my fridge to try, including a vegan red velvet cupcake topped with True Blood photo decoration in honor of tonight's Season 3 premiere. They also had World Cup cupcakes and have made special creations for other noteworthy events in world and pop culture. I like the creativity.

I liked that while the shop is completely vegan they don't shout it. They let the be cupcakes be cupcakes first and vegan second which I think is key to moving veganism into the mainstream and pushing it toward a universal sense of that which is "normal." They do post that their philosophy is cruelty free, that they're dedicated to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. THAT'S the kind of statement a customer can sink her teeth into -- while sinking her teeth into a Black and White cupcake!

A note about the previous comment of the staff's "unfriendliness." I noticed they weren't the loquacious type at first but rather where taking care of the Saturday afternoon business. When I started the dialog they were more than willing to engage me and were genuinely appreciative and friendly. SO unfriendly staff?? -- no way!

Pros: variety, quality, creativity
Cons: out of the way (for me)
AshleyxMichelle
AshleyxMichelle

Good Cupcakes!

5 Posted on 06 / 05 / 2010

The cupcakes were very good. My favorite was the cinnamon sticky bun. The boston cream was also good. They sell different cupcakes different days.

Pros: good cupcakes, totally vegan
onlyahuman
onlyahuman

Trick your friends!

3 Posted on 05 / 03 / 2010

These cupcakes are great, so great that all non-vegans will say "This is Vegan??" they claim to have been voted "Best Cupcake in NJ" beating out non-vegan cupcakes. Now that Papa Ganache is open they'll be given a run for their money. The downside? My girlfriend won't eat here because the ingredients are mostly artificial.

Pros: great taste
Cons: unhealthy, artificial ingredients
  • sweetavenue sweetavenue

Just wanted to clear this up--What "artificial ingredients" are you referring to? Our ingredients are almost entirely natural (and mostly organic). The only artificial ingredients we use are food colors in some frostings and sprinkles. We're always more than happy to point you towards the cupcakes, cookies, etc without these ingredients if you ask about it.

heavymetta
heavymetta

Sweet Avenue is in my Top 5 vegan cucpake places

4 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2010

And I've tried (and baked) a LOT of vegan cupcakes. I was there on a Saturday, so I did not get to try the Tiramisu, unfortunately, but I was completely surprised at the delicious-ness of the Little Cutie (chocolate ganache-filled)and the Strawberry Fields. My brtoher loved the Fluffernutter and the Dark Side of the Moon.
Cute little place. Salesgirl was very sweet. The chocolate chip cookies were a little bland though. Cheaper than the NYC V cupcake shops. Totally worth it if you're nearby!

Pros: reasonably priced, clean, yummy
Cons: very small, cookies a bit bland, they don't have brownies
clashbabi
clashbabi

cuuuuute ((pink)) vegan cupcake bakery

5 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2009

i'm not gonna lie, i wish this bakery was in chicago ((closer to home)) instead of middle-of-nowhere new jersey.

((dear owners, please open bakeries just like this one in every major city... pleeeease, pretty pleeeease))

thhe shop is so cute and sooooo pink.

the cupcakes are fantastic. 1 is not enough, so get 12.

if you are hangin in manhattan, it IS worth the trip up to Rutherford to visit this place.

Amanda R
Amanda R

Can't get enough!

5 Posted on 11 / 28 / 2009

I have liked every cupcake I've had from here (probably about 12). They are all so creative, and the cake and icing are perfect.

I have also eaten their cookies and brownie bites, which are just okay.

Pros: Friendly staff, Amazing cupcakes, Great environment
Cons: Too many choices, A bit expensive, It will make you fat
silic0nsilence
silic0nsilence

As close to perfect as possible

4 Posted on 10 / 07 / 2009

I have not met a person that does not Love this place. Everything is vegan, and everything is fantastic. Even meat-eaters love these cupcakes more than non-vegan cupcakes. And to make things better, they offer vegan cookies and doughnuts. I drive 55 minutes to get to this place, and it is MORE than worth it.

Now there are two problems. The folks at Sweet Avenue are not the friendliest, and certainly not business people. They may say two words to you when you order your cupcakes. This is not to say that they're mean, they're just not friendly. From a business point of view, they make a ton of money. But, their cupcakes are a bit expensive (still worth the gouging so it's hard to say how much is too much.) Also, they charge you the same rate for 1000 cupcakes as they would for 1. They offer no discounts, on anything, for bulk orders.

Those two things aside, I'm glad the bakery exists. Its delicious and vegan and worth the minor issues the store has.

Pros: Delicious, Lots of options
Cons: Unfriendly staff, Kind of expensive
calead910
calead910

Run don't walk there...

5 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2009

My friend works in Newark and goes there on his lunch break probably twice a week. I live an hour away but when I'm in the area I MUST stop and get a cupcake. I love fluffernutter, Lemon lavender, Cookie dough, Sexy Sadie. Had the mint one once and didn't love it that much but everything else I've tried was wonderful. I went to Montreal and there was a fantastic (non vegan)cupcake place there that had the best cupcakes a few years ago and Sweet Avenue is the only place that comes close. I've tried many cupcake places in my lifetime.

Pros: Everything
Cons: Nothing
  • Jeffrey Jeffrey

Hi Calead910, your review was helpful. I am also a big fan of the vegan cupcakes. They can make your day sometimes.

Dear Owner and Manager of Sweet Avenue Bake Shop: