Sweet Art

Bakery specializing in cupcakes, cookies, cakes and vegan brownies. The lunch menu is mostly vegan. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American

First Review by gr8vegan
MissAlanna
MissAlanna

I love Sweet Art

4 Posted on 10 / 03 / 2013

I recently moved to Chicago and I've yet to find a spot that beats the cupcakes at Sweet Art! She has different flavors everyday and they can run out pretty quickly. Depending on the day, there will also be vegan cookies, brownies, and/or cinnamon rolls. The food tastes really good too.

I recommend the SweetBurger or if you like a little bbq, the Make it Funky burger. & of course, a cupcake (or 2):)

Pros: Great food, Yummy desserts
Cons: Small building, Long lines, Slow at taking orders, only one worker
LollyDuRand
LollyDuRand

YAY VEGAN CUPCAKES

5 Posted on 07 / 18 / 2012

Honestly, one of my fav vegan spots in town. I go here usually once a week for my chocolate fix.

The staff is extremely friendly and they always are happy to point you in the direction of which items are vegan.

The chocolate chip cookies are to-die-for and you would never guess that they are vegan. Also, the brownies are probably the best (vegan or non) brownies I've had in my life! The cupcakes rotate flavors and are always creative. Truly never a let down when it comes to the desserts.

The food menu can become confusing sometimes as they keep changing items and where the menu is displayed. However, everything is clearly marked vegan and/or GF which is extremely helpful.

Best food items: school house pizza, mac n' cheeze

St. Louis's ONLY Vegan Burger Bar!

Not to mention, the place is decorated in original paintings by Cbabi, an amazing painter!

Pros: super star staff, amazing dessert, best pizza and brownies!
Cons: they're not open 7 days a week
Makkah
Makkah

Perfect.

5 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2012

The best vegan sweets I've ever tasted! The food (depending on what you get) can sometimes be a little on the greasy side. I'm not sure if they have seasonal menus, but I've seen some really good options come and go. But I can't hate. This place is amazing.

Jocelyn48
Jocelyn48

Sweet Art

5 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2011

Delicious, healthy lunch spot! Excellent food, carry out available. My lunch girls and I eat here often and always have a great experience. I love the Flora wrap. The soups are a great winter staple - I've never had one that I didn't love.

Pros: Great food, Great service, Delicious desserts
fondducoeur
fondducoeur

Yay for Sweet Art!

5 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2010

I have been to Sweet Art twice since recently moving back home to St. Louis. I am so thrilled to have a restaurant like this in my hometown.
Their menu is not huge, but it is all vegetarian, and most menu items can be made vegan. I have tried the lentil-y Sweet Burger which I was pleased with, and also a burrito containing their Flad chili which was simply delicious. There also other items on the menu that I am excited to try, including nachos and a BLT.
As far as the desserts go, there have been vegan options both times (although only one or two per time). I have tried the vegan brownie (best I have ever had) and 2 vegan cupcakes (including an awesome French toast variation).
Over all, Sweet Art is a very welcome addition to St. Louis. The ambiance is pleasant and quirky (love the paintings for sale on the walls), and the food is good. I'm sure I will be going back again and again.

Pros: All vegetarian, Vegan desserts, Brunch on Saturdays
Cons: Closes at 6 PM
jlo5616
jlo5616

Okay but they need more vegan sweets!!!

3 Posted on 07 / 30 / 2010

We stopped in Sweet Arts on our way west as we thought they would have a vegan cupcake, brownie, or other treat. We were very disappointed that not a single one of their baked goods was vegan. We did try their vegan BLT and the veggie burger, both were okay but nothing outstanding. The BLT just used Light Life Smart Bacon, nothing special. The veggie burger was a bit better, it was a homemade patty with lots of lentils but not a lot of flavor. It was a really hot day when we went in and we were also disappointed that the drinks in the fridge were barely cool, not refreshing at all. The cafe was packed with no seats left so we had to take it out, and walk way up the street to our car as they had no designated parking. Kind of a bummer for us!

Pros: Mostly vegan lunch menu, Some homemade items
Cons: Few vegan baked goods, Limited seating, On-street parking
freddyferret
freddyferret

I'm impressed!

5 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2010

We tried this today thanks to a Groupon I got. The only bad thing I can say is that I wish it was closer! The food was great, with a lot of vegan choices. The brownies are some of the best I've ever had, vegan or not. The decor and atmosphere are really cool, and the staff is friendly.

I used to think VegaDeli was the best but this makes them look like a cheap knockoff. Major kudos to Sweet Art. They got everything right and we will be regulars there.

Pros: lots of vegan choices, good prices, fun atmosphere
Tigra220
Tigra220

SWEET Indeed!

5 Posted on 09 / 27 / 2009

I had heard about this place, but because it's so far from where I live, and the fact that they close pretty early (630pm) it took me a while to get to it. Boy was I missing out.

I've been back so many times to order so many different vegan menu items...
1- the Sweet Burger (I added vegan bacon, avocado, and sauteed onions) was SO darn good that I left but felt compelled to go back moments later and order another one to take home. It's packed with lentils (aka protein!), and it is one big burger! Also, they sell it with a vegan spread that is soooo good! I wish I could figure out what it was... You have to pay extra for anything other than lettuce and tomatoes (which I don't eat), and that is understandable for the veggie bacon, avocados, etc (they have a vegan cheese, for those of you who are into that sort of thing). However, I personally don't think you should be charged extra for onions.

2- I didn't like the Botanical wrap at first, but then I realized that it was just the cucumbers (which I don't like either...lol) that threw it off for me. Once I took those out, the wrap was yummy. I'm not a fan of peanuts or anything with peanut flavoring, but this sauce had a very nice spicy kick to it and that made it enjoyable for me.

3- Ok there are 2 wraps that are similar, the Flora and the Cleveland (which I get w/o tomatoes, cucumbers or the optional feta cheese). They are both quite yummy and large enough to eat 1/2 of a wrap one day and save the other half for the next day's lunch or dinner.

4- The 39th, which is basically a BLT (minus the T for me), but their vegan house spread makes this sandwich anything but "basic". The bread is toasted, the vegan bacon is hot, and the lettuce is cool. It's also big enough to either share or save one half of it, if you can.

5- Flad - It's vegan chili...with sweet potatoes! Who woulda thunk?! This is THE best vegan chili that I have ever tasted! Seasoned perfectly! Perfect for autumn!! You can get it as a burrito or as nachos (with tortillas, no veg cheese for me!)

6- The vegan brownies (Best EVERRR!) are so thick, yet moist and chocolaty (eat warm w/vegan ice cream = heaven!).

7- Vegan cupcakes!!!! I've had the Harmony, Cookies and Creme, Raspberry Lemon, and the all Chocolate, and they ALL were delicious! Go early on Friday and Saturday if you want to snag vegan cupcakes, otherwise they WILL disappear!

They are closed on Sundays and Mondays. Check their website for hours of operation.

Pros: LARGE portions!, delicious vegan foods and desserts!!, free wi-fi
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Great new place in St. Louis

4 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2009

I don't know why, but I was under the impression that this was just a bakery. Needless to say I ate (too much) right before I went here; sadness because the food they were taking out to people looked amazing! Next time...

So what did I order? I got some Vegan cupcakes and they were awesome - I liked the frosting on it the best. I liked the decor of the place and the menu had tons of vegan stuff.

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Saturdays are vegan cupcake day!

4 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2009

This is just an outstanding place. Great place to meet friends for lunch. They have a vegan burger made of Match & lentils and a botanical wrap. I get the Botanical w/o the peanut sauce or avocado and sub ketchup and its amazing! I really like how you can select between fruit and chips! I go for the fruit! But if you want to have a celebration on Saturday (or via pre order) they always have amazing vegan cupcakes and brownies!

Pros: excellent food, friendly service, outside seating
Cons: burnt smell inside

Dear Owner and Manager of Sweet Art: