All-vegan cafe that serves a variety of baked goods and a rotating food menu. Sunday is brunch. Its baked goods are sold at a variety of retail stores in the area. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, American, International, Organic, Take-out, Bakery

Tue-Sat 11:00am-8:00pm, Sun 11:00am-5:00pm

First Review by VeganInBethesda
charlieb
charlieb

Super Desserts & Great Food

Posted on 08 / 04 / 2015

If you don't stop in and get food from here when you are in the area you are missing out. Everything that I have had there is really good and priced right. Whenever I am over in the area I run in and grab a meal and you should too!

Pros: Variety of menu (changes daily), Friendly staff
Cons: more drink options would be nice, parking (not their fault though)
cookiem
cookiem

Vegan on the DC border

Posted on 08 / 04 / 2015

Fellow vegans informed me this place was not worth the time and travel investment since DC has so many vegan choices. Reluctantly, I went here, and surprisingly, I was not hating this place by any measure. This place is good, solid vegan cooked food in the Soul Food and American vegan style. They have brunch on Sunday, too. The cake offerings are simple but at least they lost ingredients and have about half of their choices as gluten free.

While you can go to the local markets for their selection of vegan cake and cookies, they have a few extra choices here like quick breads- muffins, corn bread. However, the reason to go here is probably for the food. A nice hefty plate of one of the vegan main dishes of the day with 2-3 sides to veg it up. If you can tolerate gluten and soy, you have many more choices since they have plenty of fake meat that is seitan, tofu, soy or gluten based in some way. They are delicious though with a more complex flavor profile than just salt, pepper, oil and Braggs. The veggies are fresher here than other similar vegan places, and again, better tasting. So, I would recommend this place for the cooked food before recommending some other similar cooked food vegan Soul food.

Stay for the food and grab some cake to go. They have a unique mac n cheese that doesn't taste like vegan mayonnaise and salt. Sandwiches and some cold sides are also pre-made. Small menu keeps it fresh, but not as expansive as other vegan eateries. It's just nice to have another vegan bakery with good vegan food. The staff seems to be hit or miss, but it's the food that brings you in. If you are unsure, you can ask if you can sample some food- pretty nice staff!

Pros: All vegan, Gluten free cake, Good prices
Cons: Not raw friendly, Needs more beverage choices
jonkatz5
jonkatz5

A vegan gem!

Posted on 07 / 26 / 2015

This is a vegan gem in terms of its food, nice staff, experience, atmosphere, and bonus of being the baking headquarters of the label that you see at MOM's and beyond. The food is similar to that of Everlasting Life and Woodlands. May such restaurants continue to flourish!

Pros: Excellent food., Nice sweets., Nice people.

lazylimabean
lazylimabean

Mediocre food, but kind staff.

Posted on 06 / 27 / 2015

I tried several of the fish dishes, sweet potatoes, collards, mac 'n' cheese, stuffed plantains, and chickpeas but nothing was particularly tasty, just alright. The staff was friendly and helpful though, and told me what each dish was.

NatureGirl215
NatureGirl215

Love At First Sight

Posted on 06 / 19 / 2015

While visiting a friend in the DC area, he told me about this place he wanted to take me to that had the best vegan breakfast & vegan mac-n-cheese that he's ever tasted which shocked me considering he's a meat eater. So we went for breakfast & my goodness was it awesome. I had tofu scramble, veggie sausage, & cheese grits. The atmosphere was very cozy & the service was awesome. This place will definitely be a staple for me when I visit again.

Pros: Food has lots of flavor & fresh. The baked goods a
Cons: Wished it stayed open later.
Katie Le
Katie Le

Fabulous unique soul food & baked goods!

Posted on 04 / 30 / 2015

This is one of the coolest and most unique places I've ever been to. I loved the personalized no-frills service, but I know it can be a little confusing for people who are used to having a menu or a little more clarity in the ordering process. We got our wedding cake here because it was delicious and infinitely less expensive than Sticky Fingers. And the cake was terrific! I have also eaten here and really enjoyed the savory / soul food. It's right next door to the Glut, a natural foods shop. Mount Ranier is such a cool interesting neighborhood and I'm so glad to have found Sweet & Natural! The holiday butter-balls (Russian balls?) are SO GOOD, but everything is.

HappyToo
HappyToo

Another great meal

Posted on 01 / 17 / 2015

Vegan mac&cheeze, spagitty and meet balls, with kale, yummy!
Fun and compatent staff.

Pros: Food , Staff, Prices
Cons: Parking
veggiefox
veggiefox

Good food, not-so-good service

Posted on 04 / 07 / 2014

The food here is delicious. Best pancakes I've ever eaten. The mac & cheese lives up to its hype. Everything here I've tasted is good.

It's a clean place with a fine atmosphere, though nothing fancy.

On the other hand, the service isn't so hot. There's no menu, nothing posted on the walls to explain what you'll pay for what combination of food items. First-timers, be prepared to ask when you get to the counter and then try to make up your mind while the line behind you waits.

My first time there, I didn't know when I was supposed to pay, and they forgot to ring me up. After eating, I finally went back to the counter to ask for my bill. The woman told me another employee would be out to ring me up. I sat down to wait, and I think they forgot about me. I had to go up and ask again.

Also, be advised they don't serve coffee.

But I'm still giving them 4 stars because their food is delicious and it will fill you up.

Pros: delicious food, fair prices, best pancakes anywhere
Cons: inadequate service, no coffee
VeganInBethesda
VeganInBethesda

A rare find in DC area

Posted on 02 / 07 / 2012

We first discovered their baked goods at Whole Foods. The double chocolate cake and the blueberry lemon cake are my favorite (so moist and not overly sweet). I checked out their web site and discovered that they now also have a cafe that serves vegan food. My husband and I ate there two days in a roll, and we also bought many dishes to bring home to try (they know how to cook!!). We like everything that we tried and we are just so happy to discover this vegan cafe. This will be one of our regular places to eat from now on. We live in downtown Bethesda where we are surrounded by all kinds of restaurants, but there is no vegan place like Sweet and Natural. We normally walk to everything in downtown Bethesda, but we sure do not mind getting into our car to drive to Sweet and Natural. I wish there were more places like Sweet and Natural in DC area. This is one of the very few true vegan restaurants in DC area.

Pros: Excellent food, great value, friendly staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Sweet and Natural: