Indian food and grocery owned by a lifelong vegetarian. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Lacto, Indian

paperanimal
paperanimal

My favorite local restaurant

Posted on 09 / 23 / 2014

Great food that never disappoints! Everything is vegetarian, and if the staff knows you're vegan (my boyfriend is they always remember), they will make sure your food is vegan, and doubtless they'll remember next time you come. They have a great Thali that I almost always get, and it's a big meal! The environment can be a little jarring to some people, as it's half-restaurant, half-grocery store, and little bit like you're sitting in someone's living room. Some people might consider this a con but I think of it as part of its quirky charm.

Pros: helpful staff, many options, great value
Cons: small dining room
EJAEarth
EJAEarth

Repeat Customer

Posted on 09 / 09 / 2014

Love it! Delicious, authentic, efficient, friendly, inexpensive, and awesome little store!

Pros: Authentic, Delicious Food, Friendly service
Cons: small
Scarletleaf
Scarletleaf

Great food, hilarious staff!

Posted on 10 / 26 / 2013

I haven't eaten at many Indian restaurants, so cannot compare. When you walk in, it smells like home cooking.

We enjoyed the food - great variety, with many options. The gentleman who served us really made the meal memorable. He was so funny and kind... very grandfatherly, and in a way that had us laughing throughout our dinner.

My only suggestion is that if you really can't take spice, tell them you want all of your food "mild".
Updated from previous review on Saturday October 26, 2013

Updated from previous review on Saturday October 26, 2013

Pros: Tasty, Huge selection, True home cooking
Cons: Spicy unless you specify

MikeAdams
MikeAdams

Vegetarian restaurant in Greenville, SC

Posted on 06 / 04 / 2013

What a wonderful lunch experience and the food was great too! Mr. Parikh is a delightful man and a lifelong vegetarian himself. I am looking forward to my next visit to the area

ErinFergus
ErinFergus

Gotta Try It!

Posted on 05 / 16 / 2013

This is definitely a tiny place, but the staff is friendly. I went with my parents for our first visit, and the owner came to our table to explain how they cooked all of our dishes and to check on how we were doing. We all prefer mild food, and they made sure nothing was too spicy for us. I'll be going back!

Pros: Good service, Interesting grocery items
Cons: Small, Bright lighting
Meesh121
Meesh121

Best Indian in Greenville

Posted on 03 / 13 / 2013

It's so much better than all of the other Indian places in Greenville combined.

Pros: Delicious food, Super friendly service, Great prices
Cons: The interior could use a vamp
aadams1217
aadams1217
  • non-vegetarian

Owners super nice and tasty food

Posted on 09 / 17 / 2010

My boyfriend and I stopped drove to Greenville to watch the US Cycling Championships, and I came on here in search of a vegan restaurant. We arrived at Swad 10 minutes before closing time and the owners happily welcomed us.

It's not really a "high-end" restaurant. It's more of a hybrid between an Indian food store and a small family-owned restaurant. Low-key and casual. And the owners were more than happy to talk to us about all the spices they added to the food and to give us more rice, if we needed it.

Personally, I thought the curried veggies were a tad to spicy for my liking, but maybe that's because I'm not very schooled on Indian food and mostly eat milder foods. I had to get three refills on water, though. And I needed more rice to balance out the spiciness. Just a caveat if you don't really enjoy very spicy food.

Pros: friendly owners, tasty food
Cons: a tad too spicy
coconutgirl
coconutgirl

No more mothballs in the restrooms!

Posted on 09 / 01 / 2010

The owner removed the mothballs from the bathrooms recently, so SWAD is now mothball-free! Hurray!

Pros: vegetarian, healthy cuisine, friendly staff
Cons: Food very spicy
askantik
askantik

Delicious!

Posted on 02 / 06 / 2010

Been here twice and loved it both times. Owners are very nice and will make it however you want. The inside is drab but clean and the grocery store has some neat items. Wish it was closer to where I live.

calicobeard
calicobeard

Great Indian, mostly vegan and cheap

Posted on 02 / 01 / 2010

I just tried Swad for lunch today. It was fantastic. The owner was also my server. I asked him what, on the menu, was vegan. He indicated that everything was vegan, except two dishes that had dairy in them. They don't serve any meat or eggs there. He even specially had the roti I had with my meal, prepared with a coating of olive oil instead of ghee. I was also given a demonstration of how to eat the appetizer (Puri Pani, I think) I ordered. Just very friendly and helpful service.
The food was excellent as well.
They've been in Greenville for 14 years, so I'm a bit embarrassed I haven't found this place sooner.
My only complaint was that the service was a bit slow. Normally this is fine for me, but I was on my lunch break today. But I will definitely be going back.

Pros: vegan, price, friendly service
Cons: service a little slow
suzlaz
suzlaz

Home cooked Vegitarian!!!

Posted on 01 / 15 / 2010

Great home cooked foods with nice spices, and an Indian fare market to boot! Just ask for Vegan -or- no gluten choices!

Pros: Vegan, low sugar, low salt
Cons: appears old, needs updated interior

Dear Owner and Manager of Swad: