Long-time established Indian vegetarian food restaurant. Try the dosas. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian
9515 N Lamar Ste 156
Austin, Texas 78753
512-997-7923

Open Mon-Thur 11:30am-8:30pm, Fri-Sun 11:30am-9:30pm.

First Review by Masalaflower
mathimp
mathimp

Can't go wrong with good food.

4 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2010

No service No atmosphere just good food... and my indian friends claim it is authentic.
I recommend you bring your own spork and enjoy.

Pros: food , taste, flavor
Raquel
Raquel

Mmm Yes, Swad!

5 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2010

Yes, Swad is one of Austin's best kept restaurant secrets, and we are eating dinner there once a week at least! We found them through the local restauranteur review book called "The Fearless Critic" - a wonderful review which holds true!

What I like to do is share a masala dosa and paratha shak, and also order their fabulous eggplant pakoras and kachi dabeli TO GO, for lunches in the days that follow.

Oh, and you have to try their coconut-rose-ice cream drink called "Falooda" - it's totally awesome, especially with a savoury hot plate of samosas or pakora!

By the way, the bathrooms are always super clean, I like that! And their staff has remained consistent over the years, with the family-owners managing.

And now open 7 days a week!!!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday September 03, 2008

Pros: authentic homestyle!, friendly staff, astounding thali platters
Cons: need more eco-friendly containers, not many english translations...
  • Raquel Raquel

P.S. They now have an easy-to-read listing on the Northwend Mall's businesses sign on Lamar Blvd.

MickShan
MickShan

Crap shoot

2 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2010

Some people find it romantic to visit an establishment so clearly unwelcoming to non-Indians. Occasionally, some staff are blatantly rude. Others just don't have a strong enough command of English to be helpful. Maybe they just don't get the whole hospitality thing where they come from. I don't know how a previous reviewer could call this "vegan friendly." There may be vegan dishes on the menu, but when I asked which dishes didn't contain ghee or yogurt, the staff couldn't help me at all and the nice young woman (she really was) looked distressed to be spoken to in English.

A cockroach sighting caused one member of our party to go all shivery and stop eating, but I never saw any. All that being said, I've eaten at Swad twice. Once I ordered two dishes that were both awful. Last night I went there with about 8 friends and every single dish was fantastic. I have lived across the street from Swad for years, and if I could order vegan there, I'd eat there frequently (I'm not germaphobic, and I don't really care that some of the proprietors are unwelcoming).

Pros: authentic, delicious
Cons: unreliable, heavy on dairy, inhospitable
gulabjamon
gulabjamon

Best Vegetarian Thalis in Austin

5 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2008

This all-veg establishment (very important factor for me, as I don't like animal corpses involved in the kitchen) has amazing thali platters for the six-tastes sensation experience (9.95 now), accompanied by your choice of breads: nan, poori (deep fried puffy), paratha (flaky handmade griddle bread), and roti (sort of like flour tortillas). Have eaten there since just after they opened 5 years ago, and it's been consistently great. I personally have no problem that English explanations of native dishes are not on the menu, as I hardly ever order anything but the THALI platter or MASALA DOSA because they are so fantastic. We have introduced over a dozen native Texan friends to the place, and they love Swad now too! This is not a fancy restaurant, but it is cheery, clean, and authentic. In the evenings, there is a security guard for the parking lot, and I always feel safe, even though the neighborhood has gotten a bit dicey. Regarding the previous review, heck, if you're worried about being overcharged, simply observe the register when you are ordering at the counter!!! That's what I do, anywhere where they have those fast-food pre-programmed touchpads, because unintentional errors can happen. I have found Swad's hardworking staff to be gracious and helpful...

Pros: 100% vegetarian, Scrumptious thali platters, Quick service for most items
Cons: Takeout containers are not eco-friendly, Paper towels in bathroom run out alot
Malavya
Malavya

watch out!

2 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2008

firstly, and most important; they overcharged my credit card twice and refuse to acknowledge any worng doing. This is a huge concern seeing that another has just complained of the same happenings. Look out. Also, I was charged a differnet price for THali plate then others in line. I watched. Not good.
As a vegetarian in Austin I look forward to a vege experience and was displeased with the food and service. Rotis were extra greasy and the Thali plate was cheaply done. One small piece of Paneer and the daals had little to no lentil. The Samosa was soaked in grease and almost inedible. This all was observed prior to my knowing my credit card was overcharged again.

Pros: Vegetarian
Cons: cheats, greasy, poor service
915phil
915phil

Good, but Beware the Language Barrier

4 Posted on 04 / 03 / 2008

The food here is delicious. The catch is, Swad is for Indians, by Indians. That means authentic and tasty food--but it also means that Swad really only depends on its Indian customers (probably 90-95% of their clientèle), and this place is NOT outsider-friendly. Not that they are rude in any way, just don't expect any descriptions of the dishes or assistance in ordering in the English language. Makes me wish I spoke Hindi, but sadly I don't, and rarely end up with anything like what I wanted. I will probably not go back without one of my Indian friends to interpret. If you speak an Indian language, or are just otherwise extremely well versed in that region's cuisine: GO NOW. Otherwise, make a date with a friend who is qualified to order from their English-free menu.

Pros: Delicious, Authentic
Cons: No habla ingles
Masalaflower
Masalaflower

A Home Away from Home

5 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2007

We adore this place! Family owned and operated, and straightforward, and generously homestyle indian cuisine. A typical busy afternoon will find you surrounded by people speaking Hindi, Urdu, and English in a swirl of happiness as we dig into the six-tastes THALI platter (the only place in Austin that has this) or its short-form, PARATHA SHAK. For an Indian sloppy Joe experiece, try the Kachi Dabeli, listed under pakoras on the menu. Many natives order diverse snacks including 3 foot long Masala Dosas! A much loved eatery, so prepared to stand in line for the ordering cashier at peak times. A great place to meet up after a yoga class!

Pros: All-India Veg Menu, Amazing Kitchen Production, Incredible handmade breads
Cons: Not listed on the street sign, Blowers in bathroom, need towels too.

Dear Owner and Manager of Swad: