Suzy Spoon's Vegetarian But...

Re-located here late-July 2013 from Enmore. Shop and kitchen making all vegan sandwiches and burgers to-order. Sells a range of vegan food products including different types of sausages made in-house; also has vegan cheese, liquid smoke, jerquee, vegg, satay sauce, tofu, tempeh, and foods. The only non-vegan item is dairy milk for coffee and tea. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Australian, Fast food, Take-out

ErinF
ErinF

Amazing!

Posted on 09 / 23 / 2014

Best vegan comfort food in the whole of Sydney! everything is 100% vegan except they have cows milk available as an option.

The food is amazing, I've only tried the chili dog but it's so good I cant bring myself to order anything new whenever I go back. My house mate and omni mum have tried the rest of the menu and they say they food would convert even the most blood thirsty omni over to veganism ;)

The service is always friendly and with a smile, although they could do with a bit more room with more tables available on the busy days as it gets pretty full.

Pros: Delicious , Friendly staff, Worth the price
Cons: Can get too full on busy days
Littlekait
Littlekait

OMGosh!

Posted on 09 / 19 / 2014

Yum central. Heaps of gluten free options. They even have almond milk!!!

domkeykong
domkeykong

Life Changing Burgers!

Posted on 09 / 19 / 2014

Amazing burgers. The spoon burger (deluxe) will change your life. Also great that you can get the patties and other bits to take away and use at home.

Pros: So Delicious , Healthy , Take-home Packs
Cons: A Little pricey

ShelA
ShelA

great concept

Posted on 08 / 27 / 2014

Delicious food, a great selection of homemade gourmet sausages and they even serve an all day breakfast. Coffee was mediocre but food more than makes up for it.

Pros: variety, taste, YUM
RebekkaClaire
RebekkaClaire

Delicious!!

Posted on 07 / 24 / 2014

Tasty, inexpensive and healthy food!!

Pros: Delicious, Cheap, Friendly staff
chantea
chantea

Freaking Awesome

Posted on 04 / 26 / 2014

On a recent trip to Sydney I asked the Sydney Vegans on Facebook to tell me the best places to visit. They all said Newtown. So off we went. King Street seems to be 'the street'. Lots of vegan options. But of course, I forgot all about Suzy Spoons and only spotted it on the drive out.
I made it a goal to go there before we left, so we came back a few days later and was really impressed. I was expecting a deli style store, rather than a colourful, vibrant little cafe. We got three sandwiches, Joostice Juice (supports local independent journalism), a packet of original sausages, schnitzel and burgers. We were driving up the coast so the packeted foods were perfect for stopping and barbecuing a quick meal by the side of the road. Everything kept perfectly and tasted amazing. The sandwiches are absolutely delicious! Probably the best I've had in quite a while. Fresh salads, tasty 'meats' and crusty bread. A perfect little place to visit. Please come to Melbourne guys.

Pros: Fresh sandwiches, Healthy meal options, Convenience
Cons: Pricey
vegan mikal
vegan mikal

Awesome!

Posted on 01 / 30 / 2014

It really is hard to find fault with Suzy Spoon's. We popped in for a quick lunch and left with full tummies and memories of delightful flavours. Although we spent a touch more than $50 for lunch, we had one meal and one dessert each for the three of us. All in all, this is some of the best-value veg food in the whole of Australia.

We tried a seitan roll, one of the burgers, and a schnitzel parmigiana. The seitan roll was full to the brim with freshly made, chunky seitan (this must be one of the biggest drawcards of this venue!) and a lovely red wine gravy. The burger was massive and required no side helping of chips/fries to top it off. The parmigiana was meaty and cheesy, yet also elegant. Magic!

For dessert, we polished off two delightful cupcakes and one luxurious vegan lamington - again, a rare find.

It is rare for me to be so thoroughly impressed by a venue on my first visit. Congratulations and keep up the good work!!

Pros: seitan, great value, awesome desserts
anarchistanimal
anarchistanimal

Quality, interesting vegan fare

Posted on 01 / 04 / 2014

Spoon's serves interesting, good-quality, cafe-style vegan fare like burgers, lasagne, spaghetti bolognese, and a few salads. The patties and sausages are made on the premises, so are fresh and tasty, with special herb and spice combinations. They are also available for take-away. There are also a range of desserts like cupcakes. The ambiance is clean, trendy and welcoming, although chairs can be scarce at busy times. The mock meats are mostly gluten and/or soy based, with some gluten-free options. The prices are OK (for Newtown). This is a good place to take cafe-going, meat-eating friends, and mock-meat lovers.

Pros: Home-made sausages and patties, Cakes, Cafe-style food
Cons: More tables and chairs needed, More gluten-free options would be nice
markonthereal
markonthereal

Not great, unhealthy

Posted on 11 / 15 / 2013

Too many processed ingredients, every time I go there I felt bloated after and just wasn't a good experience. [edit by staff]

sbszine
sbszine

New location

Posted on 11 / 10 / 2013

Since it's moved to the new location, Spoon has stepped up her cooking a couple of notches. The menu is pretty much the same, but the quality and flavour of the ingredients is now superb. It's gone from being a low-key punk takeaway to now beating any vegetarian restaurant in Sydney, food-wise. Good show, Spoon.

Pros: Exceptional food, Cheap
Cons: Overcrowded
veganskinhead
veganskinhead

Tasty food.

Posted on 04 / 08 / 2013

Came across the place by chance, and as the only vegan place in sight at the time (not to mention a craving for a burger), it was an easy decision. Not to mention one that I didn't regret. The burger I chose (forget what it was called) was devoured very quickly and left me wishing for more (but resisted, hard as it was).

Staff were friendly in that standoffish, hipsterish manner. But nice. The lighting was very bright and the interior was a little stark.

There's also a deli section (hence the name). I didn't try this (nowhere to cook as I was visiting Sydney), but I quite like the concept of this - it'd be hard to find better tasting burger patties.

Pros: Great burgers, The deli section
Goofyr
Goofyr

Awesome place

Posted on 02 / 01 / 2013

Love the food and products you can take home. Great friendly staff.

Gobbledock
Gobbledock

EXACTLY what Enmore/ Newtown needed! YUM!

Posted on 01 / 16 / 2013

Vegan comfort food! YAY! I love this place, especially the schnitzel burger, with the lot! The smokey rasher bacon is particularly delish :)
Polish off a burger on site and buy some vegan sausages to cook at home too!

It would really incredible if this place continues to thrive, and maybe it could be of a sit down affair... (at the moment there are just a few seats, not really a sit-down cafe, more of a take-away vibe).

Anyway, thanks Spoons, you give me faith in existence/ Sydney.

Pros: comfort food, vegan bacon, inexpensive
Phoegan12
Phoegan12

The most amazing place in the world

Posted on 01 / 13 / 2013

Where do I start... As you walk in your greeted by beautiful smells from the cookery type section where you can buy sausage rolls & huge burgers filled with caramelized onion, salad, mushrooms etc & the burgers & sausages you can purchase in front of you.They have everything, sausages- christmas sausages with rosemary & herbs, traditional, polenta sausages & all of them literally melt in your mouth, & very easy to cook. They have snitsel, seitan, burgers which are beautiful,& a Devine tvp spaghetti Bolognaise sauce which is one of the best things I've tasted in my life. Along with that they have a few shelves filled with sauces & other useful condiments & so forth. The staff are very nice & helpful, the prices abit pricey but really how many vegan butchers are there?

Pros: Great food, Great staff, Great flavour
Cons: Haven't seen any other ones
Fingercuts
Fingercuts
  • herbivore

Brilliant. Go there.

Posted on 12 / 07 / 2012

All right!
Get a delicious big fresh burger (nourishing and vegan to boot) for a great price. Excellent tasty food.
Its great friendly earnest place, not trying to be elitist, pompous or superior. There's no attitude of a 3-hat chef, instead there's the warmth and honesty of a tuck shop lady.
There's no right-on hemp-bound menu, its all on the blackboard.
Leave the Prius at home and pull up in your Valiant.
Get it?
Eat in (on the footpath), or take away.
Pick up a few vegan supplies, pies and snacks while you're there.

Pros: Good food, Interesting stuff, Value
Cons: I don't live close
VeJo
VeJo

Great products, friendly people

Posted on 11 / 24 / 2012

This little shop is a great addition to Enmore Road and the vegan precinct around Newtown. The products are tasty and not overly processed, mostly seitan based. You can buy sausages, schnitzels, etc., to prepare at home, or eat-in or take away a burger, pie, or other yummy treat. They also stock "socially vegan cakes", vegan cheese, sauces, and liquid smoke, among other things. There was a lovely, smiley and helpful young lady serving when I was there. Nothing to complain about.

Pros: good simple food, friendly staff, fast and convenient
Cheryandmatt
Cheryandmatt

Best take away food EVERRRRR

Posted on 09 / 30 / 2012

Their sausage sizzles are my favourite! They have a stall at the Marrickville Organic Markets every week and I used to go there every single sunday to get my sausage sizzle for lunch and Matt would get the schnitzel wrap. Now that they have the shop open in Enmore, we can go there whenever we want! ... and we have! The team is amazing, they love what they do and you will love how they do it! They have a lot of new hot food options on the menu now and I can't wait to try them all. There is a 'hot food' side and a 'shop' side so once you have tried their hot food and become addicted you can simply buy some to take home or to sneak into your meat-eating friends meals and fool them. They also sell liquid smoke, which I had been trying to find/buy for over a year now, it is also at a reasonable price: $10. All their products being vegan, it is really easy to order without any stress. Bring your non-vegetarian and non-vegan friends with you and show them how fun and tasty vegan food is and they might see the light!

Pros: Great food, Friendly Staff, Great concept

Dear Owner and Manager of Suzy Spoon's Vegetarian Butcher: