Surn Yi Mei Shi Guan

Serves veggieburgers, noodles cooked Chinese-style; uses eggs in some items, particularly in the specials that come with an egg on top - vegans to specify. Most entrees priced between $1.50-2. Note that it's reported restaurant keeps a caged rabbit. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Ovo, Khmer, Cambodian
No.13B, Thoamak Lekhet Ouk (St. 184) (1/2 block east of Norodom Blvd near Royal Palace)
Phnom Penh, Cambodia 12206
016664666, 012571517

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by raphalla
stef*
stef*

Yes it is vegetarian, but..

3 Posted on 12 / 18 / 2013

In Cambodia it is nice to find some vegetarian food, that's why I would rate it OK.
Yes it is vegetarian, but most of the dishes come with some "meat-replacement" stuff. In both of our two meals there was either some "vegetarian ham" or "vegetarian beef stripes" even the menu didn't mention it. I personally can't get my head around why one should be vegetarian, but still ask for the same taste as meat. If you like this, then it's your place, but on my point of view there are much better places around. (i.e. The Corn)

Cons: "meat-replacement" stuff
Albania
Albania

Caged Rabbit and Dog

3 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2013

I can confirm that there is a caged rabbit and dog in the restaurant. These are kept in the dining area in the back and didn't notice until my third visit.
The food is average - I tried the curry fried rice and it was much too oily The mushroom veg steak hamburger was very good. The menu is fairly extensive with a range of khmer dishes - the focus seems to be on various noodle dishes.
Prices are very low between 1.50 to 3.00.
Staff have limited English.

Pros: Extensive menu, Very Cheap
Cons: Caged animals , Average food
Nikki1801
Nikki1801

Interesting place

3 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2013

Visited July or August 2012 and ate here 2 or 3 times as we had real difficulty finding any of the other places mentioned in this part of the city (I think many are tucked down side alleys or shut parts of the week!?)

Anyway- this place we stumbled across by accident actually looking for somewhere else- there are two places here, so take your pick (the pins are correct). This one had pretty friendly staff, with a small restaurant that through the back door (which I assumed was the kitchen) leads onto a big indoor area with chill-out chairs, a movie screen and a strange gym area. All a bit odd but we liked it there, plus one guy who worked there was so friendly, we chatted for ages!

The food was alright, like a lot of veggie places in Asia you kind of take a gamble with whatever you order, just point at something and hope for the best! The chicken drumstick things (photo added) were good so we got those and fries one time. Another visit we got noodle asian dishes and were left a bit disappointed, so i ordered the drumsticks again to fill me up haha!
The friendly staff guy also had a hawker out front that had a little muffin making machine in it, where he made all these different flavoured muffins and they were really opular with the locals. We were veggie (not vegan) at the time so we bought 4, I think around 20p each, they had chocolate and various fillings, certainly worth a go if you're veggie.

The only thing that left me sad is they've got a pet rabbit there in a sh*t cage and he said they never let it out. I don't really understand why, but I guess Asians have a different mindset to animals, even in a veggie place. Hmm.

iamere
iamere

snacks galor

3 Posted on 02 / 10 / 2012

During our stay in Phnom Penh, we used this little restaurant as a back up, for when we were in the vicinity and needed a good fix.
The first thing that struck me about this place was that it had some food I had never tried before. Some very nice vegan treats. There is a wide variety of mock this and mock that in all sorts of shapes and sizes and I really enjoyed trying different things on the menu.
One thing I tried on my first day was chicken drumsticks, which were delicious. It was mushroom on a herb stick, coated in tasty breadcrumbs and was totally scrumptious.
The restaurant itself is pretty nice too, with a couple of swings that you can sit on whilst you eat your meal.
The service... well, there was a time we ordered food and waited for 40mins only to find they had forgot, but we had other bits to keep us going. The staff speak hardly any English, so you need to be careful with what you order.
But the cost is very reasonable. We can eat plenty and fill our boots for around 10,000 Riel (us$2.5) but you can eat a little less and still be ok. It's a great lunch stop.

Pros: Good burgers, smily staff, lots of choice
Cons: a through way for students, non english speaking
geckobranko
geckobranko

Good veggie burgers!

4 Posted on 12 / 25 / 2009

Not the most stylisch place in town but they have good and cheap food. Also a huge menu and i realy loved the veggie burgers. My favorite in thown! Non smoking and no alcohol.

simpsonyellow
simpsonyellow

Hit and Miss

3 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2009

Easy enough to find on the Northern side of St 184 between Norodom Blvd and the Royal Palace, this place has a small indoor dining area and a larger outdoor covered one. Not a great deal of ambience, but OK for a basic feed.

There's a massive menu here, but a surprising lack of variety - many of the soup and noodle dishes, for example, taste virtually identical. Ordering can be a little hit and miss as the English descriptions in the menu are occasionally misleading. A picture menu would help, but probably isn't practical considering the couple of hundred dishes available.

A lot of the dishes seem pretty random, the flavours generally aren't particularly well balanced, and there seems to be an overdependence on dried mushroom stalks. That said, there are some half decent dishes to be had. My favourites are the Golden Noodle Soup and Super Burger (not vegan). They also do a decent fried rice (though you'll have to tell them if you don't eat egg) and their sizzling dishes tend to be pretty good.

There's also a wide variety of shaved iced desserts and bubble teas (most of them very sweet) on offer.

With an average dish costing between 4000r and 6000r (US$1 - US$1.50), this place is cheap and cheerful, though there are better places to eat if you're only in PP for a brief trip.

Pros: Cheap, Huge menu
Cons: A lot of fairly poor dishes, No picture menu
vegan_simon
vegan_simon

cheap and cheerful

3 Posted on 12 / 20 / 2008

The waiter spoke basic English. I had fried potatoes and fried tofu for entree (the fried taro was unavailable unfortunately). Both were overcooked but OK. I had the sizzling noodles (includes vegetables and a bit of mock meat) hotplate, which was fine; plus an iced plum green tea (average quality). All up less than 3 US dollars.

Merciless666
Merciless666

me ones again...

5 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2008

Really nice place, though they almost got me with their noodle soup...i thought it must be meat, but had been a strange mushroom.
The vegetarian steak is highly recommendable. tune in early as i got 'refused' at 8.20 pm allready. Not for late eaters like me :-)
Have fun!
Merciless526

ps: couldn't ad 5 cows last time, but they deserve it!!!

Pros: friendly staff, very much in the centre
Cons: closes early
rach
rach

Interesting mushys but don't go out of your way...

2 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2007

This place was just ok. Most of the food was fried and the portions were on the small side. We had the vegie steak, stir-fried mushrooms and fried dumplings (selected these from the pictures out the front, although they also have an english menu). The mushrooms were interesting, so try them if you go to this place. The rest of the food was pretty average. The fried dumplings were small and didnt taste very fresh. The bubble tea was nice and for anyone who hasnt tried it I'd recommend trying it, here or elsewhere, at some point. The meal was ok priced, the 3 dishes and 2 bubble teas coming to 12,500r. This place wasn't great but but it wasnt bad either. [edited by staff - see tos]

Pros: Unique dishes, Interesting swing chairs, 100% veg
Cons: Too much fried food, small portions, lacks ambiance
raphalla
raphalla

Closed for Khmer New Year

3 Posted on 04 / 19 / 2007

In front of a photoshop, you won't miss the big word "Konica".
Beside is a restaurant called "Ïce".
The number of the address is jumping and not in sequence, so don't rely on the number.

Dear Owner and Manager of Surn Yi Mei Shi Guan: