Suribachi

Serves meat, veg options available.Restaurant is located in the back of a health food store. Daily specials are displayed on a counter. Serves macrobiotic and vegan friendly dishes. Sells various types of bread and cake. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Macrobiotic, Non-veg
Rua do Bonfim, 134/140 (3 min walk from Campo 24 Agosto Stop on Blue Line A Rua Do Bonfim exit / or 10 min walk from Trinidade station)
Porto, Portugal 4300-066
+351-225106701

First Review by louis
thomas_b
thomas_b

Good food

3 Posted on 03 / 28 / 2014

The food was good - may be very good.

The atmosphere I didn't like to much. My be is was because we had been there in March: It was cold and clammy and smelt a little of mold.
It was very quiet and the other guest seemed a little bit unhappy.

The Vegabonds
The Vegabonds

Excellent vegan restaurant in Porto

4 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2013

Very good vegan food. Very cheap. One of the best vegan restaurant I have ever been.
A bit difficult to find though: the restaurant is actually inside an organic food store.
Closed on Mondays.
Menu of the day 5 euro.
Only note: since it is mainly a take away restaurant, the food might be slightly cold.

ChiaraLeto
ChiaraLeto

Not Macrobiotic

1 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2013

At first I was really happy to read there was a Macrobiotic close to my house, but after eating there more than once I realized it's nothing like that!
I can't recommend it as a good restaurant I'm afraid....

Anticopy
Anticopy

Snobb

1 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2013

Just an awfull place, i hope they reconsider at this site the misleading information, that this resaurant serves vegetarian food but IT'S NOT VEGETARIAN, and at the front door you read an information saying that they are vegetarian while I went there and had a very dificult
Time to eat something that was not made using fish, so they completely lie, the price table is not clear and food gets a bit expensive. Food was not very tasty and I get the sensation I ate something I did ask not yo be served, ovo lacteo or fish.
Staff are a bit antiphatic, and the main ambient is a bit elitist, as for the staff, as well for the general costumers.
It's just one of those places you feel that it Is simply fashion to have a label saying vegetarian, while simply is not.
Got very frustrated and hope never to repeat. Also the store would be a good stuff if it wasn't so expensive, and snaks at the store, may also have fish if you don't ask the full list of ingredients used in each one.
Be advised, you have plenty of Better places
For
Sure.
I wanted to give a one star but it wont let me while it has a vegetarian status.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday June 27, 2012

Pros: Good location
Cons: Staff antiphatic and prices, You may get a fish food even asking for vegan, Everything
GizelaRego
GizelaRego

Nice place upstairs :)

3 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2013

I liked the food, but it was to expensive for me. In this days we can eat in GOOD veg restaurants with good menus for 8euros with desert, drink, everything). But the food was good

Pros: The place, Some options
Cons: Price, Not vegetarian
heliorodrigues
heliorodrigues

pioneer place from 80s extremely relaxed

4 Posted on 07 / 10 / 2013

i have been going to this place since i was born so for me its definitely an iconic restaurant and shop, i never been a regular but all i can say is that every time i go to this place i leave completely satisfied and happy with it all. the location is great, the staff friendly, many choices on the menu and great place in general. and it feels like home!! no words for its simplicity and uniqueness and please dont go looking for something fancy because this is not. this is a respected place that has been running for more than 30 years and it looks like that! and i really enjoy it this way!

Pros: feels like home, many choices on the menu, tranquility
Cons: could be a little cheaper
kandimba
kandimba

There are better ones

1 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2013

Expensive and non-veg, so not quite the best place to look for food. The food is at best reasonable. It has a nice shop and the upper floor is a nice place to be but the prices are too high and the food is below average so I've quit going there.

Pros: Nice atmosphere
Cons: Pricey, Non-veg
SaltWater
SaltWater

Suribachi, only good if you have low standards!

2 Posted on 01 / 03 / 2009

In fact the "restaurant" is a disappointment, the food is nothing special and the way it's served causes the appetite growing shorter, typical canteen system, board and plates (because they are there to make money and not work ...), but returning to the review the variety of the food is minimal, a vegetarian will not find anything new or minimally well made, the desserts leave a lot to be desired, the natural juice of carrot is natural but is there already for hours and join to all this the fact that it is not nothing cheap, at least for portuguese restaurants. The site is an old house, with everything to match, old tables, old decor, old staircases and steps, I think the ASAE (Food and Public Safety) never went there, because if they had .... Is to emphasize positive for a shop with natural products, vegans and vegetarians, but with nothing different than what are in large malls. In short: honesty is an experience not to repeat in life!

Pros: Vegan, Vegetaria, Shop
Cons: Small Variety, Expensive than average, Hygiene
Tullio
Tullio

good restaurant

4 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2008

The food is really good. I completely agree with the other reviews about the quality of this restaurant!!! The only con is that they don't speak English but if you are planning to travel in Portugal you should get used to it :-)

babywitch18
babywitch18

A Hidden Gem

4 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2007

My partner, son and I were on the hunt for vegetarian restaurants whilst travelling around Europe and we were very pleased when we eventually found this one. The Menu is great, you choose what you want from the counter like caffeteria style. They used lots of substitutes like sietan, Tofu, and mixed and made them into wonderful things. The range of salads, hot dishes and pastries were delightful and to top it of once we ordered our meal you get asked wheather you want carrot, seaweed or apple juice (freshly squeezed may I add).

I really wanted to add this review because the staff and owners deserve it. They were so helpful even though we couldn't understand each other at times and the whole scene really makes you believe that they are creating such a nice experience for vegetarians and vegans.

The only downside is trying to find it. But do try because it is worth it.

Pros: Vast Menu, Friendly staff, healthy wholesome food
Cons: hard to find
louis
louis

Suribachi, Rua Do Bonfim, 134/140- 4300-066,Oporto

4 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2007

A vegetarian macrobiotic restaurant at the back of a very attractive health food shop where you could have fun browsing. About a ten minute walk from the Trinidade station if you don't get lost in Porto's narrow streets. The restaurant area is also a pleasant place to sit. You go in and there's a counter area with a range of daily specials. You can mix and match freely, staff serve it up, then find a table downstairs or in the bigger area upstairs. Pay at the till of the health food shop on departure. Very clean throughout. I had the tofu steak, with a vegetable and rice dish, plus an interesting green salad with beetroot. Good selection of juices and freshly made sauces. Not much English spoken but staff very helpful and friendly. The food was very good and an ambient, relaxing and friendly atmosphere prevails. I spoke to a group of teachers from a nearby school, who go there for lunch and dinner nearly every day and said that things are consistently good there. Very good value. From what I could see they are not licensed, the only drinks I could see looked dealcoholised but I may be wrong. Excellent value and interesting tasty food. A good place to go while in Porto.

Pros: open long hours, good value and nice staff, tasty food

Dear Owner and Manager of Suribachi: