Serves meat, veg options available. Formerly Interim Cafe headed by Chef Eddie, this is a casual little cafe that serves breakfast, lunch, dinner, pastries, and organic coffee drinks. Order at the counter and food is brought to your table. Menu features many vegetarian dishes including tofu scramble with vegan sausages, Maui veggie burger, sandwiches, salads, quesadilla, a vegan soup daily. Uses some organic ingredients, vegan cheese, faux meat. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Fast food, Non-veg
530 Wilshire Blvd (6th St)
Santa Monica, California 90401
310-319-9100

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by veghed
Chia
Chia

A lunch food and coffee place

Posted on 11 / 30 / 2012

I had read about this place on happycow, and have eaten here several times over the years. Was just here in late November 2012, here's my Interim Cafe updated review.

I appreciate that this cafe, while not all vegetarian, offers many vegetarian and vegan options, and it also uses some organic ingredients.

The prices are typical-affordable for a lunch casual place in Santa Monica. The selections are varied: organic hot oats, tofu cancun, gado gado, maui veggie burger, vegan mac & cheese, BBQ drumstix, tamales, baked goods, and organic coffee.

Small space, relaxed mood, with indoor and outdoor seating. When the Chef and owner Eddie is around, the atmosphere enlivens and the food usually is better.

They currently serve a vegan chocolate soft serve. It's good but a bit too sweet for my liking. I would recommend one of the burgers or salads. The tamale, though, is not quite as good as it could be--has too many different herbs, and the mixed grains that comes on the side is hard to chew (needs to soak grains in water, or cook longer).

Interim Cafe is a decent place to grab lunch or a coffee when in the downtown Santa Monica area.

Pros: veg friendly menu, relaxed
LacieParker
LacieParker

Great little place for brunch

Posted on 09 / 09 / 2011

With the casual setting, this is a great place for breakfast or lunch. The items on the menu are friendly to everyone, and are healthy. In addition, they have vegan cookies and vegan soft serve!

Pros: healthy food, great for everyone, vegan soft serve
Cons: parking may be difficult
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Good Food

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2009

I really liked the food at Interim Café; I had the soup and salad option with a tomato based soup [I really liked the soup a lot]. I also tried part of my friend's fake chicken sandwich, which I thought to be excellent. It's a small restaurant but I thought it was nice. I will agree with a review below, I did feel the guy at the register had an attitude, in fact if my friends hadn't said such nice things about this place, I would be reluctant to return; however, I like the food and will stop here during my next trip.

larryabailey
larryabailey

Great Place To Start A New Day

Posted on 12 / 14 / 2008

Spending a few nights in Santa Monica, we found our visit to the small Interim Cafe a pleasant surprise for breakfast. Although the decor lacked "interest" the food was great, fast service, the prices competitive, and they had a range of vegan with wheat/gluten-free items on the menu. My partner thought the vegan breakfast burrito wonderful and I really enjoyed the tofu scramble. The wheat/gluten toast was the best I have ever tasted. Both of our dishes were well presented. When traveling to new locations, just trying to find a restaurant that serves a good breakfast and has vegan along with wheat/gluten-free dishes is a real challenge (expensive, half ripe, small dishes of fruit really gets old-hat quickly). The Interim Cafe is a great little place to start a new day.

Pros: Great Menu, Excellent Food, Fast Service
Cons: Décor
The Veggie Cook
The Veggie Cook

It's been Interim for a long while

Posted on 04 / 05 / 2008

This cafe was supposed to have been converted to another cafe in 2007 but nothing has changed, and it continues to be Interim Cafe (formerly Newsroom).

Went there for lunch today with a friend. The menu had many vegan options, about 1/2 of the menu. I got the mushroom topped tamales special that came with a side of wild rice and green salad. The dish was tasty, had a lot of seasoning and flavor, though the portion was on the small side.

My friend got the provencial stew with mashed potatoes that came with a side of green salad. I tried it, and it was rather spicy, gingery, and a bit strange for my taste.

Overall, the experience was okay. I think it's cool that vegetarians and vegans have choices here.

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

Just had a real delightful meal here

Posted on 03 / 16 / 2008

Interim Cafe is a SMALL eclectic cafe. Not at all like the Newsroom. One step above a "Hole in the wall" but a charming and clean one! I had the vegan Tamale & Cran-Pom-Lemonade and a vegan goji berry cookie. Are were really good. If Santa Monica Real Food Daily is packed or you're burned out this is nice alternative for a hearty faster vegan meal. I'll definitely be eating here often. Its very relaxed / order at the counter.

Pros: location, vegan items
veghed
veghed

INTERIM CAFE former NewsRoom Santa Monica

Posted on 10 / 07 / 2006

Here's what's happening @ INTERIM CAFE, it's owned by the original NewsRoom owner and Chef and this location wasn't sold, he sold his West Hollywood NewsRoom restaurant and the trademark. He told me he's opening a new organic veg-friendly place in this Santa Monica location and while that gets put together it's open as the INTERIM CAFE. It looks kinda 'kewl' and funky to me and still has the best veggie burgers and creative vegan soups in town
and I'm thankful for that!!

Pros: creative, healthy, casual
Cons: parking, no website, no internet

Dear Owner and Manager of Superfood Express: