Mountain view cottage accommodation and restaurant. Serves wood oven pizzas, organic salads, and tofu. Drive outside of Roseau on the main road to Trafalgar, in the small village of Shawford. Look for the sign on the right side "wood oven pizza." Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Pizza, Italian, Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out
Shawford Estate, 5 mile drive uphill towards Trafalgar
Roseau, Dominica

Thu-Sun 5:00pm-9:00pm

• Reservations required

First Review by Laura Grainger
Laura Grainger
Laura Grainger

superb pizza in the hills

Posted on 03 / 24 / 2014

Unlike many veg restaurants in the Caribbean (which open only for breakfast & lunch) this is open only for dinner, 4 nights a week. We arrived at 4:30pm and to my dismay it was closed...then I happily realised we were early!
I was skeptical is was really a veg restaurant, but I was put in my place: it is! With options for vegans too!
I highly recommend arriving at opening time (5pm) to enjoy the unspoilt view of the rainforest valley before it gets dark. The restaurant is neighbours with cocoa cottages, on the way to Trafalgar falls. Not many people had heard of it, so if you ask people for directions, they will know where cocoa cottages is..and this is only 100m further uphill.
Although there was nothing particularly special on the menu (only pizza and salads), I must admit the food was superb and we ate every crumb. The family is really nice too.

Pros: nice open balcony setting, fast service, friendly french family
Cons: unimaginative menu, only open 4 nights a week, a tad expensive
  • Sunshine Cottage Sunshine Cottage

I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your meal at Sunshine Cottage and thank you again for coming. If our menu seems to be unimaginable it is because we're using fresh ingredients only and don't put frozen or microwaved food on the customers plate ! We also have different salad options, some served with Tofu or with fried cheese. Our prices are also very reasonable for the quality with offer, compare to other restaurants on the island, because we want to make it affordable for tourists and locals also.

Dear Owner and Manager of Sunshine Cottage: