Serves meat, veg options available. Previously all-veg but added meat to menu. Veg and vegan choices are clearly listed, and there is a useful picture menu of ingredients, so you could indicate what you do or don't eat. Offers organic teas. Situated above Shakey's in shopping arcade beside Teramachi. Address in Japanese: 京都府京都市中京区三条通寺町東入石橋町5−1 5F. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Japanese, Bakery, Non-veg

Gally
Gally

Cozy Little Place With Delicious Food

Posted on 07 / 20 / 2015

My boyfriend and I hit this restaurant fairly late while visiting Kyoto last October and were happy to find it still open and serving food.

The prices are a little high, but still very reasonable.

We started with the very small ratatouille appetizer, which was delicious; we would've both been happy to snarf large bowls of the precious stuff. Then we each ordered the "tofu steak", which comes with avocado and mushrooms on top and is in a soy-based sauce. If you order this, please be sure to clarify that you want it "vegan", or else they will add oyster sauce to the already-perfect marinade.
Neither of us can explain why this was so good, because we've had plenty of other things like it over the years, but it was. It was amazing. We ended up sharing three portions of it. It came up in conversation the other day, and we both went, "Oh yeaaah, that!" wistfully, recalling the flavourful little gem of a memory and looking forward to returning sometime in the not-too-distant future.

The wee portion of ratatouille we'd shared before randomly achieving peak spiritual tofu awareness was smaller than normal, because the restaurant was going to close soon, and the owner had made sure we were aware of this. He clearly felt quite bad about serving it, even for a discounted price, and brought us each a cute little scoop of their house mango gelato when we'd finished ravaging his bean curd.

It was a lovely experience and we'll be going back more than once the next time we're in Kyoto.

Pros: Excellent, fresh food, Cozy, warm, romantic dinner atmosphere
Cons: Predictably small Japanese portions
elfmaiden713
elfmaiden713

Quick & Tasty

Posted on 05 / 15 / 2015

Not sure if they serve meat during dinner, but the lunch menu was all vegan! There were only a few offerings, including a veggie curry or soup and salad, but the dish names were translated into English and all the options sounded good. Luckily there is a big green sign marking the location inside the arcade, or it would be impossible to find! Their sweet lemonade and homemade ginger ale were perfect after a long day walking around in the sun.

Pros: All-vegan lunch, Special tea blends, Delicious
Cons: Few dish options
necius
necius

Good food, great service

Posted on 08 / 03 / 2014

While I'm a little disappointed that this place is no longer all Vegan, it gives me a good place to eat with my non-vegan girlfriend. They have a number of Vegan options, but with some of them they have both a vegan and non-vegan (also non-vegetarian) version, so be sure to specify.

I was disappointed to discover that while they have soy ice-cream, it contains eggs, so isn't vegan. Similarly the cakes aren't vegan, but they do have some vegan biscuits. However the service there has always been very good and the food has never disappointed.

Pros: English, Good food, Good service
Cons: Mostly non-vegan menu, Vegan dessert selection limited

jennjt
jennjt

Tips for finding Sunshine Cafe

Posted on 10 / 19 / 2013

Sunshine Cafe is next to JTB and across from AU. You will see a green (sandwich board) sign for Sunshine Cafe in front of a narrow hallway. Go down the hall to the elevator. Take the elevator to the 5th floor. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the food.

All vegetarian options are marked with a "V" on the menu.

Place filled up fast the evening we went (Saturday night), especially in the non-smoking area, so plan accordingly.

Pros: food, tea, cake
Cons: limited seating, could use one more staff member
Nancy Cadet
Nancy Cadet

Great view from the top floor

Posted on 10 / 05 / 2013

Location: in shopping arcade on Sanjo-dori , very near Teramachi -dori cross street,; on 5th floor above the shops, with a sign on the ground floor at the entrance. There are stairs and an elevator .
It's easy to find .

This is a comfortable, casual cafe with a vegetarian soup and salad set and a veg lunch set, as well as fish and other options. We had the sets and a generous raw vegetable side salad too. Sets cost about 800 yen. I would go back; it's a friendly spot with an English menu, and English speaking waitstaff . Although vegan or vegetarian options are few--at least there are some! It also serves tea, coffee, beer.

Pros: Moderate prices, Fresh crunchy salad, Vegan menu items
Cons: Small non smoking section
tyrannosaurusveg
tyrannosaurusveg

Hard to find but worth it!

Posted on 08 / 10 / 2013

This place took us a while to find but we really enjoyed our dinner here. Lots of veggie options, good prices, English menu available plus lovely food in a great atmosphere.
They have a record player set up that was playing some excellent tunes, staff were friendly and the restaurant is set up really well. Recommended!

Pros: Good food, Great atmosphere
Cons: Bit hard to find but OK
chinee
chinee

Convenient: Near downtown and closing time late

Posted on 02 / 01 / 2013

I had my dinner many times in Sunshine Cafe when I visited Kyoto. It is located in a famous shopping street, where my hotel is very near and many stores where I like to shop are also there. Its closing time is very late. I had my dinner there once even at almost 11:00 PM. It is a vegan friendly restaurant, but it offers more vegan dishes than I previously thought, with good services (e.g. they understand English better than other restaurants). In addition, the dishes are also delicious and not too expensive.

Pros: location in a shopping street, late closing time
FlorenceButtons
FlorenceButtons

venture up!

Posted on 10 / 06 / 2012

We stumbled across this restaurant and to be honest it was the name that made us look, it sounded veggie friendly and it was!
The restaurant is on about the 4th floor, you get the lift up. The decor is very nice, hippy cafe style.
The restaurant serves meat and fish as well as having a good range of veggie options.
The food is freshly cooked and was delicious especially the Tempeh (sort of chips made from soy beans)
The meal came to 2400 yen, that's for 2 mains and a side, so fairly reasonable, could be done cheaper if on strict budget.

Pros: good range of food, atmosphere
cheryl_downes
cheryl_downes

Pretty happy

Posted on 09 / 13 / 2010

After struggling in Tokyo I was happy to easily find Sunshine cafe quite close to my lodging. Menu choice wasn't huge but at least they had reliable vegan choices.

TAS
TAS

decent food, good service

Posted on 12 / 06 / 2009

food was okay here, vegetarian options clearly marked, service was very good

ahimsa333
ahimsa333

Nice space, great menu

Posted on 05 / 06 / 2009

I had a hard time finding this place, but once I did, I really enjoyed the atmosphere. I ordered the tempeh pocket, which was tasty, but a little dry. Does serve seafood, which was disappointing, since it prevented me from ordering the lunch set.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Good food
Cons: serves seafood

Dear Owner and Manager of Sunshine Cafe: