Sunshine Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Previously all-veg but added meat to menu. Veg and vegan choices are clearly listed, and there is a useful picture menu of ingredients, so you could indicate what you do or don't eat. Offers organic teas. Situated above Shakey's in shopping arcade beside Teramachi. Address in Japanese: 京都府京都市中京区三条通寺町東入石橋町5−1 5F. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Japanese, Bakery, Non-veg
5f 5-1 Ishibashi-cho, Sanjo-dori, Nakagyo-ku
Kyoto, Japan
07-52511678

Open Mon, Wed-Sun 12-9:30pm.

First Review by ahimsa333
jennjt
jennjt

Tips for finding Sunshine Cafe

4 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2013

Sunshine Cafe is next to JTB and across from AU. You will see a green (sandwich board) sign for Sunshine Cafe in front of a narrow hallway. Go down the hall to the elevator. Take the elevator to the 5th floor. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the food.

All vegetarian options are marked with a "V" on the menu.

Place filled up fast the evening we went (Saturday night), especially in the non-smoking area, so plan accordingly.

Pros: food, tea, cake
Cons: limited seating, could use one more staff member
Nancy Cadet
Nancy Cadet

Great view from the top floor

4 Posted on 10 / 05 / 2013

Location: in shopping arcade on Sanjo-dori , very near Teramachi -dori cross street,; on 5th floor above the shops, with a sign on the ground floor at the entrance. There are stairs and an elevator .
It's easy to find .

This is a comfortable, casual cafe with a vegetarian soup and salad set and a veg lunch set, as well as fish and other options. We had the sets and a generous raw vegetable side salad too. Sets cost about 800 yen. I would go back; it's a friendly spot with an English menu, and English speaking waitstaff . Although vegan or vegetarian options are few--at least there are some! It also serves tea, coffee, beer.

Pros: Moderate prices, Fresh crunchy salad, Vegan menu items
Cons: Small non smoking section
tyrannosaurusveg
tyrannosaurusveg

Hard to find but worth it!

4 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2013

This place took us a while to find but we really enjoyed our dinner here. Lots of veggie options, good prices, English menu available plus lovely food in a great atmosphere.
They have a record player set up that was playing some excellent tunes, staff were friendly and the restaurant is set up really well. Recommended!

Pros: Good food, Great atmosphere
Cons: Bit hard to find but OK
chinee
chinee

Convenient: Near downtown and closing time late

4 Posted on 02 / 01 / 2013

I had my dinner many times in Sunshine Cafe when I visited Kyoto. It is located in a famous shopping street, where my hotel is very near and many stores where I like to shop are also there. Its closing time is very late. I had my dinner there once even at almost 11:00 PM. It is a vegan friendly restaurant, but it offers more vegan dishes than I previously thought, with good services (e.g. they understand English better than other restaurants). In addition, the dishes are also delicious and not too expensive.

Pros: location in a shopping street, late closing time
FlorenceButtons
FlorenceButtons

venture up!

4 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2012

We stumbled across this restaurant and to be honest it was the name that made us look, it sounded veggie friendly and it was!
The restaurant is on about the 4th floor, you get the lift up. The decor is very nice, hippy cafe style.
The restaurant serves meat and fish as well as having a good range of veggie options.
The food is freshly cooked and was delicious especially the Tempeh (sort of chips made from soy beans)
The meal came to 2400 yen, that's for 2 mains and a side, so fairly reasonable, could be done cheaper if on strict budget.

Pros: good range of food, atmosphere

cheryl_downes
cheryl_downes

Pretty happy

4 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2010

After struggling in Tokyo I was happy to easily find Sunshine cafe quite close to my lodging. Menu choice wasn't huge but at least they had reliable vegan choices.

TAS
TAS

decent food, good service

3 Posted on 12 / 06 / 2009

food was okay here, vegetarian options clearly marked, service was very good

ahimsa333
ahimsa333

Nice space, great menu

3 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2009

I had a hard time finding this place, but once I did, I really enjoyed the atmosphere. I ordered the tempeh pocket, which was tasty, but a little dry. Does serve seafood, which was disappointing, since it prevented me from ordering the lunch set.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Good food
Cons: serves seafood

Dear Owner and Manager of Sunshine Cafe: