Serves meat, veg options available. Has veggie options for main entrees, soup, and dessert (vegan cheesecake). Sunday brunch. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, American, International, Non-veg

vegexplorer
vegexplorer

Inconsistent

Posted on 09 / 16 / 2013

Friends had raved about this place, so I tried it this past weekend. It was definitely nothing special in my opinion. I ordered a special -- butternut squash -- that was very bland and too sweet. My friend ordered a black bean dish that seemed quite tasty. The service was okay -- neither good nor bad. Because this restaurant has been recommended so much, I'll probably try it again and order something from the regular menu. But if I were going strictly from this visit, I doubt I'd return.

Pros: Unique menu items, Multiple veg options
Cons: Inconsistent food
Veggie_Spence
Veggie_Spence

Sunrise has hit rock bottom!

Posted on 12 / 30 / 2012

Just left The Sunrise Cafe with my family of four.We called ahead the day before and made a reservation. We got our food after waiting 45 minutes and then the hostess asked us to move to a smaller table. We were asked to get up and move to a smaller table with our hot plates of food, drinks- move everything off out table. We were shocked to be asked this and we got no help in making the move either.The staff watched as we made three trips from our initial table to the new smaller table. No help, no apologizes, no explanations. After eating there for years, we are not returning.It is sad watching Sunrise go downhill and hit rock bottom today.

Cons: rude staff, dirty bathrooms, cold inside
Kayla36
Kayla36

It was okay

Posted on 12 / 20 / 2012

I had the veggie tofu scramble with the sunrise potatoes. It was good, but not great. Expensive for what you get. But, there are little to none vegan friendly places in the nearby area so I guess I'll deal with it when I'm visiting family.

Pros: Vegan Friendly, Good Food
Cons: Pricey, Not many options, Limited selection of desserts

steveveg
steveveg

Vegan friendly in Ohio

Posted on 06 / 18 / 2012

Sunrise is the most vegan friendly restaurant in Yellow Springs. Surprisingly, it indeed might the only vegan friendly one in this otherwise liberal and high minded village. I had several meals here, the vegan food was mostly excellent. One dinner special, Black Bean-Bok Choy Ragu with Curried Risotto Cake, was lovely. An Incan black bean quinoa entree was overly salty, otherwise was good. The Veggie Burger (could be made vegan) was excellent. They had a vegan cake (when available) that was delicious. Overall the restaurant was excellent. Service was great, helpful and not intrusive. Seating in the back garden area was quiet and allowed conversation.

Pros: excellent food, great service, great vegan dessert
CFunke21
CFunke21

Delicious food any time of the day

Posted on 02 / 27 / 2011

I have been to the Sunrise Cafe on countless occassions and have always enjoyed the atmosphere inside. Their food is delicious and everything that they have there can be enjoyed at any time of the day :)

Pros: Great atmosphere, Good food, Great Service
Cons: Small space
Stephanie Heckman
Stephanie Heckman

Great place in Yellow Springs to eat!

Posted on 02 / 19 / 2011

I live in Springfield and think that the Sunrise Cafe is one of the best veg-friendly restaurants in the area. I've gone to the Sunrise Cafe numerous times and love it each time. It's clean and attractive with comfortable furniture and lovely local artwork on the walls. It can also be romantic at night when the lights are dimmed. The wait to be seated and to be served can be a bit long, especially duing lunch hours but the service is always great. The food is amazing particularly during breakfast and lunch. They offer a lot of great vegan options such as tofu scramble, veg breakfast patties, veggie burgers, wraps, sandwiches, salads, thai peanut stir-fry (for dinner), yummy soups and even vegan dessert such as vegan "cheesecake". Everything is pretty affordable although portions for some of the lunch items are small. They also serve great drinks like fresh lemonade. During night, they also turn into a bar. I wish they were completely veg instead of promoting "humane" meat and eggs but they do offer a lot of vegan options. The place is pretty small and "hippie" but what else can you expect in Yellow Springs? Overall, I strongly recommend trying the Sunrise Cafe for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Pros: many vegan options, healthy and locally grown food, cute, clean atmosphere
Cons: long waits during lunch hours, serves meat, eggs and dairy, not open every day
ganymeder
ganymeder

Horrible service

Posted on 07 / 23 / 2010

I think this is the worst restaurant I've been to in a long time. We had to wait for about 20 minutes to sit (it's just a little cafe) but I wanted to try it since it had vegan options. The waitress moved so slowly it was like she time had warped around her. The menu warned that they would take longer than normal because they prepare each meal from scratch, so I thought at least the food will be good. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything special, nothing I couldn't have gotten at almost any other deli in half or a quarter of the time. If you're starving and/or have time to kill, go there. Otherwise, save your money and eat somewhere else. We'll almost certainly never darken their door again.

Pros: some vegan food
Cons: very slow service, mediocre food

Dear Owner and Manager of Sunrise Cafe: