Casual little cafe serving veggie burgers, set meals, and more. Had closed in Sept then re-opened in in Oct 2012. Address in Japanese is 京都市左京区鞠小路通今出川上ル. Directions: from the intersection (Hyakumanben) go west on Imadagawa, turn north(right) at the first traffic light, walk about a block, and the restaurant is on your right. Address in Japanese: 京都府京都市左京区田中大堰町168-2. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, Western, Japanese
168-2, Hyakumanben (Imadagawa Higashioji)
Kyoto, Japan
075-7117617

Open Mon-Thur 11.00-15.00.

First Review by Ricardo
jenchal
jenchal

fantastic!

5 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2014

Very yummy food, and for a reasonable price too (set lunch was 1000 yen ). There is no English menu, but the staff are able to explain the options in English. I had a plate with a small sample of all the other options, plus rice and soup. The cafe is easy to find, but a bit out of the way. I would highly recommend it!

Pros: excellent food, healthy, easy to find
Cons: location
Noraply
Noraply

Great food and atmosphere!

5 Posted on 08 / 15 / 2014

Sunny place is open again. I used to live in Kyoto two years back when sunny place mysteriously was closed all the time so I never had a chance to go. This time I was just visiting Kyoto since I now live in Kanagawa and on a small chance that it might be open I went there for lunch. And they were. I have been there two times now and they seem to have lunch monday to friday until 14:30, and this week another group "Plant Lab" will start to do dinner between 18-22 on friday to sunday. If you are wondering about other places to eat, the lady having the lunch restaurant has a ton of good Kyoto-veggie-tips.

Pros: Tasty wholesome food, Friendly People, Hippie atmosphere
Cons: Low on staff, Can run out of food when busy
al30sh
al30sh

sweet little spot with great food made with love

5 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2014

This very small counter top restaurant serves up such great food that feels heart and soul warming. Traditional japanese set lunch with various side dishes like gomae, hijiki with lotus root, sweet potato and pickles. The rice was delicious, great vegan miso soup and the owner and her assistant so clearly put their heart into the food- it is beautiful, filling and healthy. Really wonderful place- by far my favorite in Kyoto.

Pros: Delicious vegan food, Artfully prepared, Very comfortable informal vibe
Cons: Small

davidredstone
davidredstone

Closed during normal lunch hours

3 Posted on 04 / 18 / 2013

I'm getting really annoyed at how many places are closed (without explanation) when they are meant to be open!

Pros: Easy to find
Cons: Closed when meant to be open
Smithereens
Smithereens
  • non-vegetarian

Re-opened!

4 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2012

Happy to report that this place has now re-opened. I'm studying Japanese in Kyoto and had heard about this restaurant but never got a chance to go before they closed. In September I happened to pass by and there was a sign outside saying something about the first of October. I decided to come back later and finally did today to discover it had re-opened in October. Sugoi!

Since I haven't been there before I can't tell if anything has changed, but they still serve a lunch set with fried soy chicken which was nice and juicy. I also had a cinnamon rice muffin which was a bit dry, but the chestnut jam that came with it was good. I chatted a bit with the staff (two ladies) and they were friendly. I totally forgot about the millet burger, but I guess I will have another chance. ;)

mannschaftpag
mannschaftpag

Definitely closed

2 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2012

The owner of the sushi bar next door confirms this place has been closed for a long time, though its all still set up as a restaurant.

Jessqi
Jessqi

Wasn't Open

3 Posted on 07 / 03 / 2012

We tried going to this place three times over a week but it wasn't open and had no explanation. We were really looking forward to trying the famous millet burger.

Cons: Not open
Honuman
Honuman

cozy and comfortable

5 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2011

I regularly eat at this nice little restaurant because I love their home-made style dishes. Owner and all the workers there are very friendly, which always makes me feel at home and enjoy the conversations with them. Highly recommended even for non-vegetarians as food there is simply so good! My fav is fried soy chicken!!

Pros: tasty food, affordably priced, friendly workers
jacqui
jacqui

Delicious millet burger!

5 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2010

We tried to eat here several times but it was shut on 2 occasions, anyway, last night in Kyoto we made it. The closest tourist things were the imperial palace and Kyoto university. It took about 40 mins to get here from Kyoto Station (where we were staying). Happy cow instructions were good and google map correct. Friendly staff, you take your shoes off and sit at the counter. We ordered the millet burger because other reviewers had recommended them, and they were superb. Really tasty and came with a side-order (you choose from the bowls at the counter). Owner spoke small amount of English, but felt readily accessible to tourists like us with little Japanese. It was excellent value for money. Highly recommended if you are in the area. Its pretty close to Cafe Proverbs.

Pros: Tasty food, Healthy cuisine, Good value
ishtari
ishtari

Nice people and great food

5 Posted on 05 / 15 / 2010

Sunny Place is small but cozy with good and affordable food. I was there on the 12 of may 2010 and they had a very basic English menu and the owner didn't speak too much English, but it's easy to just point and say kudasai! :)

The Millet burger was my favorite and i would also recommend the organic beer and chai tea.

By my Swedish standards they have a bit peculiar opening hours , 1200-1400 & 1800-2230 wed - mon (closed on Tuesday) but it's awesome to be able to get a good vegan burger at 2215!

Pros: Good food, Good value
Cons: Strange hours
wanderingvegans
wanderingvegans

Love the v.chicken

5 Posted on 04 / 25 / 2010

We ate at Sunny Place in August 2009- the lunch sets are great value (under 1000 Yen) and delicious. We ate the fried gluten chicken with choice of 3 fresh salads, brown rice and miso soup and the millet burger set. We also had a fresh soy chai.

The staff are really friendly and we were glad to be able to eat food made by them again (more fried gluten chicken) at the Kyoto Vegan Festival.

The restaurant is easy to find and close to a bus stop. It is small, but has a really cozy atmosphere. English may be limited, but the shop is clearly signed in English.

Pros: cheap, delicious
qrsqrt
qrsqrt

A lot of food and all of it delicious

5 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2009

Sunny Place is very small and casual but very friendly. The menu has limited amounts of English but the staff was very helpful. We went in between lunch and dinner hours, so we were worried because sets would not be available. However, even though we went ala carte we not only got substantial entrees but our choice of three sides and a bowl of soup and another bowl of rice. For two people at an odd hour it was only 1900 yen. This is an incredible value for incredible food. Right around the corner from Cafe Proverbs, just go down the street running diagonally NW from the corner of Imadegawa-dori and Higashioji-dori, turn right at the first main intersection. Closed Tuesdays, lunch from 12:00-14:00, dinner from 18:00 to 22:00.

Pros: delicious options, numerous selections, great atmosphere
ocoyolo
ocoyolo

Great food and service

5 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2009

Went on Oct 18, 2009. The restaurant has a very casual setting and the service is great. Tried the Millet burger and the Soy "pork" burger and they taste great! Not very expensive (ard yen750), which is considered cheap in japan.

It is within walking distance (2mins walk) from Cafe 15:17

Pros: Friendly staff, Makes me feel home
Cons: Nil
Ricardo
Ricardo

Great value

4 Posted on 10 / 09 / 2009

Lunch/Dinner Set is 850~950 yen, including misoshiro and brown rice. The staff is quite friendly, but the place has only a counter for about 10~12 people. Though I didn't see an English menu, apparently they can speak a little bit.

Personally, I felt that the quantity of food was not much, but I think it's fair for the price. Quality is good, vegan only.

Pros: Economic, Friendly, Healthy
Cons: Small place, A bit hard to find

Dear Owner and Manager of Sunny Place: