This organic bakery makes artisan bread using ancient grains. Also is a vegetarian restaurant with vegan options. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Bakery, Bulgarian, International, Beer/Wine, Take-out
W Gladston St 18 B (Kniaz Boris)
Sofia, Bulgaria 1000

Mon-Sun 9:00am-10:00pm

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by JoannaPolko
aps101
aps101

Love this place!

5 Posted on 05 / 07 / 2014

I was thrilled when this place turned out to be on the corner of the street my hostel was staying in. (I went to the William Gladstone location.) It is an all vegan bakery, their breads are gorgeous and smell amazing. They also have cookies, cakes, and lots other items. They also offer a daily menu. There are several vegan options and some raw ones too. It was such a great place to linger with their home made lemonade (so good!) and breads for a leisurely Saturday morning breakfast. It has a great vibe and lovely communal tables in the front and some smaller ones in the back. And the staff is great. The woman who served me was really knowledgeable and able to point out what items were vegan and was happy to translate ingredients and share what her favorites were. Everyone there was really nice and cool. The kind of people you would want to be friends with. Also, the place was immaculate. It was a bit slow the morning I was in and they were all doing a lot of cleaning of shelves, etc. They had a lot of initiative, if I was the owner, I would be thrilled to have employees like these. Again, I was delightfully surprised at the plethora and quality of veggie and vegan options in Sofia and this place was just great.

Joanna Karatsaneva
Joanna Karatsaneva

Good place to go for a change

3 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2014

Located on a small street close to "Vitosha" blvd. in the city centre,this cosy place is a bakery and a restaurant in one.

The bread they bake, is really good and tasty,but a bit expensive.

The restaurant is small and most of the times is very busy.

They serve vegan and vegetarian meals.

The menu is not very big,but still OK.

Here I ate the worst soup in my life,about a year ago,but overall the food is good. Really good desserts.

Service was not good most of the times.

They cover the tables, the bar,sell bread and take money on the cashier too. Sometimes there is a queue for the bread.

I would suggest they have different people to do the different jobs.

Pros: located in the city center, cosy, nice desserts
Cons: not easy to find, small place,few tables , poor service
veggieriga
veggieriga

Not quite sure how I feel

4 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2013

I ate at this location twice and the other location once. At this location, I had the chickpea burger which I thought would be one burger, but was three little burgers. They were tasty, but the portion size was very small and more of an appetizer portion size than a main course portion size. When I arrived, I saw people waiting in line and not having been there before, I also stood in line. However, once at the register, I found out that the line was only for people to get things to go such as bread or food to go, but since I was already there I ordered the veganized chickpea burger. When it came, there was a cream thing and I asked the waitress what it was. Perhaps she didn't understand, because she just said it was vegan and walked away. I didn't feel like calling her over to ask again what was I supposed to do with it, because I couldn't tell if it was vegan mayo or what or for the burger or salad. Also on the menu online, it said it was 450g but in the restaurant on the menu, it was crossed out and 350g was written instead. I didn't try the vegan mayo or sour cream, but I think even if I had, I still would not have been full. The food was tasty though, but the portion size was very small.

I returned again another day and had the Thai tofu dish. I didn't really like it, because I didn't like the tofu. It resembled the tofu, I bought once in a store that had round corners and that I didn't like because it had a strong unpleasant taste. The portion size was good though, but I would not recommend tofu dishes, because the tofu tastes a bit strange. This time the waiter was more helpful. Also the manager or owner was also helpful.

This location only has communal seating, and it is a bit crowded. In order to leave, I had to ask other people to get up, because otherwise I would not have been to get past them. The other location is bigger, and I prefer that location, although this one is a little closer to the main pedestrian street.

Smaik
Smaik

Bulgarian Style at its best!

5 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2013

Very cute resturant with very young and friendy people working there! The desserts are all the time changing, so just ask them about it :)! i found lots of great vegan cakes and even traditional bulgarian cuisin (vegan) :)! loved it

ps: if you go there, try the whole rye drink! ;-)

Pros: Lots of vegan food, friendly stuff, super cute resturant
pupa
pupa

Great Find

5 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2012

Very nice approach to healthy eating in Bulgaria. I love the home feel of the place, and the staff is very professional, attentive and friendly ( which is not usual for Bulgaria ). I like the fact that there are tables on the street, so one can really submerge in the Sofia atmosphere. the street is fairly quiet so one can spent a few hours there, enjoying organic beer and great food!
the food is delicious, fairly simple and to the point, definitely rooted to the BUlgarian cuisine, but VEGAN! dishes that are not Vegan are marked so one can feel very comfortable in selecting.
i did choose a dessert as well, and being very picky on good dessert, was not impressed!
A must visit for Vegans in Sofia! i have a feeling one get easily become regular, since the options in town are limited!

Pros: atmosphere , food, friendly staff
alnair
alnair

Great place!

5 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2012

Cozy venue with a lot of vegan options, friendly English-speaking staff and superb bread! Unfortunately I wasn't able to try their desserts, but everything else I ate (a soup, a salad and a sandwich) was really delicious.

Pros: tasty dishes, friendly staff, cozy, nice place
new-to-vegan
new-to-vegan

Not impressed!

2 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2012

Decided to buy my bread at the bakery before ordering dinner. Cashier was either very bad at math or dishonest. Wrong change. When I pointed this out, she angrily gave me the 2 Leva difference. After this, we decided to eat elsewhere. Be sure to ask for a receipt and check your change!

Cons: short changed
JoannaPolko
JoannaPolko

Ridiculously tasty!

5 Posted on 09 / 29 / 2011

Great staff and excellent food! It's one of the best veggie places i've visited, couldn't believe the way everything tasted, it was simply an amazing culinary experience...It's a must visit for all the hungry (and not so hungry...but curious) healthy food fans..Absolutely loved it!!!

Pros: super tasty, super healthy, super friendly staff
Cons: we don't have it in NL

Dear Owner and Manager of Sunmoon Bakery: