Sunmoon Bakery - Septemvri

Second location of this organic bakery. Uses ancient grains that include einkorn, spelt, kamut. Also is a vegetarian restaurant with vegan options. Has wi-fi. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, Bakery, Bulgarian, International, Beer/Wine, Take-out
Ul 6-ti Septemvri 39
Sofia, Bulgaria 1000

Open Mon-Sat 8am-10pm, Sun 9am-10pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by fabrye
Marilynka
Marilynka

Not bad

3 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2014

I have been to this restaurant few times but always had some problems with the order. One time we had to wait about 1 hours and 30 minutes to get our food. They simply forgot about it! When we wanted to buy the bill they couldn't find it and they started looking for it in the bin...the food was OK but the portions are not very big.
I like the bread they sell and I recommend it.

Pros: Nice bread
Cons: small portions
veggieriga
veggieriga

Ok food

4 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2013

I ate at this location once and at the other location twice. At this location I had the baba ganush, homemade bread and mujadarra. This location is more spacious than the other one and there are individual tables downstairs, whereas the other one is mostly communal seating.

My baba ganush was ok and was too thin for my taste. I am used to thicker baba ganush. However, Sunmoon does not have pita bread, and instead I had several types of their homemade bread. Whereas with pita bread, I could dip the pita bread in the baba ganush, with regular bread, I had to spread it on with a knife. Since I had to spread it with a knife, it makes sense the dip would be thinner, but I prefer the thicker dip.

The mujadarra was a good portion size, but strongly tasted of lemon. In the past, when I have had mujadarra, it did not have lemon or came with a lemon slice on the side so I could chose the amount of lemon juice I wanted. Because, there was too much lemon juice, I could only eat some of it. It would be great if they would put the lemon slice on the side, so people could have it without lemon if they wanted.

Vegan items and food that can be veganized are clearly marked on the menu.

I would give three happy cows for the food, but I will give an extra happy cow, because they bought me spring water without my asking. I also found out that it was safe to drink the tap water and that there was a spring in the downtown area where I could refill my water bottle.

Pros: complimentary spring water
popwill
popwill

A really overpriced place with a mediocre food

2 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2013

I really need to warn the people on happycow about this place, before they get robbed at Sun and Moon.

The daily meal was wrong - what I mean by that is that the whole day they were cooking a different daily from what it said on the menu (2 out of 5 main ingredients were wrong), and the chef found out only after we made the remark. How bad can you get to cook a WHOLE day of daily (we ate at 9 pm, they serve it from noon) from a different menu?! Even worse, the daily was served to one person and the other one had to wait 40 minutes for their main course after the first person was already done (even though at time of order there were roughly 3 tables with about 10 people top in the restaurant). Unacceptable. And since all 3 tables near us were served in the same matter (different orders, not daily, but still not acceptable) I think this is the way they do things at sun moon. One girl was waiting about 30 minutes in which time the guy received his salad, finished it, and then received his main! What makes the matter worse is that the daily was already cooked so there was no need to serve the daily to the one person and not wait for the main to be ready for the other person and THEN serve both at the same time. I am not the most patient person in the world, but I can definitely wait a few extra minutes if told so, but can't accept the daily to be served 40 minutes before my main, which puts both persons at the table at an awkward situation! On top of that, half of the things on the menu are not available, why bother writing them there?! I think this is the way restaurants work in Bulgaria (we had 3 occasions), but still Sun Moon beat them all up. Missing things from the daily menu? No problem! Half the menu missing, missing drinks etc. - a huge problem! And to top it all, the food is not that great, its OK at best, it is very pricey for bulgarian standards (I guess the newly vegan rich in Sofia have to show their standard in some way). So the restaurant has a definite 0 stars from us for the cooking, the serving and the pricing (definitely very over priced!) and I highly recommend you to check some place else.
Until they change the food, the pricing and the attitude this place can't be recommended.
Updated from previous review on Thursday August 29, 2013

Pros: almost none, the lower floor seems nice
Cons: pricing, mediocre food, cooking
fabrye
fabrye

• non-vegetarian

Great food and great place!

5 Posted on 06 / 14 / 2013

The food is very good, and the staff friendly. We ate here 3 evenings in a row, to be able to try many of their dishes. When the weather is nice you can eat outside. It's also a bakery.

Dear Owner and Manager of Sunmoon Bakery - Septemvri: