Sunflower Vegetarian Restau...

Extensive Asian cuisine menu featuring mostly vegan food. Some dishes are made with mock-meats, and there are some Japanese dishes. Non smoking. No alcohol. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Asian, Macrobiotic
2531 Chain Bridge Rd (Nutley St)
Vienna, Virginia 22181

missmanda
missmanda

Good Fast Vegan Food

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2014

Sunflower was the fastest vegan restaurant I have ever been too. Tried it for the first time recently and was overwhelmed by the large menu, which was a bit chaotic and confusing. Had the golden nugget, which reminded me of spring rolls. It was served atop a bed of rice and steamed vegetables. It was covered in a think brown sauce, which was heavy and there was too much of. The side salad was good though, and had a tasty Miso/ginger dressing. Overall the meal was satisfactory and I would go back to try other menu items.

Pros: fast service, gluten free options, large menu
Cons: too much sauce, large menu
AnnalieseH
AnnalieseH

Interesting, at least

Posted on 08 / 10 / 2014

I visited Sunflower last fall, but I just got a HappyCow account, so I'm reviewing now.

When a friend learned that I'd be in Vienna one day, she recommended Sunflower-- not because it was the best vegan restaurant, but because she knew I was unfamiliar with the area and wanted to choose something near where I'd be, anyway (NVCC's Annandale campus).

1. The atmosphere was kind of weird-- chintzy little sunflower dolls and stuff all over the place. Kind of cute, but not really the environment I want when I'm eating.

2. It was nice to go to a vegetarian restaurant, as I'm from a small city where there is no such thing. I loved knowing that I could eat almost anything on the menu!

3. I started with the iced tea and the Cold Basil Rolls, and they were great: the tea was sweetened with maple, which I adore, and the rolls were refreshing and delicious. I love anything maple or basil, though, so I might be biased.

4. I found the entrees we ordered much more disappointing. I ordered Popeye's Favorite, and I didn't eat much... I thought it was gross. Everything seemed to use too much salt and pepper. My husband, on the other hand, got the Golden Nugget dish, and his was MUCH better. It still didn't taste particularly healthy, but it was fun to eat, and I ended up stealing a good bit of it. :)

5. We finished with the Avocado and Lemon Pie, and we were really disappointed. We nibbled at it, but it was weird and unpleasant. This was our first experience with a vegan pie, and it made us hesitant to try others. But what could we expect from an avocado pie? I blame this on myself.

I know I make it sound like a bad place, but it's not. Next time I'm in Vienna, I'll visit again-- I'll just stick with the dishes that sound similar to things I order elsewhere. I don't love every dish at ANY restaurant, so I can't blame them for that!

formerly_fluffy
formerly_fluffy

Reliably Excellent

Posted on 08 / 03 / 2014

We've been going to Sunflower for over 15 years and can always count on a great meal. There are plenty of dishes that do not have fake meat though many do. I have introduced many non veg eaters to popular dishes and found that they always like them.

Pros: Many Choices, Great Sevice
Cons: Not Cheap

MissJenny
MissJenny

Sunflower rocks!

Posted on 04 / 30 / 2014

I absolutely love this place. The staff are extremely friendly, service is quick, and the food is always delicious and generously-portioned. Particularly yummy is the General Tso's (available both vegetarian and vegan) which seems to be a favorite at this place (even meat eaters love it.) Their menu is huge and features a really nice variety of dishes. I have trouble choosing because there are so many options! I can't recommend this place enough.

Pros: Friendly staff, Delicious food, Tons of vegan options
childchr
childchr

Yummy Veg

Posted on 08 / 20 / 2013

Great place for vegetarians and vegans...as well as meat eaters if you can convince them to go one whole entire meal without meat. :) The Curry Supreme is my all time fav.

Suburbivore
Suburbivore

Tasty, but not necessarily healthy

Posted on 07 / 08 / 2013

We've struggled to find good vegan-friendly offerings in the suburbs, but our family liked every dish we had at Sunflower. My teens still rave about it. The only thing that keeps us from going more often is that it can be a bit oily and high in sodium.

Plus, we've been trying to get away from faux meats, and that's the basis for most of their dishes. Also, the atmosphere is a bit kitschy. Cute, but the explosion of sunflower-themed items can get a bit overwhelming.

Pros: Tastes great, Good service, Completely vegetarian menu
Cons: Seems high in oil/salt, Kitschy atmosphere
lfusfeld
lfusfeld

Good appetizers, Mediocre entrees

Posted on 06 / 25 / 2013

I've consistently enjoyed Sunflower's appetizers, but have been consistently disappointed by their entrees. There aren't that many vegan options in the NoVA area, so I still eat here once in awhile, but it's not healthy and the entrees are mediocre (except for some of them, which are actually bad).

Pros: Inexpensive, Mostly Vegan, Good appetizers
Cons: Non-vegan items on the menu, Mediocre to bad entrees
irar
irar

Great!

Posted on 04 / 02 / 2012

One of the best vegan-friendly restaurants in the D.C. area. The fake meat dishes please most non-vegetarians too. Most items are vegan, and the ones that aren't are clearly indicated on the menu.

Pros: great food, very vegan friendly, great service
madhupriya
madhupriya

yum

Posted on 09 / 28 / 2011

i love this place, the kale and burdock and the gen.tsao's are my favourite, and the cold basil rolls and the fried in breadcumbs nuggets (forgot their name)..
and unlike most people who have reviewed here, i totally love the deserts, i used to love the avocado pie the most until i tried the chocolate cake which is amazing...... i would eat them both if i could. my brother had the pumpkin pie and i was surprised to find that i liked that. personally i would buy a couple of take away pies and have the chocolate cake on the spot, because the pies last and they have a yummy sauce drizzled over and around which makes them even better. in short, i love the deserts here as much as i love the rest of the menu!

maverick
maverick

wonderful food, consistently

Posted on 04 / 28 / 2010

i eat at sunflower pretty regularly. the food is delicious and consistent, and they adapt the preparation to your requirements (for example, if you want less salt or less pepper).

favorites include spinach wonton soup, vegetable lo mein, kale and burdock, general tsao's surprise.

i've tried the dessert pies, but haven't found anything that i've liked.

Pros: delicious, adaptable, friendly
Cons: dessert pies
Guest
Guest

My Favorite Restaurant!

Posted on 04 / 16 / 2009

The Sunflower is turely the best restaurant I've ever visited. The atmosphere is great, as is the food. For appetizers, the fried "chicken and the mock eel are great. I recommed Popeye's favorite and curry supreme as main dishes. But, be warned: the desserts are AWFUL! Other than that, everything is wonderful!

Pros: Great Food, Nice Atmosphere
Cons: Bad Desserts
Jack-the-Lad
Jack-the-Lad

Ingredients NOT Healthy

Posted on 03 / 15 / 2009

Don't believe their "healthy cooking" nonsense. They fry in chemicals. Sunflower Restaurant cooks using shortening which contains Methyl Silicone (MS) and Tertiary Butylhydroquinone (TBHQ). TBHQ is a preservative, and doesn't belong in the human body. I discovered cannisters propping open their back door. Previously, I'd taken them at their word they avoided chemical nasties. I'm furious I fed my kids that stuff once a week for a couple years. They violated my trust, that they were indeed using healthy ingredients. In fact, they are not.

xbillyx
xbillyx

Hands down best veg restaurant in the world

Posted on 11 / 30 / 2008

The Sunflower is hands-down the best vegetarian restaurant I've ever been to. Seriously. The food is amazing. Yes, the best veg restaurant in the world is in the Virginia suburbs outside Washington, DC.

The owners and people who work there are very nice and know my wife, best friend, and me by name. :)

I grew up outside DC and would go to the Sunflower roughly three times a week. Every time I go back to DC I go there. I crave it and miss it.

I highly recommend the Fried Chicken appetizer and the following entrees: General Tso's, As You Wish Garden, and Sweet and Sour Sensation. General Tso's and the fried chicken are the best things on the menu.

Pros: Amazing food, Very friendly staff, Cute atmosphere
Cons: Not 100% vegan (extremely close)
pheasance
pheasance

Great appetizers!

Posted on 11 / 29 / 2008

I love the appetizers so much that I rarely order an entree. Do not miss the fried chicken. The almond-berry pie is also good if you have room for dessert. The staff is always pleasant -- it is clear they practice the compassion reflected in their menu.

Pros: good appetizers, vegan dessert options
audrey
audrey

My First Vegetarian Restaurant

Posted on 08 / 09 / 2008

I am a Vienna native and remember when this restaurant location was regularly changing hands. As a teenage vegetarian I was thrilled to see Sunflower take over, but worried it wouldn't last long. The food was so good so I took advantage while I could. Now over a decade later, I eat here every time I'm in town. It's still there and still just as delicious. Everyone I know loves it (actually, my 90 year old grandmother-in-law does not, but the elderly are set in their ways). My husband always orders the General Tso's Surprise. I like to try everything I can. Visit this place. You're going to like it.

Pros: Yum!, Fresh ingredients, healthy
joker111481
joker111481
  • non-vegetarian

Excellent restaurant!

Posted on 05 / 05 / 2008

I love this restaurant, the food is delicious! The tempeh sandwich is my favorite, my significant other likes the veggie tempura because it has avacado in it. Great place, I highly recommend it.

AvatarofHealing
AvatarofHealing

A place to energize your soul and your palate

Posted on 01 / 27 / 2008

I first came across the Sunflower restaurant in Vienna(another Sunflower opened in Falls Church, VA in the summer of 2007, and it is also wonderful ) in July 2006 after a Tao practice gathering nearby. I found the food to be energizing (the uncaffeinated Japanese mu tea and the "Raw World" are two examples), tasty (meat eaters can't believe the "General Tso's Surprise" doesn't have any meat in it), and full of healing ingredients (burdock root which is used to heal cancer in alternative herbal therapies can be found in the "Kale burdock" entrée, as well as the shitake, monkey mushroom and other mushrooms used in the various dishes are just some examples). It is now a favorite stomping ground for me and my friends. I hope you check it out and invigorate your body, mind and spirit through the experience!
:-)

Pros: Tasty vegan dishes and deserts , No meat on the premises, Healing and tasty veggies combos
VeganTex
VeganTex

Sunflower

Posted on 08 / 06 / 2007

My favorite vegetarian restaurant! If you like 'fake' meat, you will love this place. Plenty of variety and large dinner portions.
-VeganTex

marija
marija

Pretty Darn Good

Posted on 06 / 02 / 2007

Cute hippie atmosphere, we had the steamed dumplings which were tasty, but pretty typical, and I forget the name of the dish I had but it had vegetables and a meat analog with bean curd skin, which was really good. It came with white or brown rice, which is nice since I do like white rice. My husband got the sweet and sour which he said he enjoyed. I felt the prices were reasonable, and I did have leftovers. We were too full to order dessert. I had fresh carrot juice to drink...they had several interesting options for beverages.

Pros: Quiet, relaxed atmosphere, Good value, Tasty vegan food!

Dear Owner and Manager of Sunflower Vegetarian Restaurant: