Sunflower Thai Vegetarian...

Change of management in 2013 and menu modified to have more Thai food, and includes a variety of mockmeats, vegetable dishes. Also changed to full table service kind of restaurant. Originally was Sunflower Cafe. Closed on Sun. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Thai, Chinese, Take-out

First Review by studioahimsa
Winterdragon
Winterdragon
  • herbivore

Nice place with lots of variety

4 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2014

Huge menu with many interesting vegan things on it. Excellent vegan pad thai. Reasonable prices. Somewhat odd opening hours.

Pros: Great variety, Tasty food, Reasonable prices
Cons: Odd opening hours
Jacki
Jacki

Really, Really Tasty And Fresh!

5 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2014

Really flavourful and fresh ingredients with subtle blends of spices. Everything we ordered was delicious... and vegan!

Pros: Friendly Service, Great Food
Cons: Closed On Monday, A Little Hard To Find Location
jencompgeek
jencompgeek

My new favorite place

5 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2014

We ate here during a recent visit to Auckland and were blown away. The food was so delicious! The menu states that they use no animal products and I didn't see anything that looked non-vegan. We had some spring rolls, pad thai with "chicken" and fried noodles with "chicken". The portions were very generous and the price was reasonable. My only complaint is that we couldn't eat there again since they are closed on Sundays.

Pros: delicious, good value, vegan
Cons: closed Sundays

kim2121
kim2121

Delicious!

5 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2014

During a visit to Auckland I stopped in at Sunflower Thai and had the vegan pad Thai for an early dinner. So delicious! I wish I could eat here every day! The restaurant was a bit hard to find as it was located behind a Chinese dumpling restaurant, but just walk toward the back of the building, around the Chinese restaurant, and you'll find it. Such a great restaurant for vegans and vegetarians!

Pros: Delicious Food, Friendly Service, Good Value
Cons: Interior is a bit dark
Shawn Bishop
Shawn Bishop

Best Vegan In Auckland

5 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2014

I can't rave enough about this restaurant. It's my absolute favourite. I eat here at least once a week, and often buy takeaways for dinner. The food is delicious, the prices reasonable, and the staff are very friendly. I highly recommend the fish cakes (not fishy at all, totally vegan, with a sauce that is to die for), and the spicy chicken. Don't let the names put you off, it's all vegan. I bring guests and friends regularly, and they're always impressed. You will be, too! (Easiest to park in Victoria St carpark, and take elevator down to ground floor. Come out and turn right. Entrance is a few shops up on your right, restaurant is at the back.)

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, affordable
preppyvegan
preppyvegan

Best in Auckland!

5 Posted on 10 / 28 / 2013

I love Sunflower! The staff are friendly and the food is great! I go here two to three times a week for lunch, favorites include the pan friend dumplings, money bags, spicy chicken and the green curry. The portions are generous and include rice. There is a good mixture on the menu of healthy soups, noodles, stir fry veg and mock meat/tofu. Mains are $10 - $12, almost impossible to match that in the CBD! I can't recommend Sunflower more, it's so refreshing to have an entirely veggie place so conveniently located!

Pros: excllent food, friendly staff, good value
eosmusashi
eosmusashi

My favorite veggie place in Downtown

5 Posted on 05 / 07 / 2013

This place is the best! Walking distance from home in Downtown Central Auckland, this is probably my favorite place, not just for a vegetarian dinner but in general. I love the people working there, their smiles and attention, and the food is glorious. Many options in the menu. Try the Almond tea! A great and yummy way of eating out and eating healthy

Pros: Food, Friendly Staff, Nice Vibe
Kelsurfs
Kelsurfs

Excellent choice

4 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2013

I went to the Sunflower Cafe today. We found it by accident as we were walking up High St and they had their sign out. What a great treat to find a whole cafe full of like minded people committed to a Vegan diet. Fantastic.

The menu is extensive and there are loads of choices. I spoke to the owner who is a Thai gentlemen. He bought the restaurant from the original owners who were Taiwanese, plenty of Vegan food there. They are committed to being Vegan and have introduced some Thai dishes on the menu as well.

It is well worth a look.

Pros: Good Food, Good Prices, Simple Cafe
Cons: A little bit hard to find, but worth it.
VeJo
VeJo

A very pleasant meal

4 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2013

This was probably the heartiest and cheapest meal we had during our trip to Auckland. The food was very good value: the usual Asian vegetarian style, not too greasy. The staff were extremely friendly. The video playing in the background (of some kooky young Japanese reporters sampling the restaurant's wares) was fun, but got annoying after about the third run through. It might be better for atmosphere not to have the TV.

Pros: Good simple food, friendly staff, inexpensive
Cons: Video player
MaryMcIntosh
MaryMcIntosh

Lovely little place

4 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2012

Great food, great company (I was by myself), and great staff. The lady who served me was so helpful, I was in a particularly indecisive mood, but she explained what everything was and even showed pictures of the selections on a computer, which was terribly helpful. The fish fillet was small but it tasted soo good. It was of course pretend fish. Also she suggested I had some plum tea, which was absolutely delightful. I sort of want to go back, but there are so many other places to try...

Pros: Friendly staff, Delicious food, Tasty tea
msvegan
msvegan

Best Veg in downtown AKL

4 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2011

This place was great a couple of years ago when it was run by an old Taiwanese couple. They sold it and the current owners have simplified the menu.

Its still pretty good for dim sum and basic noodle soups etc.

There lunch buffet can be good if they have seasonal veggies they have prepared from their farm.

Pros: Vegan Food, won tons, dim sum
Cons: not very flavorful, simple menu, pricey for quality
dumpling
dumpling

Handy

4 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2011

I worked in the city for a while and this was handy and great place for a single person to go and eat.
Love the seasonal vege dumpling soup, Vege chicken burger, crunchie Vege pork, Guabao. They also have a lunch time buffet and reduced the price for a month to encourage people to donate to the Christchurch earthquake appeal. I wonder who did ha ha. The buffet was so worth it at that price, it tasted sooo much better. When they stopped I went back to the menu.

Pros: good for single people, cheap enough, variety no onion & garlic
Cons: sweet & sour bottled sauce
msblack
msblack

Ho-hum for me. Woah-yum for my mates.

3 Posted on 01 / 28 / 2011

Sunflower Cafe/Fortune has improved from a few years back. Everything use to be covered in MSG which I'm allergic to so I could only ever have the deep fried 'chicken' nuggets and chips. Now they don't use MSG (except for the dumplings) so I have a greater range to choose from. I'm far from being crazy about the place, I much prefer Golden Age in terms of taste, but a fair few of my friends absolutely swear by Sunflower Cafe. It is much cheaper than Golden Age so it's a good place to go with a lot of mates and not spend too many dollars. But when I'm hungry and on my own, I wouldn't choose to dine there, plenty of other places around town.

Pros: cheap, central location
Blue Cloud
Blue Cloud

Excellent foood!!!!!!!!

5 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2011

I really enjoyed my dining experience at Sunflower Cafe. The range is extensive and the staff, yes, were extremely welcoming and friendly. The pricing is appropriate. The rice and noodle dishes have so much vegs and mockmeat in them. Really satisfied!

Pros: Great range of food, Inexpensive, Friendly staff
Dmitry
Dmitry

Not bad

4 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2011

It's practially vegan as they said there only 2 items in their extensive menu that weren't. I had very nice boiled dumplings, laver (seaweed) and ham soup, which was OK (the "ham" tasted sort of pickled-ish), pickled veges and beef (with a kind of noodles), which would have been quite yummy if it hadn't been rather hot and hotter as I got to the bottom of the bowl (say that you'd like it mild if it matters to you). I also had a couple of nice juices, one of which was made of few layers of different kinds, which was tasty. I thought I detected a slight tiny wiff of tap water in their free water bottles (probably filtered), and I advised them to consider cheap bottled spring water instead (less eco-friendly for some). I had my meal while reading NZ vegetarian mag and overall it was not bad at all. The service was quick and the staff very friendly. I popped in Sat morning it was open, but the lady said actually they were not, so check the hours.

Pros: practically vegan, good food, friendly staff
Shriya
Shriya

So much variety- hard to choose!!

5 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2010

Aaaagh! The sweet smell of vegetarian food! The first thing I noticed about Sunflower vegetarian restaurant was that the staff were really really friendly:) and the food was really really good:) I ordered this spicy vegetarian chicken with rice meal while my friend ordered Miso soup. The mock meat was sooooo nice, it had a nice tangy spicy flavour:) :) I am definitly going back, and this time I'm going to have the wontons!!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday December 22, 2010
Updated from previous review on Wednesday December 29, 2010

Pros: The food:) obviously! , Friendly staff, good value for money
Cons: The toilet (it's way too small) , The restaurant looks a bit dull
misssakura
misssakura

Don't expect gourmet cuisine

4 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2010

We first started going to the sunflower about 3 years ago. It was easy to miss, a dingy back room of a run down mall.The menu was so vast that it would take 10 minutes just to go from cover to cover. Luckily they have brightened up the interior since then and cleaned up. Food safety is vastly improved (I did once see a cockroach underneath a fridge). The other great thing is that they have reduced their menu to just 2 pages since their early days. Sunflower vegetarian is junk food. I mean that in the nicest possible sense. When I want an indulgent, greasy chinese takeout this is my go to restaurant. You won't find health food here. Sunflower excels with their fried rice dishes which are comfort food to the max, the 'ribs' being my favourite as well as any sweet and sour type dish. The good thing is they do put a lot of vegetables in with the food unlike other chinese restaurants in the area. They make the best wontons, ask for extra sweet chili sauce. I keep going back because they do try to improve, the staff are friendly and the food is good, if not amazing. You get quite a lot of food for the money. Also it's best to avoid rush hour as they only have 1 chef who can get a bit slow at times. Call in advance to see how busy they are. One time we waited for 45 minutes. If you combined a fried rice (they do an excellent fake egg stir fry rice) from here with the sticky pork from Golden Age you'd have the best of both worlds! Not very practical but hey.

Pros: good value, friendly staff, lots of choice
Cons: a bit greasy, service can be slow
philjdomm
philjdomm

unfortunate mishap

2 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2009

hole in wall type...
ask them to reduce their sodium....
other than that, its all right

Petesternz
Petesternz

Struggling to see the beauty

2 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2009

I've read the reviews, but just don't get them. I have eaten here twice, and yet to experience even a decent meal. In fairness, I did try to get the dumplings, which I've seen someone else order (takeaway), and they were out. The food I've had was greasy and bland. The buffet looked uninspiring, and my tastes of a friend's meal confirmed the look. In a location where strong other vegan offerings abound (Raw Power, Revive), I don't see the appeal of this place. Stay away in particular from the soups, which turn out to be water, oil and noodles.

Cons: the food
Jeff Sanders
Jeff Sanders

Happy Fortune

5 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2009

I've never knew the actual name of this place, we just call it 'Fortune' for some reason. I've been going here for years, this place is simply the best! Value for money, great friendly staff, awesome food and a menu that doesn't seem to end. The dumplings are always good, steamed buns with red bean paste, banana sago pudding, chicken fried rice, the noodle dishes, the curry... I could go on. The decor is a little basic but who cares, there was always a big group of us dining here when I was in Auckland. Damn I miss that chicken fried rice! 谢谢你

Pros: Tasty, cheap, friendly staff
Cons: not open 24 hrs
Guest
Guest

The best

5 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2007

This place is great, I always eat here when passing through Auckland. There is so much variety and you get reasonable amount. I always get their wontons, dumplings and noodles - always great. The steam bread with barbecue pork and pickle is truly delicious, and so is the coconut sago desert! The owners are really lovely aswell.

Pros: Massive variety, Wontons/dumplings/noodles, coconut sago desert
  • amber_downthewells amber_downthewells

Will second that - the steamed bread with pork and pickle is one of my favourites - and I was stoked with the won tons after 5 won ton free, vegetarian years!

Aloo
Aloo

Asian style- authentic

4 Posted on 05 / 02 / 2007

Despite the elevator music, a nice place to sit and lots of options on the menu. Staff very friendly and helpful. They checked with me about dairy in one of the options I had ordered, which was much appreciated. Lots of mock meats, good for the non-vegos that were with me, they were satisfied and happy with thier meals. Non-BYO or licenced.

Pros: Food, service
Cons: that, elevator, music!
studioahimsa
studioahimsa

good place!

4 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2007

i have been here for 3 weeks and have been to vegetarian cafe 4 times! i ove their dumplings and spring rolls most. a lot of their stuff has fake ham which i hate but its a good place for a snack.

Pros: cheap, good location, good hours
Cons: fake ham, non-fake meat dishes smal, NOT SPICY

Dear Owner and Manager of Sunflower Thai Vegetarian Restaurant: