Sunflower Natural Food Rest...

Natural foods and vegetarian cafe. Try the veggieburgers. Lemonade is made with honey. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, American, Juice bar
10344 Fair Oaks Blvd (Sunrise, Village)
Fair Oaks, California 95628
916-967-4331
Closed now

Mon-Tue 10:30am-4:00pm, Wed-Sat 10:30am-8:00pm, Sun 11:00am-4:00pm

First Review by Vegan Mom
mrgagreer
mrgagreer

Nut-burgers to fight a Squirrel for

Posted on 07 / 02 / 2014

sense finding this place we have not found a better place for a nut burger. We try to get there every chance we get.

Pros: excellent food
Cons: Need more seating, no other
AlanC
AlanC

Do Not Miss This Place on Your Trip to Sacramento

Posted on 07 / 21 / 2013

Some places are just restaurants and some become your beloved cafeteria, an extension of your kitchen. Sunflower has been around for 35 years and the love and creativity is fresh every day. We ate 12 meals there during our 2 week stay. The Super Nutburger and Nutburger need to be sleuthed out by VegTimes Magazine. We need the recipe. The millet mushroom burger is also excellent. So, that's just the food. When you are waiting for your food, you meet interesting people. Sunflower is a happening. Thank you Becky Cliff! You have brought truly great things to Sacramento. We were unsuccessful in getting her to start a Sunflower in Maryland. Oh well. Just another excuse to go out west.

Pros: Food is delicious and fresh every day!!!, Great prices!, Atmosphere--a happening place
Cons: You will wait for you food but worth it., No Sunflower in other 49 states.
ashwinn
ashwinn

oldie but goodie.

Posted on 05 / 12 / 2013

I've been coming here since I was kid. After hundreds of veg burgers around the world, sunflower ranks in the top 3. It's legit goodness!

Pros: nut burger, nutty taco, super nachos
Cons: service can be spacey

PAL
PAL

Lifesaving discovery!

Posted on 02 / 20 / 2013

I've only had the opportunity to eat here once - while in the area in September 2012 for Pagan Pride Weekend. It seems I am in the minority as a vegan Pagan - and being stuck at my author table all day Saturday, with no decent food options available on-site, made the long, hot day even longer. So when I was at last able to escape and make my way to Sunflower, which I only knew about from Happy Cow, I was starving and desperate! I can't even remember everything I ordered, but besides getting some dinner, I got enough items for breakfast and lunch the following day, and it all tasted fantastically delicious, and felt like it saved my life. I know I loved the vegan potato salad; being able to get a vegan toasted cheese sandwich was fantastic, and there was a basic beans & rice item which was tasty & generous enough that it lasted me 2 meals. It was fairly late when I got there, and the place was busy, but although I was hungry and exhausted, the food seemed to come reasonably fast. The person taking my order was very friendly. It also seemed reasonably priced - but then, I live in the S.F. Bay Area, where even vegan food is usually overpriced.

Pros: An oasis in a desert of chain eateries, Good basic veg food
Cons: I don't live in the area, menu was a little hard to decipher
gavn8r
gavn8r

A Locals Oasis

Posted on 02 / 17 / 2013

I've been vegan for only a short time. But my wife has been vegetarian since she was a teenager. So I've been going with her to Sunflower frequently for about 15 years. The food is fabulous and fresh. Even meat-eaters like it as it's a change of pace from all of the fast food restaurants that are all over the place in the same general area. I highly recommend any one of their nut burgers. They're like taking a bite out of heaven.

Pros: Fresh ingredients, Friendly people, Same location FOREVER
Cons: Chickens walking around all over, Lots of flies outdoors
norcal girl
norcal girl

nut burger finatic!

Posted on 07 / 12 / 2012

I've been going here for years, small little unique drive up type of place, with some outside seating, love the chickens all over the place, and love pretty much everything ive had there, especially the nut burger, the patty melt, the nutty tacos etc!! very vegan friendly! only complaint is most of the staff, over the years always seems to be unfriendly and sometimes even rude. other than that, its a great place!

reddpepper86
reddpepper86

awesome place!

Posted on 04 / 09 / 2012

I have been going here for over 11 years now and I love it. I was vegetarian for a long time and made a transition to veganism last year. They have the option to have vegan bread, mayo and cheese and everything tastes great as usual.

Pros: friendly, delicious food
Cons: limited parking, busy (but that's also a good thing!)
VeganporVida
VeganporVida

The Food remains the same....

Posted on 10 / 31 / 2011

Sunflower is a Sactown staple! every Vegan/Veg and their blessed Mother have eaten here at least once. I eat here once a month! their Millet Burger and Nutty tacos are to live for! they make fresh cornbread(seasonal) and they have delicious smoothies. A plus is the chickens and roosters that run around the streets and in the parking lot. two more pluses for location, it's right next to a park and a short walk to the river.

Pros: Consistently mouth watering , Great customer service, Locationj
Cons: N/A
ericgoldman
ericgoldman

Funky and a Little Dated

Posted on 08 / 29 / 2011

This is a funky place. Old Town Fair Oaks is a ramshackle business district with undomesticated chickens wandering around. Then, this restaurant seeks to be the cost-effective vegetarian fast food mecca that we as vegetarians dream about. Most seating is outdoors, amidst the chickens, with unappetizing views of the parking lot baking in the hot Central Valley sun.

Sunflower Drive-in a holdover from the 1970s, and the menu mostly reflects a conception of vegetarianism from 4 decades ago. Their flagship item is a 1970s-style nutburger. Nutburgers have become trendy again, but their recipe is anything but trendy. The nutburger was the best thing we ordered, but it hardly compares with the veggie burgers at Mineral or Source or even Smart Alec's.

Other items were hit-and-miss. The falafel--which some people raved about at Yelp--was only vaguely reminiscent of a "real" falafel. I thought it was bland and uninspired. The kids' menu items were about what you'd expect--the burrito was lots of bean and cheese but not much else; the quesadilla was cheese and not much else. Chips and salsa were run-of-the-mill. The vegan potato salad was pretty good. Vegan cupcakes were as dry as you would expect. The root beer float was a rare overpriced item: $4 buys a paper cup, a dollop of ice cream and a can of off-the-shelf root beer.

As many other reviewers have noted, for a restaurant called a "drive-in" and hawking pseudo-fast food, they process orders at a maddeningly glacial speed. I don't know exactly why things take so long for what should be a well-oiled machine after decades of practice. We placed our order at 11:35 am and the bulk of the order took about 20 minutes on an ordinary workday. With properly calibrated expectations, this wait isn't insufferable; but compared to a place like Smart Alec's in Berkeley or Oreans in Pasadena where fantastic vegetarian food comes speedily, it's nevertheless baffling. I guess their method of operation works for them, but I imagine they could boost profits and throughput if they upgraded their operations.

Although I can't say the food rocked my world, we'll revisit Sunflower Drive-in when we go to visit my stepfather (now living in an assisted living facility just a couple miles away). It's cheap, filling and tasty enough to justify the small detour.

a_justiene
a_justiene

Sunflower Cafe

Posted on 07 / 29 / 2010

One of the most amazing vegetarian restaurants I've had the pleasure of trying. They have such a wide variety of healthy organic foods even non-vegetarians will love. I personally love the nut burger ans the black bean burrito. Definitely a place to try.

Pros: cheap, healthy
Cons: small, hours
jenngg
jenngg

Darn good!

Posted on 06 / 10 / 2010

I love the Sunflower. I love the charming, casual atmosphere that makes me feel like I'm in a photo shoot for Sunset Magazine. I adore the nut burgers, nut tacos - everything I've tried here, I love. Eating at the Sunflower is like a mini-vacation.

Pros: Tasty food, Atmosphere, Visit the chickens - don't eat them!
Cons: Parking
Susan Reeves
Susan Reeves
  • non-vegetarian

best ever

Posted on 12 / 08 / 2008

when I come home to Fair Oaks, this is a must EVERY TIME! Best ever Nut Burgers. Love to see the trademark roosters and chickens wandering the town. I have been making The Sunflower Cafe visit for well over 23 years and they are the best. The kids, Grandmas, and meat-eating uncles love it! Always crowded, not always able to get a spot inside or out, but there is always a spot in the town center to sit and enjoy the chicken show!

Robin E Parker
Robin E Parker

Wonderful discovery

Posted on 07 / 16 / 2008

I just started traveling to the "Sacramento" area and was happy to find this place. Try the Nutty burger and Nutty taco you will not be disappointed. I love their fruit cup.I went twice in one week and will be going again this week. Cute town, eat outside and enjoy the happenings.

Pros: healthy choices, excellent food, interesting
flycats
flycats

Fabulous Nutburgers

Posted on 05 / 30 / 2008

I went here for the first time. I loved the nutburgers! Can't wait to try more things.

Guest
Guest

Ignore the reviews complaining about the staff...

Posted on 03 / 08 / 2008

...these kids are just punk rockers. Whadya expect - go to In-N-Out Burger if you want your butt kissed with your meal. Seriously tho, I have eaten there for years and never noticed rude staff. The food is great, the service fine.

Pros: Delicious and filling, Healthy, Home-style
Cons: Semi-expensive, Gotta wait a bit
Hungry as Hell
Hungry as Hell
  • non-vegetarian

Great food! Horable Employee!

Posted on 02 / 16 / 2008

The food was delicious! Never had a more healthy, satisfying meal. But however a young girl with shoulder length dark hair was taking orders. I asked her if the burger came with onions or any type of meat or poltry in the ingredients. She responded by sighing everytime she answered my questions and got even more upset when a fellow employee corected her on the INGREDIENTS! This Girl was the most miserable person I have ever came in contact with EVER at a food buisness. I came in to check out the food because at carmax (where I work) we have a few vegetarians who cant eat the 100+ sandwiches we order for the weekend lunches we get for the entire staff. Being in customer service I understand the importance of friendly staff and we all have bad days. This person went way beyond aceptable behavior with the snide and unfriendly attitude she gave to me and 3 other people who came in just after me. We are taking our buisness else where!

Pros: Great food
Cons: 1 employee
cowtracks
cowtracks

Sunflower Natural Food

Posted on 11 / 08 / 2007

THE BEST VEGIE BURGERS ever. If you can deal with fast food restaurants, this is a good vegie choice.

Pros: BURGERS
Cons: Slow for fast food
Vegan Mom
Vegan Mom

Very Tasty!

Posted on 04 / 14 / 2007

After reading the reviews, my family and I decided to try this place out for ourselves. All five of us were VERY glad we did! We all had the highly-recommended vegan Nut Burger with chips and salsa. It was very tasty! We enjoyed sitting outside at one of the picnic tables. The place constantly had people coming up and ordering (you order at a window outside). They weren't the speediest, but it wasn't a terribly long wait. We were, however, disappointed that we didn't see the chickens and roosters that others have mentioned. We did walk over to the park right next door and saw a whole bunch of roosters there. Next time, we plan to take the food to-go and eat at the park. We very highly recommend this place, and we are all eager to go back very soon.

Pros: vegan options, friendly staff, very cute and casual
Cons: not 100% vegan

Dear Owner and Manager of Sunflower Natural Food Restaurant: