Sundowners on the Bay

Serves meat, veg options available. Predominately meat and fish restaurant with patio and view of water. Has a separate, small vegetarian menu that you must ask for; uses dairy. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, American, Italian, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
103900 Overseas Hwy
Key Largo, Florida 33037
305-451-4502

First Review by Sartis
Vibraceous, ND
Vibraceous, ND

Very Accommodating! BEAUTIFUL View!

4 Posted on 02 / 05 / 2014

We made a reservation for sunset when we were staying in Key Largo, and wow! What a beautiful view!

They offered a separate menu for vegetarians, which was not at first glance very raw vegan friendly, which is what I am interested in, but they were extremely accommodating at making menu changes and prepared a very nice salad for me. My husband was very pleased with the menu selection he made, which was the vegetarian shish ka-bob.

What they lacked in selection they made up for in service and beautiful, beautiful view! This was a very romantic setting for an evening out.

Pros: gorgeous ocean view!, friendly and competent staff!, vegetarian menu with great food!
Cons: needs more vegan selections, needs more raw vegan
the_mosh_pit
the_mosh_pit

It may not look vegetarian-friendly but it is

4 Posted on 12 / 26 / 2011

We went to this restaurant when vacationing; we use Happy Cow to help us find restaurants whenever we are out of town. As we pull into the parking lot my partner asks again, "Are you sure this is the right place?" It looks just like any other seafood place but upon our request they gave us a vegetarian menu. There were a few vegan options ( I had the mushroom kebobs and they were delicious) and though, as mentioned in other reviews, they don't have any fake meat dishes, they had some very creative pasta dishes. This restaurant definitely offers more than salads but it's a seafood restaurant whose vegetarian clientele is probably minimal (isn't fishing the big thing in the upper keys?) and I wouldn't expect them to have tofu.

Pros: great view, excellent food, friendly staff
nancyisorganic
nancyisorganic

Wished there were tofu

2 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2010

We recently stopped at Sundowners and while it was nice to see that they had a separate vegetarian menu, we were disappointed that it was basically pasta, salad and vegetables. I wish they would offer a tempeh or tofu dish, possibly a stir fry. It would be so easy to prepare and the local grocery stores all stock it, even the new Gardein brand which we've seen used in restaurants.

Pros: great location, sunsets
Cons: no creative veg option
LowenzahnTree
LowenzahnTree

Great !

4 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2010

Stopped in for dinner based on reviews here and we were not disappointed. It was right on the gulf and I'm sure the views during the daylight hours are incredible.The atmosphere was great. There is even an option to sit outside or inside. The wait staff were very friendly and when we asked for the veggi menu they perked right up and were happy to bring it out for us. I had the pasta primavera and it was fabulous....fresh ingredients cooked perfectly and they even put the grated parm cheese in a side dish for me without asking. I was impressed. The veggi menu was very detailed describing the dishes right down to the pasta used and ingredients. It was so refreshing to not have to ask 20 questions about the dish before ordering ! We will definitely be back next time we are in the area.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff
Cons: none
Wendy Vegan
Wendy Vegan

The only Vegan in the Upper Keys!

3 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2009

Wow! Is it hard to find vegan in the upper Keys. Sundowners not only has a great view and great service, they have a vegetarian/menue. You have to ask for it as they don't pass it out automatically. The food is cooked completely seperately using a meat-free grill and pans. I've tried most dished, which are pastas or salads, and they are all good, however the grilled mushroom kebabs servied with a side of roasted rosemary potatoes are the best! They are also very accomodating to requests. I highly recommend Sundowners!

Pros: vegan, meat-free grills, several selections
Cons: meat served, no tofu or mock meats

Sartis
Sartis

Fun

3 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2009

We were happy to find Sundowners had a vegetarian menu which included a couple items that we could eat (vegan). The food was surprisingly good/fresh and the staff were kind and welcoming. We had an enjoyable trip to this restaurant.

Pros: Veg menu, On the water, Kind waitstaff
Cons: Fishing tournaments sometimes held here

Dear Owner and Manager of Sundowners on the Bay: