Originally SunPower Natural Cafe, this vegan restaurant moved into this larger location from Cahuenga Blvd in July 2014 and expanded its menu. Offers a variety of vegan and raw foods such as veggie burgers and sandwiches, raw pizza and lettuce tacos, cashew shakes, raw cakes, and baked cupcakes. Sunday brunch is 10am-3pm. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Raw, Organic, American, Fusion, Take-out, Catering

First Review by Hugo
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

Tasty & Flavorful

5 Posted on 07 / 20 / 2014

Since they moved location, I figured it was time to update my review. The new place is lovely and spacious. It's in a converted house, so there's an outdoor patio as well as lots of indoor seating within the different rooms separated by French doors. The service is friendly as always. Sun Café is one of our favorite restaurants and it's wonderful to see them grow into this new space. Valet parking is available as well as street parking.

As for the food, there are some new items on the menu, but many of the old standards are there as well. We enjoy trying their specials too, especially at brunch, like the benedict and florentine. Over the years, we have tried almost all of the menu and it never disappoints. The food is so tasty and packed with flavor. Definitely a treat for the palate. The raw pizzas are the best I've had anywhere and the kale salad is amazing as is their homemade Sun chorizo which is on multiple different dishes. The raw cookie dough cheesecake is out of this world. On this most recent visit, we had the cast-iron skillet mac and cheese and the mushroom spinach quinoa risotto. Just delicious. And don't forgot to try their shakes! I really could just go on and on.

While I enjoy their raw and cooked dishes equally now, it was Sun Café that really opened my eyes to everything that raw could do. I recommend them to everyone. They also do a weekday happy hour if someone wants to try multiple smaller items. If you've never been, now is the time with their new location.

Pros: flavorful and tasty, lovely space, raw and cooked
juleslian
juleslian

Too expensive

3 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2014

I think raw is a trendy thing and people will spend more for that cache. As a 6 year vegan, I came to this place because I was interested in their vegan offerings. The food was good but so not worth the price. Place is cute, staff is nice but give me a break. Two vegan lunch entrees and one tea for $36? Ridiculous. Loads better nearby than this. Let the studio hipsters have this one.

Pros: atmosphere, waitstaff, flavors
Cons: price, parking
dancingvegan
dancingvegan

Rawfully Delish!!

5 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2014

This food raw-ked my taste buds!!

I had the Italian Sandwich, my friend the Zucchini Lasagna, and we shared a bowl of mushroom soup.

Hello??? How can they make just ordinary ingredients taste so extraordinary and make your mouth and tummy SO happy?? Pure genius I tell you!

To look at owner/chef Ron he doesn't physically show signs of possessing super human qualities like Superman or Spiderman or any other super-hero, but he does.

The place is small yet can accommodate many. It is clean, and nicely, yet simply decorated. In addition to inside seating, two tables adorn the sidewalk.

Parking is metered for maximum one hour at a time on the same side of the street; two hours at a time across the street.

If you have been thinking about going to this place, stop thinking and just do it! Your tummy and mouth will thank you!!

Their food is the reason they are one of the top vegan restaurants in the world and are in Happy Cow's first ever cookbook out in June 2014!

Pure genius, I tell you!

Pros: Extraordinary Flavor, Perfect Portions, Painstakingly Precious Presentation

sglcklch
sglcklch

Stick to the raw

4 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2014

I picked this place out for dinner solely because of their raw menu, so imagine my disappointment when the boyfriend wanted something cooked when I had set out to go all raw, especially when none of the cooked options looked particularly inviting. For the raw, we settled on the nachos with jicama and the mushroom soup and salad combo; for the cooked, we decided to try one of the specials - black-eyed peas and vegetable stew over quinoa with coconut cornbread. I'd like to get one more raw entrée but took advice from our waitress who thought it'd be enough food.

And it really was. The nachos came on a huge plate and, just like she said, the jicama kind of sat on our stomach and was quite filling. I liked it a lot - it was refreshing, much healthier and lighter than the traditional version, but I just wish there were more toppings. The soup and salad combo was very good too. The raw mushroom soup had an incredibly deep and robust flavor, which made me almost want to lick the bowl clean. The salad was a simple but nice and fresh-tasting kale salad. Now onto the minor downer - the cooked dish. Not that it was bad, but it was just so basic to the point where, I dare say, any home cook could easily whip it up. Totally not worth the $14 price tag. I thought it was a little flat as well. Maybe that's why it was served with hot sauce on the side. The cornbread was great, but sadly came as a tiny slice that was gone in about two bites. We also had the chocolate cookie dough cake for dessert. It was delicious, tasted as good as it looked.

All things considered, I'd say our evening was a more than passable experience. The food was healthy, wholesome, without any of that fake dairy/meat stuff. Service was prompt and very friendly. I genuinely believe that we'd have had a stellar meal if we had ordered all raw and avoided anything cooked. There's still so much on the menu I'd love to try. I'll definitely be back!

Pros: wholesome menu, good raw food
Cons: meh cooked options, stingy on certain things
AsYouWish
AsYouWish

Fantastic Vegan Restaurant

5 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2013

The food and service here are incredible! We had the Sun Nachos and the sliders, and both were fantastic. The server was very helpful too.

Pros: Great Food, Friendly Waitstaff, Good Selection
Cons: Not Much Parking
JesiDi
JesiDi
  • raw

Good

4 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2013

It takes a while to get your food once ordered, Everything is fresh and had lots of flavor. Great service, very friendly. Everything is vegan and they have raw options!! I love their caesar salad and raw tostada.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Fresh, great tasting food, raw options
Cons: Takes a while, Small portions, expensive
fafco
fafco

Amazing!

5 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2013

We just ate at SunCafe for the first time and we are already planning what to order when we return in a few days. It was absolutely awesome. The lentil soup and garlic bread were great starters. Quinoa risotto and supreme pizza were amazing entrees. We were too stuffed to eat our desserts, but ordered some to go. We have eaten in many of the country's best raw vegan restaurants, and this was right up there with the best of them. Maybe even number 1 on the list. Really fantastic food. And the service was second to none. Our waiter, Nevin, was extremely knowledgeable about the menu and the ingredients in every dish. He made excellent recommendations and the food came out promptly and was presented beautifully. Nevin was attentive and friendly and a real pleasure.

We can't wait to return.

Pros: Great Food, Great Service, Reasonable Prices
Leslie Durso
Leslie Durso

The Best!

5 Posted on 05 / 28 / 2013

It's a vegan (mostly raw) restaurant on Cahuenga Blvd. right before you get to "the valley". I bring a ton of people here and every time it gets rave reviews not just from my veggie friends, but from my meatie friends too. It not only has some of the most creative vegan food out there, but by far the tastiest! When you are preparing raw food you have to be so careful about the flavor combos; it's very easy to let one ingredient over power the rest and Sun Cafe creates flavor profiles that are virtually effortless. Now I've had just about everything on the menu so let me share some of the stars:
The Lettuce Leaf Tacos
The Mediterranean Pizza
The Raw Nachos
The Kale Shake
The Chocolate Cheesecake (not only the best raw dessert I've ever had, but the best dessert period.)

Chia
Chia

Good Food

5 Posted on 05 / 09 / 2013

Has first read about SunCafe on HappyCow years ago when it first opened and was called SunPower until 2011 it was re-named. Here's my SunCafe review.

It's a little restaurant cafe with yellow signage that's easy to spot from the road. We found parking in a side street around the corner from the restaurant. The interior of the restaurant is small, and the vibe is mellow.

My husband and I tried a wide range of their food and enjoyed most everything. The Sunburger that we had was delicious. The patty was thick and hearty with great texture and flavor, and not overly salted like other raw food burgers out there.

The pizza was amazing. Very original crust made from nuts and seeds. Could be a complete great tasting cracker/bread by itself.

The lettuce tacos were simple yet so incredibly tasty. We especially enjoyed them.

For the sweets, we both liked the green smoothie (kale and stuff) but we did not like the berry cheezcake because it was kinda mushy and a bit too sweet for us.

I would definitely return to try the other menu items the next time I'm in this area.

Pros: good food, healthy, smoothies
jel172
jel172

Good Brunch...

4 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2013

We ate brunch here a few weeks back and were very impressed. The Tofu Omelette was the closest I've had to a real omelette since giving up eggs.

The portions are a little bit smaller than you'd expect, but are probably correctly sized for healthy eating. Unlike the traditionally oversized American portions we've been eating for years...

Ready to go back and try one of their shakes or smoothies...

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff, Nice ambiance
Cons: Parking is bad on weekends
veganfoodie85
veganfoodie85

Mmmm Mmmm Good!

5 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2011

My boyfriend and I were in town from Fort Lauderdale, FL were delicious raw vegan food is scarce. Sun Cafe was a breath of fresh air!
Excellent service, generous portions and many options!
Try the creamy mushroom soup and the spicy nori roll.

Pros: Affordable, Friendly Staff, Cozy
Paulie10022
Paulie10022

Just amazing

5 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2011

On a recent trip to LA for a few days, I got to try several places, all of which I enjoyed, but SunCafe was hands down the best food I had on the whole trip and might be one of the best meals I've eaten in the past few years. If you're visiting LA as a tourist, it's a little off the beaten track of Hollywood/Santa Monica/downtown, but totally worth the drive.

The place itself is unremarkable on the outside, but clean, uncluttered and cute on the inside. Got a friendly welcome and good explanation of the different type of dishes they serve. Glad I decided to choose all raw for a change - I'm sure the cooked dishes are equally as good, but the 3 things I ate were outstanding - as good as or better than any raw food I've ever eaten. I started with Kale Colossus - a salad which included amongst other things, SunChorizo (a nut mixture), marinated mushrooms and banana. Banana in a salad - who'd have thought?

Followed that with a raw corn Tostada, with jicaama slaw, avocado and sunflower seed 'frijoles' to which they added vegan nacho cheese. It was quite rich, but you could have drunk the cheese out of shot glasses - delicious! Finished up on the staff's recommendation getting the Mint Shamrock Shake - spinach based, but which tasted like Mint Chocolate Chip.

The entire staff was incredibly friendly - including the kitchen staff (you have to go through the kitchen to get to the bathrooms), but I enjoyed seeing behind the scenes. Can't recommend this place highly enough and can't wait to go back.

Pros: Great variety of raw & cooked dishes, Very friendly staff, Fresh ingredients
Cons: None, OK - a little out of the way, but worth the trip!
Monique
Monique

Raw Vegan Nacho Cheese & More

5 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2011

Buy an entire cup of this. It will become the best food you have ever tasted.

Love the Lettuce Tacos, Kale Colossus, Cacao Superfood Shake, and Raw Nachos. Like the raw pizzas and the Raw Kelp Noodles with pesto sauce too.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday June 21, 2011
Updated from previous review on Tuesday June 21, 2011

Pros: Flavorful, Healthy , Friendly & comfortable
Cons: Not 100% raw vegan, Need more nut-free dishes, Closed Sundays (but everyone needs rest)
pupa
pupa

Hip Raw!

5 Posted on 06 / 14 / 2011

Little place hidden in the flashes of the busy street, but with amazing atmosphere. the inside looked cozy and worm, but we say outside because the weather was perfect. it's true that it took a bit longer for the server to attend, but we had all the time so it actually turned into nice relaxing lunch. Very friendly and knowledgeable staff! always a beautiful smile, friendly and casual, and she knew the menu back and forth. we wanted to have only raw so told us what are out options and made great suggestions!
the nachos with cheddar were amazing! fresh elegant with the right amount of spice, great texture and complexity of flavors!
the raw pesto pizza was out of this world! hands down the best raw dish i've ever had! from the crunchy and nutty crust to the earth and moist mushrooms! amazing!
i believe we had the raw cookie dough pie for dessert, we let the server surprise us, so i'm not 100% sure, but it was also great! how do you achieve this silky creamy texture!
big props to the whole stuff at SunCafe! we drove from Vegas to eat there and i have to tell you, i will be back hungry for more!

Pros: amazing food, great staff, atmosphere
Cons: none
RawLady
RawLady

Not Really Raw!!

2 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2011

Service is sketchy like the food. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's too rich, sometimes it's too sweet, they don't seem to get it quite right. And the prices are sky high. Granted it will be more cos it's supposed to be raw but you end up spending a whole lot more for a little lot less food that isn't even all raw. We left hungry and spent over $60.00 for lunch not including tax. Not something most people can afford or should pay for a decent lunch. And please can we stop pretending that nuts and seeds, agave, shredded coconut, etc are really raw? These days most of these items are not raw even if they say they are. It's too hard to find and too expensive for restaurants to use. Maybe that's why I see so many raw fooders gaining weight. Really deceiving.

Rob H.
Rob H.
  • raw

Way better than Travolta's five dollar shake

4 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2010

Don't know anything about the rest of the food but remmember the five dollar milk shake that Travolta ordered in the movie Pulp Fiction because he was curious if it could really be worh the cost?
Well Sun Power has a seven dollar raw chocolate shake and it is worth it! I've driven out of my way twice just to get one and you can't put a price limit on something that good.

InbalSara
InbalSara

Raw Deliciousness

5 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2010

I just visited SunPower Cafe for the first time. I have eaten at several raw food spots and this one is one of the best! The service was good, and everything we ordered was delicious! I went with a meat eater and he was incredibly impressed with the food.

We got the nachos, the raw supreme pizza, the sweet kale shake, and the coconut butter pecan cheesecake. Everything was so tasty! The pizza is a must-have, and the desert was so rich and yummy!

Its a bit pricey, as most raw food is, but it is totally worth it! The atmosphere is pretty good despite being right on a busy street, and the service was great. I definitely recommend trying it!

Pros: Delicious, Friendly Staff, Healthy
Cons: Pricey
Colinski
Colinski

Surprisingly good

4 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2010

Having had a very bad experience with Leaf, I was apprehensive about trying another raw joint, but SunPower came highly recommended and now I know why. I have eaten there twice now, and the food is excellent. The sandwiches are fantastic, as is the kale salad. I need to go back there so I then have an excuse to go to Kind Kreme for dessert! ;)

Pros: Delicious, Healthy
goldie711
goldie711

Very good

4 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2010

Recently I had lunch at Sunpower. I think if you are a rawfoodist or experienced in raw food, you will appreciate the menu. I had a burger and kale salad both were very good but a teeny bit bland. I wish they jazzed it up a bit. The staff was sensational. Next time I think I'll try the pizza.

Pros: staff, fresh ingredients
Cons: parking
oceanview
oceanview

Raw Goodness

5 Posted on 12 / 09 / 2009

Great Chef. Really nice place. I tasted a bit of everything and it was all so yummy. The have their cookies at Whole Foods. -Sooo Good.

• Chia Chia

Hey, I hear that Rawsheed, who's left SunPower, will be opening a new restaurant soon, so stay tuned!

VeggieHeather
VeggieHeather

amazing!

5 Posted on 10 / 18 / 2009

I just discovered them a week ago and I've already been back once for more!!!

The kale shake is surprisingly delicious. I've had the pumpkin soup, asian salad, and curry sandwich, and these have all been terrific.

One of my new favorites.

Pros: food is great, good place to take non-vegans
Cons: parking is tough
quarrygirl
quarrygirl

the best vegan restaurant in studio city!

4 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2009

i've only been to sunpower once, on opening day, and already they were serving up incredible food.

i ordered the seitan salad sandwich, which was basically like an old-fashioned tuna sandwich made with seitan instead of fish, and sunpower really nailed it. the seitan was top notch, the vegenaise was creamy, and the chopped vegetables were fresh and flavorful but not overwhelming.

the sandwich came with "choice of side dish" and i went with the pita and hummus, which i loved. other options included coleslaw, cookies, vegetables with dipping sauce, and kale.

for dessert, my friend and i split a slice of the special of the day "cacao cheesecake". the thing was so rich and dense, it was hard to eat with a plastic fork! this cheesecake probably could be a meal on its own, it was so decadent. even though it was a little hard to eat, it was delicious and well worth it. definitely don't leave without trying dessert.

sunpower is officially a 'take out' restaurant...so while they have tables, your food is served in to-go containers and you pay at the counter. the service is great and the meals come out super fast. this is an excellent choice if you are in a hurry. also, the staff and ownership are pretty passionate about veganism.

Pros: great food, all vegan, friendly staff
Cons: expensive, take-out, street parking
  • Chia Chia

Eatin Vegan
Eatin Vegan

"Raw Fusion", totally delicious, all Vegan, WOW!

5 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2009

The best way I can describe this restaurant's food is:
Raw Fusion.

Here's why:

If you are a devoted raw foodie, this place will humble your previous thoughts about just how good raw food can be.

If you are like me, you usually only eat raw when dining out with raw friends.

Sunpower Natural has the best of both worlds, with mostly raw healthy items (that don't always taste raw) and things like fluffy wheat buns for my burger because raw bread/crackers for sandwiches aren't my thing.
(Of course they have all raw pizzas/sandwiches/salads with the homemade raw bread/crackers for those of you that love it.)

I had a torta sandwich with a really nice patty that was gently spiced and had a nice firm texture. (Not a mushy, wet, patty that smooshes out the bun with your first bite...) It had pico de gallo, avocado, and a lot more I don't remember, but it was GOOD.

I also had some raw coleslaw that was so much better than a veganaise covered version. It had thicker than normal chunks of cabbage, and a nice ranch/mayo type raw dressing that really went well with the cabbage.

Finally something I thought I'd never like... I loved! A raw cashew shake/smoothie with raw kale in it. It looked like the color of pistachio ice cream, and tasted just as good!!! More like a dessert... try it!

It's a small place with just a few tables, but the staff and food totally make up for any negatives there.

Parking can be hard, but loop around and you'll probably get a metered spot.

Totally worth a try, even for those who aren't into raw food. Try it and you'll see.

Pros: Amazing homemade foods, Reasonable prices, Unique and Healthy
Cons: Parking, Only 8 tables
Hugo
Hugo

Great new Organic/Vegan/RAW dinning experience!

4 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2009

I first had the 'Raw Supreme Pizza'. It was really delicious. It is four Raw diminuative pizza slices. But it being a Raw dish, easily satiated my appetite. To drink, I had the 'Cacao SuperfoodShake' which was also delish! The Shake was thick, creamy, chocolaty, nutty, Raw, and yummy! A meal in a cup! My second entree was the 'SunPower Burger'. The burger was also very delicious and Raw! It had an amazing cashew-based 'special sauce' which tasted like the best mayonnaise. I also had the Fresh organic lemonade with agave which was very refreshing! The dinning room is on the small side containing three or four tables if I remember correctly. There is a wide and cozy bench that runs the length of the dinning room adorned with plush pillows. The decor is nice, warm, and simple. The location of SunPwer Cafe is literaly right off of the Universal City/Cahuenga Blvd exit on the 101 freeway. By the way, most of the menu is Raw, which is a boon! Will definetly return to try their other dishes! Nice job Rawsheed!

Pros: WOW Raw burgers!, Superb Raw Pizza!, Convenience (right off the freeway exit)
Cons: All dishes served in to-go containers, Dinning rm. a bit small, Metered street parking

Dear Owner and Manager of SunCafe: