Serves meat, veg options available. The owner is a vegan, and kitchen keeps on hand vegan salad dressings, vegan pepperoni and sausage as well as tempeh, vegan chicken, vegan eggplant parmesam, soy cheese and Daiya cheese. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Delivery, Non-veg
2299 Pearl St Ste B
Boulder, Colorado 80302
303-938-1128

Call for hours - tell us

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by CherylLynne
fondducoeur
fondducoeur

Fabulous Vegan Options, including Vegan Calzones

4 Posted on 07 / 06 / 2013

While visiting Boulder my husband and I stopped into Sun Deli for lunch and were not disappointed. There are loads of vegan options. The special was a steak sub and a drink for 7.99, which we had every intention of getting (nearly the whole list of steak subs could be made vegan), but we decided we couldn't pass up vegan calzones. It was a good decision. They come with both Daiya Mozzarella, almond ricotta, and sauce, I added house-made seitan-roni and mushrooms. It was so much food and absolutely delicious. We also split vegan breadsticks w/Daiya. With 2 calzones and the bread sticks, we had plenty leftover for a later meal. In addition to vegan pizza, subs, calzones, and cheese garlic bread, they offer hemp ice cream, cocomel caramels, bags of nutritional yeast/spiced popcorn, etc. This place had some of the best vegan options at a non-vegan establishment that I have seen. It will be a must-visit the next time I come to Boulder.

Pros: Vegan Calzones, Vegan Pizza by the Slice, Many vegan faux meats/cheeses
Cons: Sticky tables
Michael X. James
Michael X. James

Love it!

4 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2012

Go there on Saturday before 5 PM for Vegan Saturday and get $ off your vegan pizza. The food is great and pretty reasonably priced. A good variety of vegan food to choose from. Open 7 days a week and pretty late. They are connected to a liquor store and they deliver pretty much anything they sell (which strangely includes firewood). Good stuff!

BlissingOut
BlissingOut

Love It

4 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2011

Read the other reviews b/c I'm lazy. But its VERY vegi/vegan friendly AND really good. My bf eats meat and still loves the seitan cheese-stake as much as I do, and the pizza is awesome

Plus every salad dressing on the menu is homemade and vegan. First Caesar salad I've eaten in 9 years, mmmm

Pros: Awesome food, Comfy atmosphere, VERY knowledgable staff
Cons: Sometimes slow service

Gabe
Gabe

one of the most vegan friendly places in town

4 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2011

I can't believe I went all this time having no idea there was a place with vegan pizza in Boulder. And not some weird-ass artsy vegan pizza, just something resembling good old-fashioned east coast style pizza but with Daiya and seitan pepperoni. The stromboli and buffalo chicken roll were great too (I think Gardein chicken breast tastes a bit weird on its own, but it's good with buffalo sauce and vegan ranch) At least half the menu can be made vegan (all of these items are clearly marked) and tastes good enough that it would probably fool a lot of people if you never told them it wasn't 'real' meat and cheese. They also have a 'Vegan Saturday' special where everything vegan is $2 off before 5pm, or $4 for large vegan pizzas. The only drawback of this place is I'll probably eat here all the time and be a fatass.

Pros: great vegan pizza/calzones/etc, friendly staff, delivery
Cons: a tiny bit pricy, probably fairly fattening, addictive
  • Gabe Gabe

If you're vegan, stick to the pizzas/calzones/rolls, the vegan sandwiches are not as good.

veggoodness
veggoodness

Very vegan friendly pizza and more

4 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2010

If you miss having a casual pizza place or delivery pizza, this is the place for you! Last time I checked, they had 3 vegan cheeses to choose from - Follow Your Heart soy cheese, Daiya, and their own homemade vegan ricotta - though I think they were considering dropping the Follow Your Heart because most people seem to prefer Daiya.

I always get one of their calzones with lots of veggies and the homemade vegan seitan pepperoni. Delish! It's great for lunch or take-out, though the other reviewers are correct that sometimes the food can take a good while to prepare, especially if you're getting something that needs to be baked like pizza or a calzone. The sandwiches (also delicious) are quicker.

The owners and workers are very vegan friendly and knowledgeable...you don't have to worry about stray animal products here!

One of the owners also has a dog that hangs around on the premises, and they're very dog-friendly. The outdoor patio seating is also a plus if you have rambunctious kids with you.

One note of caution - the bathroom is decorated with a mosaic of broken mirror shards that could conceivably cut a person, so it's probably not the best for solo young kids, drunk people stumbling around, or suicidal people.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Dog-friendly!, Convenience store snack options
Cons: Workers are sometimes baked, Can take a while to get food, A little grimy
VeganNinja
VeganNinja

This Was AMAZING!

4 Posted on 04 / 14 / 2010

I ate here for the first time on 4/10/10 and I was so impressed! There are so many vegan options on the menu and Sun Deli utilizes Diaya vegan cheese. I ordered the Buffalo Chicken Roll which is kind of like a calzone but rolled instead of folded. When it was delivered the presentation was stunning and I was immediately happy with my choice. My dish was extremely flavorful with a nice kick from the buffalo sauce and came with a side of homemade pasta sauce and vegan ranch dressing. The portion size was huge and I received a discount because we went on "Vegan Saturday". I have nothing bad to say about this place... it's even attached to its own liquor store and delivers food and booze to folks in Boulder. We're driving up from Denver again soon because we loved this place so much!

Pros: Cheap for Large Portions, Amazing Food, Very Friendly Staff
Cons: NONE!
Zegan
Zegan

Awesome pizza and calzones

4 Posted on 11 / 23 / 2009

The vegan pizza and calzones are really terrific at Sun Deli. I love the fact that they are so supportive of folks wanting something a little different (i.e., vegan). That support goes so far as their making their own delicious veg pepperoni and a really unique and tasty almond-based ricotta-ish cheeze. Highly recommended.

Pros: great pizza/calzones, funky atmosphere, pro-veg staff/chef
Cons: a little pricey, food can take a long time to prep
ladenedge
ladenedge

Increasingly vegan-friendly

4 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2009

Okay, so the pizza here is terrific, for a couple of reasons. First of all, they've figured out Follow Your Heart. Perhaps you've had the experience at home where you make your own pizza and, in cooking it, find that the cheese hasn't melted by the time the crust begins to burn? (This happens to me all the time..) Well, Sun Deli gets it right. The crust is good enough to eat by itself, and the cheese is perfect, every time.

That's to say nothing of the great stuff you can get *on* the damn things. Two noteworthy examples: they have a mouth-watering "white" pizza, and a home-made vegan pepperoni. And if pizza sounds like a little too much, try the "veggie roll" or a calzone.

Past the food, they have a very cool environment where you can enjoy it. It's not by any means a high-end joint, but neither is it trashy or unwelcoming. Instead, high-backed boothes and personal TVs (which may be turned up or off, as you like it) provide a unique sense of privacy.

Add to this an owner and a chef who are happy to chat about vegan issues or their plans for the next vegan item to go on their menu, a healthy respect for the local vegan community and reasonable prices (especially on Saturday!), and you've got the makings of a great place to eat! I daresay it'd be perfect if only there were enough vegans about to keep them afloat without the non-vegan menu items.

Pros: Superb vegan pizza, Vegan-friendly plans for the future, Cool environment
Cons: Many meat items still on the menu
Munchi-chi
Munchi-chi

Pizza Heaven

4 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2009

They use Follow Your Heart vegan moz and make their own vegan almond ricotta. Every Saturday is Vegan Saturday where every vegan pizza is discounted $4! Sun Deli is involving themselves w/ the vegan community too by hosting vegan buffets at times. If you like east coast pizza, then Sun Deli will have you salivating for more!

Pros: pizza, pizza, pizza
CherylLynne
CherylLynne

Really great vegan delivery

4 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2009

Sun Deli got me though many study nights!! It's just regular pizza. You can get vegan soy cheese on just about anything. I think I made sure garlic breads and things were vegan, but the staff is super nice. Now they just to open a branch in Longmont!

Pros: fast friendly service, knowledgeable staff, great food

Dear Owner and Manager of Sun Deli: