Serves meat, veg options available. Small cafe near the corner next to a noodle shop (easy to miss). Set menu for around 1000 yen comes in several courses, with vegetable gelees, fried tofu/veggie burger steak, rice, curry soup. Vegans ask to leave out butter. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Japanese, Fusion, Non-veg
2 blocks North of station
Takayama, Japan

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by otherside27

Lovely Curry

3 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2012

We found that the people at this restaurant had a good understanding for Vegetarian food, they even asked whether we were ok with egg or would prefer to have it removed. As far as we could tell from the menu there is just the one veggie option of vegetable curry.
The curry was a traditional Japanese katsu type curry with a mixture of veg, mainly mushrooms. The price was reasonable, our meal came to 2600 yen, including two beers.

Pros: Price , Friendly staff, clean
Cons: Variety

Sun Art has changed again ...

2 Posted on 04 / 14 / 2012

Since the last review Sun Art uses katsuo in their miso and the only vegan item on the menu is curry soup. I was quite disappointed.
At last least the curry rice was delicious but it would have been better with genmai rather than white rice.
My vegetarian friend enjoyed the omelet and rice.
All in all, it wasn't bad I was just expecting more.

Sun Art - Bigger, better, friendlier!

4 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2011

Wow-ee has Sun Art changed since 2 years ago I first ate their delicious curry (after requesting it without milk!) choc-full of spicy veg! Last year, I found they had expanded two-fold and even had a stage! They also had a larger menu, even one in pretty good english! My set lunch came with miso soup, which was made especially vegan and I had a special sweet and sour style vegetable platter with rice (brown!!) and various other items, such as fried potato and pickles; a little bit of everything! My friend had toast (being non-vegan and not particularly hungry!). The part that made it really special for me was when I talked to the lady working there, and said how I visited the previous year and she gave me and my friend gifts of hand-made keyrings that are one of the many craft items they also sell at the restaurant. All in all, one of the friendliest places I have been, recommended!

Pros: Friendly staff, Willingness to change/make foods vegan, Arty atmosphere
Cons: Out-of-the-way location

Dear Owner and Manager of Sun Art Takayama: