Sultan's Market - Wicker Park

Serves meat, veg options available. Has vegan items marked on menu, including a falafel sandwich, vegan spinach pie, hummus, and baklava. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Middle Eastern, Non-veg

First Review by SynthVegan
happycowgirl
happycowgirl

Awesome, Fast and Cheap Mediterranean Food

4 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2011

The restaurant is on North Ave just west of the North, Damen & Milwaukee intersection. Damen Blue Line stop. Good luck finding street parking, you won't.

You walk in and there are about 8 booths along the windows - 4 on each side. There is more limited seating and a salad bar in the middle of the restaurant. In the back of the restaurant is where you line up and order your falafel, hummus, etc cafeteria-style. The cash register to pay is also back there in the corner.

Their falafel sandwich is out of this world. Hummus and baba ganoush are outstanding. The good news is they are *fast*. The bad news is they are not that friendly, just all business. It does not have a welcoming feeling to it. It has a "just order your food already and get the heck out" vibe.

Updated from previous review on Monday December 01, 2008

Pros: close to Blue Line 'L' (Damen stop), fast service, incredible food
Cons: no parking, not overly friendly
Jenny Dean
Jenny Dean
  • non-vegetarian

Sultan's Market

1 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2010

I do like the falafel sandwich & lentil soup, I've been a regular there...until now.
Today I ordered exactly $5.50 worth of food and was charged over $8.00. I showed the woman behind the cash register, went over each item & showed her the menu prices but she wouldn't budge and was rude. I ordered: 2 pieces of falafel, .50 X 2 = $1; 1 zatter bread .50; 1 spinach pie $2, 1 side of hummus from the "extras" section for .50. For the 2 pieces of falafel and the spoonful of hummus, both from the "extras menu" and both of which I ordered saying the prices & pointing at the wall menu while ordering (I wanted to be sure to not get full orders, just sides). That's what the hard-working guy gave me...a spoonful of hummus and 2 falafels in a little container. The owner said, "he gave you the same as a falafel sandwich" which was incredibly far from the truth. The falafel sandwiches are large and full of ingredients.
The $3 aside, who really cares, but he nastiness and refusal to budge & refusal to give me a receipt (I've seen her refuse to give receipts before to people in front of me) is what made me angry.
Oh, the zatter bread was stale, The place was really filthy --hot sauce and tahini sauce smeared on the counters, garbage all over. The staff seem kind. After several trips there I've decided the owner is nasty and the place too filthy.
Farewell, yummy falafel sandwich.

Pros: Falafel, price
Cons: dirty
katie_b
katie_b

awesome

4 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2009

Sultan's has the BEST falafels in Chicago!! They serve meet-so that blows...but they offer a ton of vegetarian stuff...all of which is great, they even have a salad bar now...the only bad thing is you have to go to lincoln park...urrrr i mean wicker park(same diffrence now) to go there. One of the most impressive things is they have not raised their prices and easily could. A falafel sandwich is only $3!!! ooooooooo & they have outdoor seating in the summer!!

Pros: delicious, cheap, fresh
Cons: none, sometimes there is a line, which will move ridiculously fast

yourfacehxc
yourfacehxc

A deal, a steal.

4 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2008

First things first. If you love middle-eastern food that is unbelievable, inexpensive, and um, well, better than most of the food I had when I was in the middle-east, look no further. Everyone knows this place rules. Now you do too. The only downside is the unfriendly staff who barely even look at you. Good thing you just order and pay at the counter. Regardless, this is one of my favorite restaurants and can be cheaper than eating at home. I highly recommend the falafel sandwich, egg + cheese pie, and the marinated brussel sprouts located at the salad bar (believe me on this one). Best middle-eastern in Chicago.

Pros: Cheap!, Delicious!
Cons: UNFRIENDLY STAFF!
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

YUM-alicious!!!

4 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2008

Sultan's market is a great restaurant! You've got to love when they designate on the menu board if something is Vegan or not. Every item that is Vegan has a big green "V" next to it. And to my surprise, there were PLENTY of Vegan items for me to choose from. I got the falafel sandwich, spinach pie, and hummus. All of them were very good, but I will have to say, Sultan's has the best hummus I've ever had, and I can't wait to buy some more! I also like this restaurant because it's not the typical sit-down restaurant - I did see they have a buffet type area, and I ordered my food from the counter. Overall the employees were very nice and I can't wait to eat here again!!!

[I give this place 5 cows!!!] ;)

Dear Owner and Manager of Sultan's Market - Wicker Park: