Also known as Vegetarian Tiger, this restaurant is situated close to the east gate of Beijing University- take a bus (355) and go about 3 bus-stops to arrive at this place. It can get very crowded during lunch and dinner as neighbors and students seem to like it. Try the blueberry yam. Serves Chinese vegan egg tarts and baked vegan dim sum. Mock meat and fake fish goes well with fried mushroom tempura a.s.o. You can see the kitchen through a window and watch them prepare you food, but also sit in a family room eating with your friends. check their website, if you're able to read Chinese to make a reservation or see their menu. Wah Yuen century two-story commercial building southeast. Chinese Name: 素虎素餐 Chinese Address: 海淀区双清路88号华源写字楼东南侧2楼203号. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Chinese
203, Southeast Huayuan Office Building, 88, Shuangqing Rd, Haidian District
Beijing, China
86-010-82527078

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by ada-nina
kzollman
kzollman

Wonderful, especially the fish

5 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2014

This place, along with the other vegetarian restaurant near Tsinghua University, was one of the best vegetarian restaurants I've even eaten at. The food was wonderful, the menu diverse, and everything was well prepared. Like almost all restaurants in Beijing, the menu had both pictures and English so it was easy to choose.

The best dish I had there was a vegetarian fish cooked in a large tray and brought to the table. I didn't write down the name, unfortunately. I was truly amazed by how they were able to replicate the texture of fish, including the skin.

The restaurant is a little tricky to find. It is in the back of a large building which (in 2014) contained many restaurants including a club and a Pizza Hut (forgive me, the logo is easily recognizable to Americans). There is a green unlit sign with both Chinese and English that points the way, but you need to look for it.

Pros: Delicious food, Diverse menu
Cons: Hard to find
kim2121
kim2121

Love Love Love

5 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2014

I love love love this restaurant. It is a bit hard to find but they've put up signs around the building to lead you toward the entrance. Other reviewers are correct in pointing out the restaurant is close to Tsinghua, not Bei Da. In any event, this restaurant is worth the search!

Every time I go I order the mock Peking Duck and some fake meat skewers with a curry sauce on them (sorry I don't know the name I just remember the photo). I also get the hand rolls stuffed with veggies. This past time we ordered the imitation sushi, which was fun to try but I probably won't order it again because there's just too many other delicious dishes I want to order!

All my meat-eating friends love this place, and it's often packed with locals too. This is honestly one of my favorite restaurants in the world, and the most amazing thing is that the prices are very reasonable. Definitely go if you are in the neighborhood!

Pros: Amazing Food, Great Value, Nice Atmosphere
Cons: Hard to find, but well worth the search!
Minni
Minni

Nice place

5 Posted on 02 / 25 / 2014

The restaurant isn't close to the Beida (Beijing University) east gate, it's in fact close to the Tsinghua University east gate. Closest subway is Wudaokou.

I went to this restaurant with my family and found that it was nice, clean, and the atmosphere was bustling at lunch time. The best thing about it is, on top of being vegan, that it's very affordable. Our 5-course meal with desserts for all and a slightly strange blueberry smoothie for me, was less than 300 RMB. Good value for money! The dessert vegan tiramisu people keep raving about is good, but it's not really tiramisu. ;) A nice dessert anyway! I was looking forward to trying the "egg" tarts but they didn't have them at the time. I have to return to try them and other dishes!

UPDATE: I went here a couple of weeks ago and noted that they have added some cheese dishes to their menu. They make their own mock-cheese. And those dishes are amazing!! Do try them! And don't worry, it's all vegan :) Love this place more and more each time.

Updated from previous review on Saturday June 08, 2013

Pros: vegan, very affordable, clean environment

anubhav
anubhav

Fantastic meal

5 Posted on 01 / 21 / 2014

This is a great find in a hard to be vegetarian place like Beijing. Not only is the menu in english, it is expansive.. really it is.

People have trouble finding it so here is a google maps short code that should help you find it easily. The staircase to the restaurant is located at the back of the building, diagonally opposite side of the KFC in this strip mall.

If the wenjin hotel is on your left, take the left after crossing the wenjin hotel and then right on the diagonal road. Or get off at wenjin and walk. Its just a 5-10min walk.

Do go.

Pros: English menu, friendly staff, Big portions & Cheap
soph
soph

Delicious

4 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2013

This was my first vegan restaurant in Beijing, and I was very happy with the food. The poor taxi driver had a really hard time finding it though! But it really does exist, and it seems to be doing fine with business. I went there for dinner, and this place was very very crowded with locals. The servers don't speak much English, but the menu has English on it. The menu is very big! They give you some free appetizers and tea while you are waiting for your food.

Pros: Very tasty, Reasonable prices, big menu
bluepaper
bluepaper

best vegan chinese restaurant

5 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2013

Suhu is a really great restaurant. The atmosphere is exalted, but comfy.
They didn't offer all dishes that were mentioned in the menu card, but there still was a huge choice.
I was completely thrilled about the dumplings - the first that only had vegetable; very delicious.
We also ordered the fake fish - it actually was meant as a joke, but turned out to be very good!
And we can also recommend the ice-crushed-red-bean-"smoothie"
I will definitely come back; it's not too expensive and one of my favourite restaurants.

Pros: chinese food, not too hard to find - there are signs, prices are moderate
nlapidot3
nlapidot3
  • non-vegetarian

Soul-enhancingly fantastic

5 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2013

This is legitimately one of the best restaurants I ever ate at, and I'm not even a vegetarian or a vegan. The service is good, the food is excellent, and the owner has a sweet goatee. I'm a repeat customer in this restaurant and have taken several non-vegan/vegetarian friends who have all also greatly enjoyed it. Don't forget to get their repeat customer cards! 3 stamps and you receive a pair of chopsticks; 6 stamps and you become a member (lower prices). Highly recommended!

Pros: friendly staff, delicious food, CHEAP
Cons: No tiger meat, The tone-deaf unicorns cannot sing, owner won't let me touch his goatee
reflecte
reflecte

Best Food I've Had in Beijing

5 Posted on 12 / 26 / 2012

This restaurant is amazing... the servers are all really courteous and nice (they gave us a bow when we left, were super helpful when we had special accommodations, even made a dish that was off the menu). The food is also super delicious. Suhu has a good assortment of both veggie meat dishes and vegetable dishes and is very clean, refined and reasonably priced. I brought my non-vegetarian here and each time they got just as obsessed with the place as I was. They give you fruit, a small appetizer at the beginning and also tea. My average expense per visit is about.. 45-50 rmb and that is when we order a bit more than needed 5 dishes for 4 people or 4 for 3.

Very pleasantly surprised at how good this restaurant is.. I completely recommend it. It is right next to Tsinghua's East Gate (if you are standing there looking towards Wudaokou, it will be on your left in the plaza with KFC and a karaoke. The location is a bit hard to find because it is not in the front but you have to walk around the left side to the back of the complex where there is a flight of stairs lit with soft green lights. It looks a bit shady but trust me, the inside is very pleasant and totally fine!

Pros: Excellent Food, Good Value, Friendly Staff
Cons: Location hard to find
psiphi75
psiphi75

To die for

5 Posted on 11 / 23 / 2012

This is an excellent restaurant.  It is our favourite restaurant in our 3 weeks travelling here.  While in Beijing we have visited it 3 times, even though it is on the other side of town.  The food is very well presented and really tasty.

We highly recommend the vegan Tiramisu, it is to die for.  The yam and blueberry is very filling but very good.  The steamed buns are also good, different than any of the other steam buns we encountered during China.  The Banana Iced Coffee was excellent the first time we tried it, but the second time it was a let down.

The service was also top class.  Like in many Chinese restaurants the waitresses would stand by ready to be of assistance at any time.  Although virtually no English was spoken we pointed at the menu and used our hands to order the meal.

Pros: excellent food, great service
Bob Sultan
Bob Sultan

A Real Find!

5 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2012

I have eaten here twice now and both meals were truly excellent. The first time I had the Beijing Duck. Moist inside, crispy outside... enough food for two people. The second time I had a dish that had the word 'grandmother' in it (sorry, I forgot complete name). This was great. mock meat stuffed with veggies, topped with sauce and green beans. Really a cut above other vegetarian restaurants I have been to in Beijing. If you go six times you can get a VIP card which entitles you to discount prices (or ask and you might get it sooner). Dishes are mostly between 30 and 50 RMB. Ambiance is upscale (at downscale prices). There has been some discussion about whether the restaurant is near the "East Gate of Beijing University". It is near a university gate, but I believe this is the gate to Tsinghua University. Anyway, it is near the Wudaokou metro station. If you see a sign outside the building (at the third floor level) that says "Vege Tiger Vegetarian Restaurant" then you are on the wrong side of the building. Walk around the building. You will end up on a street with a dead end and you will see the entrance on your right.

Pros: gourmet vege food, nice ambiance, reasonable prices
mikethevegan
mikethevegan

Superior vegan food

5 Posted on 08 / 31 / 2012

It took me nearly half an hour of wandering around to find this place, but it was worth it. It's not hidden, but it's tucked away on the top floor of a sort of a mini-mall, with the entrance around back in a slightly sketchy alleyway. The restaurant itself is definitely not sketchy. It's actually a tiny bit posh. The menu is extensive, the servers attentive, the presentation very pleasant, and the food delicious. Expect to be slightly overwhelmed with choices. I have been there twice. I had the kim chi soup the first time and it was so good that I had it again the second time. The portion sizes are very large, so order conservatively. One dish is plenty for one person, even without rice. The soups are quite large.

My only complaint is that I had trouble both times making myself understood in either English or my limited Mandarin. I can get by in Mandarin in other places, but I really struggled here. Still, that wouldn't--and didn't--stop me from going back. The picture menu with English titles makes it possible to get by with pointing.

Pros: Large selection, Very tasty, Huge portions
Cons: Hard to find, Little English spoken
Pitaya
Pitaya

Vege tiger vege food is other name of this place

4 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2012

We went to this restaurant last Sunday and it was a very nice experience. Restaurant is situated quite close to Wudaokou subway station in second floor of a bigger restaurant complex. Restaurant is quite big, beautiful and clean Chinese style restaurant and it was full of Chinese people enjoying Sunday lunch. So it seems to be really popular among local people.

Menu is huge, full of different Chinese dishes and lots of vegetarian varieties of traditional fish and meat dishes. Menu has both photos and English names for the dishes, but sometimes they don't tell you so much as they are just translations of traditional Chinese names of the dishes, but photos help.

We ordered vinegar noodles with coriander and peanuts, dumplings, vegetarian mapo tofu and rice. All the food was tasty. But mapo doufu was almost too salty even though we like salty food. These 3 dishes were more than enough for 2 persons and we took rest of the food with us. Total price for all of this was 67 yuans. So the place is really cheap. Service was nice.

They also sell some vegetarian food items in this restaurant and this was in fact the first place in Beijing where I found textured soy protein products like soy flakes and soy chunks.

Pros: Large and local menu, Cheap, Nice interior
Cons: Some dishes extra salty
xfjtjl
xfjtjl

New executive lunch set meal.

5 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2011

Tried twice, the new executive lunch set meal. Set lunch price at RMB10, RMB20, RMB30. Very value for money and a healthy combination of soup, fruits, cold dish, main course and rice. A must to try.

Pros: healthy combination set meal, no smoking, very reasonable price
Cons: far from city center, no branches
ada-nina
ada-nina

nice restaurant!

4 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2011

I went to SUHU restaurant today, I tried the eggplant with brown rice and flower tea and everything was very good.
But the restaurant isn't really situated near East Gate of Beijing University. You HAVE to take a bus from East Gate (for example 355). I thought it was near East Gate and spent 3 hours looking for it:/

Dear Owner and Manager of SUHU - Vegetarian Tiger: