Serves meat, veg options available. Vegetarian options are clearly marked on the menu. Serves a vegetarian version of the national dish - Amok. May have little or no vegan option. Vegans please confirm if options are offered and inform HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Khmer, Non-veg
Ta Phul Rd. (location 400m south of the Caltex gas station)
Siem Reap, Cambodia

gourmetvege
gourmetvege

No Vege Food

Posted on 09 / 07 / 2011

We recently went to this restaurant and specified to the waiting staff that we did not eat any meat, fish or seafood. Altough the menu indicates various vegetarian options, the waiting staff informed us that all of those items had either some fish or seafood content, e.g., fish salt, and that the only thing that was guaranteed to be without fish or seafood was boiled rice! We had to leave the restaurant without ordering.

Pros: Good Location, Pleasant atmosphere
Cons: No true vegetarian food
earthville
earthville

Flavorful, but Chamkar is equally good and all veg

Posted on 01 / 29 / 2011

The Sugar Palm was recommended to me and my (omnivorous) father, so i got to sample four of their veggie dishes. All were well prepared, with above-average flavor.

Were it not for the existence of Chamkar, I might have been inclined to recommend Sugar Palm for mixed groups of herbivores and carnivores, but i think Chamkar is every bit as tasty, and a bit more creative, and my (omnivorous) father loved Chamkar too, so i don't see much reason to recommend Sugar Palm unless someone in your party simply doesn't want to eat at a (great) vegetarian restaurant. If someone you're eating with insists on having meat, then Sugar Palm would indeed be a good bet.

By the way, the information in the main description (as of Jan 29, 2011) is incorrect: Chamkar also serves vegetarian amok (and it's delicious), so Sugar Palm is not the only place in town that does so. (This mistake may have been deleted by the time you read this.)

Pros: Well-prepared food
Cons: Serves meat
VeganChu
VeganChu

Amazing!

Posted on 09 / 04 / 2010

I went here with my mother and we were just in heaven!!

We had the grilled tofu with peanut sauce to start and it was SO delicious!
Then we shared a soup and a curry (can't remember which - sorry) but I do know that it was all exceptionally well flavoured and I could eat there everyday!
It is not expensive considering how great it is.
When we went for lunch (in rainy season) it was pretty empty as not many tourists this time of year but apparently busy in high-season.

It's not hard to find - just look in one of the tourist maps / D+D guide which you can get free anywhere!

Go taste it!!

Pros: Absolutely stunning food, Tofu Satay!! , Friendly

veglover
veglover

Best Khmer Food In Town

Posted on 04 / 02 / 2010

You must have reservations for dinner at the Sugar Palm, and there's a reason for that. It's almost always packed. The food is traditional Khmer, and it is recognized by locals as the best in town. The herbs and spices are masterful. I had the Amok, and I wish I could have it forever more, even now that I am home. My friend and I didn't even talk through dinner, because we were so busy eating. All you could hear us saying was, "mmmmmmm... yummmm.... pass the bowl..." Sugar Palm is well worth a visit - don't miss it. And the "medium price" designation is in relation to other restaurants in town. In America it would be considered extremely inexpensive.

Pros: Amazingly good food, Open air dining, Many Veg Options
Cons: Only fruit for dessert
enRoute
enRoute

Amazing Amok

Posted on 11 / 03 / 2009

I sought this place out specifically for the Amok mentioned on HappyCow and it was worth it... asked specifically for no eggs and they were happy to accommodate. A bit tough to find and describing it as "400m south of Caltex" is a bit confusing, it's basically behind Mekong Angkor Palace hotel. Recommended.

Dear Owner and Manager of Sugar Palm: