Sugar and Spice

Beverley's first vegetarian cafe and coffee shop. Serves a range of paninis, salads, in-house-made soups and hot dishes, with vegan options. Also has a variety of cakes, with at least one vegan and one gluten free each day. Carries Langlands' scones. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, English, Bakery

First Review by RachelHeale
soyacat
soyacat

Nice, bargain Café! So many vegan cakes!

4 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2013

Discovered to my surprise and delight that there was a veggie café in Beverley, so obviously I had to try it on my next visit there! It is on the quieter stretch of Lairgate so less obvious if you didn't know it existed. The décor is bright, light and airy, with lovely stars hanging across the window. It was very clean and staff were helpful. The sandwiches are incredibly cheap for Beverley. They are not the best I've had, but nice enough for the price (£2.25!!!) There are several vegan options, such as hummus and carrot and salad or guacamole and the coffee and cake after were fab! They had many vegan cakes, and two gluten free! I had the spiced pear cake- it was delicious! However, it would be even better if they served cream or ice cream with the cakes as personally I find cake dry on its own. However, I will definitely be returning.

Pros: Lots of choice for vegans, Great cakes, Low prices
Cons: Not open evenings/Sundays., Not many hot options, No cream/ice cream with cakes.
TravelEls
TravelEls

Lovely cafe

5 Posted on 10 / 02 / 2012

Really great selection of cakes, coffees and other drinks, and sandwiches, with some hot food (had a really yummy soup when I went). Highly recommended for veggies and non veggies alike!

Pros: Great cake, Friendly staff, Yummy sandwich
hungryveg
hungryveg

Ok but not the best

3 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2012

The standard menu needs a few more dishes to choose from. I had garlic mushrooms on toast (toast didn't appear home made)and 'side salad' which was a few leaves (no tomatos, cucumber etc). These were average but enjoyable. My husband had a cheese and apple panini with the same few leaves. Cakes are £2.50-£3 per slice. We had a brownie each and we had to fight over who got the tiny one. Need to be more competitive to survive, there are lots of cafes in Beverley. Some are better and cheaper.

Pros: fully vegetarian
Cons: expensive, not much choice
RachelHeale
RachelHeale

Lovely cafe!

5 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2012

Have had lunch here twice now with my husband and daughter. The paninis are tasty, the house salad is delicious, the garlicky mushrooms on toast very more-ish and the cakes are amazing! The coffee's very good too! It's a very friendly cafe and there's a box of toys for little ones to play with. Will definitely be going there when we can.

Pros: Great food at good price, Friendly staff, Nice atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of Sugar and Spice: