Suan-Plu Mangsawirat

Authentic Thai dishes, salty and spicy. Non smoking. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Thai
Sathorn, Soi Suan Plu, Soi 8 (the right side after 50 meters)
Bangkok, Thailand
080-0807255

Open daily for breakfast and lunch.

First Review by herbivore
Vgan
Vgan

Reliable, good value

4 Posted on 11 / 24 / 2013

The yellow vegetarian flag outside helps in locating this modest outlet. I had breakfast here six days in a row in November 2013. Great value at rice and three choices for 40 baht. There are also some noodle dishes cooked to order at the street front, apparently some time after 9am, although I never managed to time my visit get any of those. Iced drinking water freely available, whereas most places want to sell you bottled water. The manager is friendly and speaks English; when he isn't around other staff members not so outgoing, but you can always get by by pointing to your choice of dishes.

Pros: Excellent value,, free drinking water
Cons: limited hours
Dominick
Dominick

Jay Gem in Soi 8

5 Posted on 06 / 04 / 2012

I have to declare an interest in this review, I know the manager of this place. The reason I know him is because I keep coming back here. It's 300 yards from my office and delivers good wholesome vegan food, good portions at a low price(that sounds like an advert but really I'm not just saying that). It wont be to everyone's tastes it is a basic canteen style place with no air con and one big fan at the back. The place opens before the crack of dawn at 5.30 a.m. and closes about 2 p.m.ish when the food is all sold. The earlier you get there the better it is. The manager speaks some English but it's not really needed as pointing and smiling at the dishes works fine if he is not on hand.

Rice and 3 servings(a serving is about a ladle of food) is 40 baht. They rotate the types of food so you can come back here and still not get bored. There are ten trays of food available Tom yam, Green Curry, Tom Kaa (normally one of these 3 each day) , a spicy salad and mixed veg are staple choices.

My five stars is based on the price, good filling food and the friendly manager.

No animals, no milk, no cheese is used in this restaurant. And also no onion or garlic. Jay ( เจ ) food is Vegan + no onions or garlic. The manager explained to me that it is believed although onion and garlic are healthy foods, it is more difficult for the body to process them. Too much garlic is said to cause a build up of the excess in the kidney and too much onion is said to cause a build up of the excess in the liver. I have always wondered about the reason for Jay food, I would still like to see the evidence to support this, but it's good to know the thinking behind Jay ( เจ ) food.

Updated from previous review on Monday June 04, 2012

Pros: Cheap, Large portions
Cons: No Air con, Most of the food is gone by 12.30 p.m.
herbivore
herbivore

Friendly food stall, daytime only

3 Posted on 09 / 25 / 2007

This (non-aircon) food shop is a traditional Thai diner, the only difference being that it's vegetarian. It's open daily for breakfast and lunch. They offer a variety of authentic Thai dishes that tend more toward the salty-spicy end of the spectrum than the sweet-spicy... That's not my personal favorite, but still there are usually several dishes to choose from and prices are very reasonable - about the same as what you'd pay in a non-vegetarian diner. We've eaten there at least 3 times, and we don't have any truly favorite dishes yet, but it's nutritious and quick.

Pros: Decent portions, Friendly staff, Good prices
Cons: On the salty side, No air-con

Dear Owner and Manager of Suan-Plu Mangsawirat: