Chinese vegetarian restaurant in Philly. Offers a large menu and has lunch specials. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, Asian, BYO, Take-out

Plant Powered Eater
Plant Powered Eater

good food

Posted on 08 / 09 / 2014

Had a good meal here on a recent visit to Philly

s144799
s144799

Good food but not as veg friendly as others

Posted on 12 / 25 / 2013

This restaurant has very good food but is not as veg friendly as other Chinese places such as New Harmony which is 100% vegan

Pros: Great food
Cons: Not as veg friendly as most
Sally K
Sally K

My favorite vegetarian restaurant in Philadelphia

Posted on 09 / 21 / 2013

I love the mushroom dishes, the soups, and wonderful combinations in Su Xing's entrees. Not your usual Chinese fare. I have taken several non-vegetarian friends there, and they enjoy the food as much as I do! I especially like the fact that they present different textures as well as combinations of flavors in each dish. "So interesting!" exclaimed one friend, much to our server's delight. The staff makes you feel welcome and is helpful. The sauces are really delicious!! Great value lunch specials. Definitely worth a visit if you are in Philadelphia.

Pros: Good value and nice service, Delicious sauces, Interesting textures and combinations

vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Nice atmosphere, good food

Posted on 02 / 20 / 2013

Philly has a lot of vegetarian-Asian places. Su Xing is really good, has a great atmosphere, and offers dishes/flavors that the others don't, in order to set themselves apart. Definitely recommend that you go here.

Pros: All-vegan, Good prices, Friendly
Benr
Benr

Love this place!

Posted on 02 / 01 / 2013

I regularly go here for the delicious food and nice calm atmosphere. Very peaceful. I recommend General Tso's Chicken!

Carrot_Stick
Carrot_Stick

Nice Surpise

Posted on 10 / 04 / 2012

Nice menu and good food. The last couple of times we went there, we ordered the eggplant with basil and the General Tsao's entrees. Both are gr8.

Pros: excellent food, excellent selection, excellent value
John Kevin
John Kevin

Best Vegan in Center City

Posted on 08 / 27 / 2011

Su Xing is my favorite vegan in Philadelphia! I've never seen "tofu skin" on another menu -- theirs is great and presented well (you'd think it was Thanksgiving) with braised tofu skin covering a mound of button mushrooms and nicely surrounded by braised shitake. Yum. Another treat is the unique "As You Wish" pockets stuffed with mushrooms, veggies and contained in yuba or tofu skin. If you're overwhelmed by choices on the extensive menu :) don't leave without trying "As You Wish" -- you won't be disappointed. The hot and sour soup can stand up to anyone's -- staff is always friendly; you can ask for a booth or table beside narrow Sansom Street and just watch passers by while having one of the best vegetarian meals in the city.

Pros: Extensive menu, Unique dishes, Consistently good
Yoshi
Yoshi

Best Chinese in Philly

Posted on 07 / 13 / 2011

While I love New Harmony, Su Xing House offers a healthier alternative to the heavy, greasy, mock-meat filled fare at the other Veggie restaurants in the city. It's nice to have dishes that are centered on vegetables instead of simply a vegan version of a meat dish. I've been there several times for lunch, and they offer a great lunch deal where you get not only the standard soup and rice, but also your choice of appetizer for about $7. The restaurant is also very nice on the inside, as opposed to the grungier appearance of most Chinatown eateries.

Pros: Healthier alternative to stndrd Chinese, Lunch deals, nice clean atmosphere
jacqui
jacqui

Nicest chinese food I've ever eaten

Posted on 04 / 07 / 2011

Stopped in here by chance and had a lovely evening, great food, atmosphere and plenty of tea! There was a vast menu, we had what the waitress recommended which was lovely, very tasty and good value for money. The portions were large so we took our left-overs home and had them the next day. I would highly recommend this place.

Pros: Delicious food, Good value, Friendly staff
lovegoodfood
lovegoodfood

Good food

Posted on 02 / 20 / 2011

This is a solid Chinese vegetarian restaurant. Even with a busy lunch time crowd, my husband and I were seated right away. Instead of ordering from the menu, I asked our waitress what a nearby patron was eating and ordered the same dish--mixed veggies & bean curd. I was completely satisfied with the meal. My husband ordered broccoli with garlic sauce, which he said was ok. Of all of the vegetarian restaurants in the immediate vicinicty--Su Xing was reasonbly priced, had good customer service, and decent food.

Pros: good food, good value, professional staff
lazberry
lazberry

Best of Philly

Posted on 08 / 31 / 2010

Su Xing is my favorite place to eat in the city. To begin with, it has a quiet, comfortable atmosphere and some of the nicest people imaginable. They bring you complimentary tea (and I always drink about a gallon of it). The menu is vast and interesting, with Chinese classics veggified as well as more creative dishes.

When I go to a place more than once, I generally pick a favorite dish and can't help but order the same thing over and over, but Su Xing is different. I order something new every time and always leave with a new favorite. I highly recommend the Vegetable Heaven, Bean Curd Deluxe, and Tofu Skins with Two Kinds Mushroom (but honestly, I've never had a bad meal here). Even my carnivorous boyfriend enjoyed this place!

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff, Good Value
greenbluegray
greenbluegray

One of Philly's nicest Asian vegans

Posted on 02 / 13 / 2010

Su Xing is much nicer than your average Chinese Vegetarian, not that there is anything NOT nice about them in general -- it's just that they are not meant to be fancy. But Su Xing is the most upscale one I've been to in Philly, with nice low lighting and is cozy with wooden booths and an upper level. It could actually kind of be romantic.

I love that it is BYOB. The menu is huge, with a long list of Chinese standards, just all vegetarian. The Chef's Specialties can be tricky to picture from the descriptions -- until you discover the pictures on another page of the menu. Still, deciding takes a very long time, because it all looks so unique and good. We were crazy for the black seaweed pancakes and asked for a second order. I like that they have seitan and cook with plenty of varieties of mushrooms.

Once drawback is that there are not many table choices for parties larger than 4. I think there is one large table, so our group of 5 was placed at a booth with a chair and small table on the end, which kind of isolated the 5th person, because he could not hear us. If you have a bigger group, reserve the large table.

I will be back for affordable, unusual, quite delicious vegan offerings. I saw vegan because I did not detect any cheese or egg, though I could be wrong. We had leftovers too, nice portions! Plenty of omnivores in my circles love to eat this way, no guilt. I think it is great to show people that creative wonderful dishes can be made from simple vegetables, that vegetarian eating can be a cuisine and not just a meal with all the fun parts taken out. You won't miss the meat, and you can eat healthfully, unless you order 2 servings of fried seaweed pancakes like we did. :-)

Lisa
Lisa

Very nice!

Posted on 05 / 06 / 2009

I brought a couple of omni friends here when we were traveling together. I didn't tell them it was vegetarian until we got there. They ended up trying it and loving it just as much as I did!

Pros: Delicious food, Great lunch specials, Inexpensive plus free tea!
findabiggerplace
findabiggerplace

Okay

Posted on 01 / 22 / 2009

I like Su Xing house, but not as much as Singapore or New Harmony. I would recommend their bubble orange slush, sesame chicken, and mashed tofu on the nori- but have had bad luck with other dishes that were bland.

Pros: Bubble Tea!
Cons: Hard to park
stacyr
stacyr

Highly recommended!

Posted on 01 / 16 / 2008

I ate here twice while in Philadelphia recently. The food was absolutely amazing. During my first visit, I had a fried tofu dish that came with soup and a side of my selection (I had sweet corn). During my second, I had potatoes and peas in a curry sauce with cashew fried tofu on the side. Everything was good and the staff were all very nice.

Pros: excellent food, large portions, great location
jaelee
jaelee

Excellent and Creative Food

Posted on 10 / 31 / 2007

An extensive vegetarian menu and excellent service.

Pros: Excellent Food, Diverse Menu, Good Value
jkohler2
jkohler2

Good Chinese Vegetarian

Posted on 10 / 05 / 2007

After a day of being a tourist, a local gift shop clerk recommended Su Xing House. We found the location with little difficulty. I looked for as many stir-fried vegetables as I could find, and asked for a special combination of stir fried string beans and snow peas, also the Chow Mei Fun. My experience has been that veggies(broccoli, snow peas, etc) are often cooked to limp texture, and the fast hot stir fry leaving a crisp veggie doesn't happen often. This time it did. Could have been more crunchy, but I am glad for what I did get. The noodles were not overdone and minimum oil was used. This place is a keeper.

Pros: Wide variety menu, clean surroundings
Cons: 2 stir fry options, could be more

best veg chinese in Philly

Posted on 08 / 30 / 2007

I eat here often, let's just say that. What I love about Su Xing, is that it is easy to navigate the menu to avoid fatty fried foods that are so often staples of veg Chinese food. Given the recent decline of other veg options in the city I'm so happy to have discovered this place. The hot and sour soup is excellent every time, the stir-fried peapod leaves are out of this world, and I really cannot think of a bad meal I've ever eaten there. You can request steamed tofu which makes a much better dish if you ask me. I'd go with the Four Seasons Hot Pot or try selections from the Chef's Specialties Menu, very tasty!

Pros: Healthy, Delicious, Great Service
Cons: uhhhhh..none

Great Great Food

Posted on 06 / 12 / 2007

Now this review may not be too fair being I can't get pass the Sesame Tofu to try anything else!! It's that good, at first try I wasn't as excited. I'm not a vegetarain (getting there tho) so had to adjust to the tofu taste, when you're use to the chicken version it's to be expected. But I guess by meals end I was hooked and I try to get there as often as I can. One day I'll actually order something besides the Sesame Tofu.

Oh the spring rolls are awesome too!!:-)

Pros: Foods awesome, great staff, non-vegetarians will love
Cons: The booths shakey, Credit Card Limit, Long wait for order
sifelaver
sifelaver

best miso soup in the city

Posted on 04 / 26 / 2007

excellent miso soup. far and above, the best miso soup out there. the lunch special is an incredible deal; for $6 or $7 you get an entree, appetizer, soup, rice, fortune cookie and unlimited tea--not bad! the servers are extremely attentive, but it never feels intrusive. the restaurant has booths (good!) but they are somewhat unstable. you can definitely feel it if you are sitting back to back with someone who moves around a lot. if i could impove on su xing house it would be to leave a pot of tea at the table rather than have the server run by every 5 minutes to refill - those cups are very small. also, they DO offer chopsticks but you have to ask for them. it would be a nice touch if they were on the table instead of silverwear, and you had to ask for silverwear (like how kingdom does it.) overall - excellent!

Pros: best miso soup ever, a real value at lunch, very attentive servers
Cons: wobbly booths, no pot of tea on table, must ask for chopsticks

Dear Owner and Manager of Su Xing House: