Su Shian Yuang Vegetarian...

This vegetarian restaurant provides Taiwanese food, including desserts. Uses no MSG. Confirmed opened Nov 22, 2013. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Asian, Take-out
420 Rue Rachel E (Rue Rivard)
Montreal, Quebec H2J 2G7
438-380-2829

Open Mon-Tue, Thur, Sun 11:30am-3pm, 5-9pm, Fri-Sat 11:30am-3pm, 5-10pm.

First Review by raphalla
samIam5
samIam5

Not true mock meats, but good veggie

4 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2014

As above. High-quality food but small portions. Great service. Decent prices.

LaVanessa
LaVanessa

Good food, excellent service

5 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2014

Came here with a vegetarian friend who has major allergies to an array of ingredients. The server was very helpful and patient in trying to accommodate her. I had the vegetable noodle soup, which was huge and filling, full of good veggies (including a chunk of corn cob). I would definitely return.

Pros: Large selection of vegan dishes, Excellent service, Good location
Babette
Babette

Nice restaurant

4 Posted on 11 / 23 / 2013

I've been there twice and the food has always been pretty good or great. Items that contain dairy or eggs are clearly identified and most of the options are vegan.

Last time, I had the spring rolls that were excellent. They come with an unusual tomato-based dipping sauce. I'd recommend. I'd also recommend the bbq steamed buns... that was not like anything I had eaten before and the taste of the dough and filling was rich. I'd definitely order that again. The "thé de courge cireuse"/winter gourd tea is absolutely fabulous. It is a squash-based cold drink that reminds me of maple water or even barley sugar. I ordered that the first time I went there and I know I will order it again next time.

For my main dish, I ordered the udon with black pepper sauce because it comes in a sizzling hot pot and that sounded like fun. The dish was very good and I liked the fake meats and how the vegetables were still a little crisp. The sauce was not too overwhelming (sugar, oil, salt) either as it can be in some Asian restaurants. But the dish was also kind of bland. I would not order it again.

Pros: Friendly staff, Moderate price, Winter gourd tea
Cons: No alcohol
BaloneySlap
BaloneySlap

Cute place!

5 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2013

This is a really cute, tasty place with a large, varied menu. I like going to the lunch buffet ($10.99). They always fill up whatever dish is running low, and their deep fried sushi is amazing! The staff are soooo nice and friendly.

The dinner menu is interesting, although some items are really not tasty. I usually stick with my favourites: noodles in black bean sauce, and wheat chunks in black bean sauce. The hotpot was tasty and filling, but some of those fake meats are rubbery.

Overall, I would say this is one of my favourite vegetarian restaurants. The service is excellent, the food is mostly delicious, and the place is well-located and cutely decorated.

Pros: friendly staff, lunch buffet, location
Cons: some items questionable, can be pricey for dinner
azaleea
azaleea

on buffet only

5 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2013

now this is a GREAT place, we loved ot from the start and we keep coming back.....

we went there half a dozen time for the lunch buffet (dinner is impossible for us, with young kids), and it is very very convenient price-wise, and it is an all you can eat buffet. They have the same dishes evey time, about 10-a dozen, but extremely tasty a lot healthier cooked than your average asian restaurant. When they are deeepfried, they are never soggy, are well drained. Most dishes are stir fried or steamed, which makes it a lot heathier; this was my issue iwht asian food, that I love (at least its vegan selection). BUt this place is amazing and I cannot wait to order from the regular menu (which is very extensive, looks great, with tons of vegan choices and vegetarian that can veganized). It is pricer though.

The atmosphere is amazing, very minimalist bt very nice decor. You can see this is a family business, they put thier heart into it. And this is a nother point I must make.... the staff is amazing, the nicest I have ever met in a restaurant. We feel like we eat a friend's house, really. They are so attanetive and nice and almost shy, trying no to bother everyone, but at the same time, be close to answer any and every request. They keep bringing food to the buffet, making sure it is always full. And , a big plus, I noticed once that they served themselves from that very food and went to eat it in a separate room.
Such a shame it is almost empty at lunch time. In the hour we spend there weekly, there are never more than 1 or two other customers, whereas the fastfood next door is full.
I cannot say enough good things about this place. If you remotely like asian food, you must go there - by the way the buffet is almost entirely vegan (one dish or no dish non-vegan).

Pros: great vegan buffet - great food & price, free for kids under 6, family run - amazing family!!!
Cons: i dont live next door to them LOL
  • azaleea azaleea

ON SUPPER: In the meantime we went there for supper too, several times. It is mostly the same dishes as for the buffet, plus new ones. Still delicious, fast service, generous portions. Their Tom Yum soup is extraordinary and the portion is huge.
    It will be more expensive though, versus the buffet.
    Again, very nice and calm atmosphere, great family owned restaurant.

• azaleea azaleea

AUTO-CORRECT !!
    the lunch buffet does vary a little, depending of the day of the week.
    after over two dozen visits it seems even better tasting; my toddler even asked for seconds last time (after a full plate).
    and the staff are even nicer, like family.
    they also introduced some fresh juices, delicious and 100% natural.

cookiemonster
cookiemonster

Good, fresh, a little pricey. Nice buffet.

4 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2011

This is on rachel near the corner of st-denis. The staff is super-friendly and the food is healthy, varied, and lots of dishes I have never had before. There are lots of mock-meat dishes but it is not as heavy or fried as, say, Yuan. Lots of veggie dishes, lots of fun desserts, and the hot and sour soup is great.

The only negative thing I have to say about it is that the price range is just a little above my usually eating out budget. Dishes are usually $12-16. The portions are ok, but, with an appetizer, the meal with tax is already at $25, forget soup or dessert. For a new asian-food restaurant, I think things are a bit pricey.

On the other hand, they have a lunch buffet during the week which is $10 for all you can eat. Includes soup, sushi, and some fruit. It's a great, delicious lunch.

Final verdict: I'm always glad to see a new veggie restaurant, especially one with new, interesting dishes. It's great and I recommend checking it out. It is a little bit pricey though so if you're on a tight budget, aim for the lunch buffet during the week.

Pros: healthy, friendly staff, lunch buffet
Cons: little pricey
raphalla
raphalla

Everything is good

4 Posted on 04 / 17 / 2011

It is near to Saint Denis and walking distance from Mont-royal too. Just opened in March. Taiwanese Chinese food, but with less mocked meat. Food taste good, not too oily or heavy.

Pros: Food, Service, Ambience
Cons: Price

Dear Owner and Manager of Su Shian Yuang Vegetarian Restaurant: