CLOSED: Su Healthy Cuisine

Serves meat, veg options available. Previously all veg, but as reported to HappyCow Oct 2010, this Edgewater restaurant serves noveau vegetarian cuisine and some non-veg items. Modern decor. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Pan Asian, International, Mediterranean, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Casey42
VeggieFitness
VeggieFitness

Upset They Are Not A Vegetarian Restaurant Anymore

4 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2010

I have been going to Su for over a year and the last time I went they informed me that they are now serving fish. This means I will now never go back since I refuse to go out to eat anywhere that is not vegetarian. I do not trust kitchens to use separate woks etc.
Any who, the crispy wheat gluten is really good as is the orange infused guac. I do find their prices to be steep for what the offer so I just usually end up going to Veggie Heaven. I know none of my friends will be going back to Su since they went carnie on us. Thanks but no thanks. Should have just left it all as it was. Maybe they changed owners? Who knows.

Pros: Good Food., Close To My House., Nice Staff.
Cons: Too Pricey For What It Is., Is No Longer A Vegetarian Restaurant.
EB456
EB456

Just flat out sucked!

1 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2010

I visited this restaurant on a Saturday night and at times our party of four was the only table in the entire restaurant. This said a lot to us and it was pretty depressing!

Don't be fooled by the positive reviews shown here or on Yelp. Notice the dates! From what I hear, this place used to be reasonable in price and awesome 100% vegetarian food. This has changed over the years because the restaurant had Dr. Oz from Oprah visit there a few times and after that, the prices went up but the quality went down!

They now serve chicken and shrimp, yuck! I guess this is due to the poor quality vegetarian food and lack of being able to keep repeat customers so they are trying to attract a wider audience.

I am not going to go into crazy details about our meals because that is boring, so I will just sum it up. The soups were very bland, seemed like canned soup. The appetizers were just ok but nothing to brag about. The entrees were extremely poor quality and seemed quickly tossed onto a plate, it lacked any chef creativity and flavor. Dessert was horrifying! I am being a little dramatic but it was truly terrible. We had a coconut custard thing of some sort. Seemed like a big blob of white, unflavored jello. Terrible! To top it off, this food was way overpriced for this terrible quality!

You're only 15 minutes away from the best veg dining on the East Coast, NYC! Save your money and go into NYC for some real veggie food!

Jersey has yet to produce a high quality veg restaurant that is worth crowing about, such a shame!

Pros: Local, Convenient, No Wait Time
Cons: Everything Else, Terrible Food, Tastless
Casey42
Casey42

Very Enjoyable

4 Posted on 02 / 24 / 2010

While I really liked the food here overall, there were a few things that could really have been better. We ordered the roti appetizer, which was absolutely delicious, but it only came with one 5" roti. It was $8 and I really felt 2 roti would have been way more appropriate, especially considering it would not cost them much to add it on. I ordered a second one for $2.
The entrees we ordered were both phenomenal. I had a roasted gluten dish and my boyfriend had tofu wrapped in nori. The presentation was nice and both tasted excellent.
For dessert, I really felt they could have offered more vegan dishes without trying very hard. Most of the items that were marked to have dairy were served with ice cream. Well, since you can get vegan ice cream anywhere now I think they really need to get that on the menu.
I had the mango mousse, which was really very good, but I am greedy and like a lot of choices.
The staff was stretched a bit thin, even for a slow wednesday night, but they kept up with grace.
Overall, I think this is a really good place, but if they just changed a few small things it would be a great place.

Pros: Taste, friendly staff, food quality
Cons: small portions, high prices

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Su Healthy Cuisine: