Streets of India Cafe

Serves meat, veg options available. Was pure veg when it had opened its doors in early 2011 but added meat in summer 2011. Makes authentic Indian street food using herbs and fresh ingredients. The veg dishes are marked with "v" and many are or could be made vegan upon request. Specialties include South Indian dishes like masala dosa and uttapam, as well as curries prepared with soy meats. Bargain all-you-can-eat lunch buffet on weekdays. Has wi-fi. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Catering, Take-out, Non-veg
16260 Ventura Blvd (Libbit St)
Encino, California 91436

Chia
Chia

Many vegan dishes

Posted on 09 / 25 / 2013

When I read about this place on HappyCow I was very eager to give it a try. Came here shortly after it had opened in 2011. Back then the entire restaurant was pure vegetarian Indian. Now there's some meat on the menu.

Went back again this week, Sept 2013, and here's my Streets of India Cafe review update.

On my first visit, we were a group of 4 friends who ordered a wide range of dishes to share, and we all enjoyed our meal. The family that runs this Indian cafe were gracious and helpful with our orders. They explained which items were vegan and which could be altered to suit vegan diets. From the menu we had tried samosas, bhelpuri (crunchy puff rice salad mix), panipuri (bite size puffs served with stuffing, chilled soup, and sauce), masala dosa (spiced potato stuffed crepe), uttapam (griddlecake), and several curries to share (jackfruit curry, kerala soy fish curry, soy chicken curry, and chana masala). We had a lot of extras to take home. Everything was delicious, well seasoned and tasted healthy - unlike other Indian foods I've had which often times are too salty or too spicy.

My personal favorites were the soy chicken curry in the tomato base (great sauce), the samosas, the panipuri, and the jackfruit curry.

On my second visit (this week), I opted for the lunch buffet. It was all you can eat for only $6.75 early bird special (crazy price!) and $8.75 regular lunch time (still very cheap). Many dishes were vegan suitable and labeled as such. I tried a bunch of dishes, and everything was all right. Personally, I prefer to savor a la carte dishes. Mixing buffet dishes proved to be too overwhelming for my palate.

I recommend this place. The food is good. The house made mango chutney is divine - it's sweet and tangy like spiced candy jam.

Pros: good seasoning, friendly people, mango chutney is divine
Gr8tfulDayz
Gr8tfulDayz

Many Vegan Options

Posted on 08 / 16 / 2013

While they do serve meat more than half of their lunch buffet is vegan.

Pros: They do serve meat
Cons: TONS of vegan options
pgnlvr22b
pgnlvr22b

Walked out Today

Posted on 08 / 03 / 2013

This establishment now serves meat and I will not be returning, another Vegetarian restaurant lost!

Updated from previous review on Monday October 03, 2011

Cons: Serves Meat, No longer a Vegetarian Establishment

petaleeli
petaleeli

5 Gold Stars!

Posted on 02 / 17 / 2013

Found this place via a Groupon coupon deal. Excellent food, with extensive menu having many vegan options, at a good price. Parking included for 1 hr., and friendly family who owns the restaurant.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Good value
Fritz
Fritz

Excellent Indian Food!

Posted on 07 / 05 / 2011

Streets of India has some of the best Indian food I've ever tasted, and ALL of the food served there is either vegan or vegetarian: there are NO meat options (hooray!). At our lunch there today, my partner ordered the Masala Dosa, which was enormous and came with two sauces: one hot & spicy, the other mild & tangy. Despite the huge size of the dosa, my partner had no trouble finishing it, so I know he liked it. I had the Thali plate, which comes with 3 vegetable choices, either white or brown rice, raita, a side of relish, naan, and a beverage. My vegetable choices were spinach, cauliflower, and okra, all of which were delicious and nicely spiced: not too hot but just hot enough for my taste. (ALL of the other selections also looked great.) Instead of regular naan, I opted to pay a dollar extra for the garlic naan, which was superb.

We opted to sit outside on the front patio, as there didn't seem to be any air-conditioning inside. The patio tables all had umbrellas, which we appreciated, and they were very clean as well. Also, the patio is high enough and far enough away from Ventura Bl. that no dirt or car exhaust fumes blew on us or into our plates. Though the temperature outside was quite warm, we preferred to sit out there rather than inside where it felt even warmer.

There could have been better coordination behind the counter, but both servers were friendly, and both came out to see if everything was okay.

I wish Streets of India would open a restaurant in Hollywood, so that we could enjoy their fantastic, all-vegetarian food regularly.

Pros: delicious Indian food, NO meat is served, service is fast & polite
Cons: didn't seem to be air-conditioned, limited number of tables
Breanainn
Breanainn

mmmm Tasty

Posted on 05 / 14 / 2011

Great place. Superb food and excellent staff. The "lamb" Samosa was really tasty, the chapati nice and fresh, the "Chicken" Tika (Made Vegan on request) was creamy and rich and the Manchurian Gobi was absolutely amazing. If your in the area its really worth a visit, can't wait to go back

Pros: Tasty, Fresh, Amazing Staff
Cons: not the cheapest
GabrielleHarradine
GabrielleHarradine

Great place for lunch

Posted on 04 / 12 / 2011

We had a dosa and two different curry dishes, Chicken Masala and the okra. All were REALLY good, but I think the Chicken Masala was our absolute fav. Great faux meat and excellent flavor!

VeggieHeather
VeggieHeather

Authentic Indian food, BEST service ever!

Posted on 03 / 16 / 2011

Streets of India Cafe is better than I could have imagined. My friend and I, both of us vegans, walked into the quiet restaurant for dinner. The gentleman at the counter guided us through the entire menu and told us what was vegan, which was just about everything. As we ordered, he alerted the kitchen that everything on our order should be done vegan. We had a dosa, saag, and the dal of the day, which came with a choice of brown or white rice. Our server even brought out several choices of pickle.

For less than twenty dollars, my friend and I had a filling and delicious dinner.

While I am not Indian, I've had many Indian friends over the years, and I've had some great home Indian cooking. The food tasted authentic, not like the overly oily and greasy Indian food that is typically served in Indian restaurants.

And, to top it all off... when ordering, I inquired if the desserts could be done vegan. Unfortunately they cannot be. But, halfway through our meal, a woman came out and told us she was bringing us a vegan dessert.... on the house! It was a cream of wheat-style dish in coconut milk with ground pistachio and coconut on top, and was absolutely delicious. I hope that this dessert eventually makes it to the menu.

Top-notch service and superior food. I will definitely be coming back!

Pros: great service, vegan friendly, inexpensive
Jodage
Jodage

Delectable

Posted on 02 / 19 / 2011

Excellent, fresh, clean, and very tasty! The Korma Curry with vegetables is awesome, made with coconut and cashews. The Rava Dosa was terrific. Try the Panipuri for a delicate and special appetizer. Excellent service.

ashokkumar
ashokkumar

Great Vegetarian /Vegan friendly restaurant

Posted on 02 / 05 / 2011

Came across this new restaurant that opened in Encino.
Friendly service,generous portions & affordable prices.They serve lot of Soy products.Enjoyed their Okra which was very fresh.Paneer stuffed bread was very well prepared.All vegetarians /vegan folks should try.Another plus point is one hour validated parking .I went during a weekday & didn't have to struggle for parking on busy Ventura blvd.

Pros: Friendly service, affordable price, fresh food
Cons: should offer nan
  • pgnlvr22b pgnlvr22b

They now serve Naan, though it is not vegan

Dear Owner and Manager of Streets of India Cafe: