Serves meat, veg options available. Offers some vegetarian dishes and 2 vegan items which are a tofu dish and a stir fry of vegetables in sweet chili sauce. Other veggie options include hummus plate, usually vegan soup of the day. Will substitute the non vegan Irish soda bread for vegan pita bread. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Irish, International, Non-veg

First Review by veganmiss
kadelesalle
kadelesalle

Fantastic Atmosphere, Suitable for Vegans

4 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2012

We had dinner at Stonechat after spending the day in Killarney. I made a reservation in advance after reading the positive reviews on HappyCow because I am a vegan and my mother, who was with me, is gluten-free. Our waiter was wonderful, and came over to walk us through what was gluten-free in the menu. The menu has a vegetarian section with two clearly labeled "Vegan" options. I had stir fry vegetables cooked in sweet chilli sauce, sesame oil and soy sauce served with rice. The food was amazing: the sauce had kick without being overpowering and the veggies were seasoned and cooked perfectly. I also appreciated that they provided more veggies than rice because I've often found that restaurants will give tons of rice with fewer veggies. I had a vegan-friendly apple pie for dessert, which was also outstanding. My mom had the salmon, which she loved. However, she was unable to have any of the dessert options, which was a downside, especially since I notified them of our dietary restrictions well in advance. All in all, it was a fantastic dining experience, and I would definitely recommend it to any vegans looking for dining options in Killarney.

Pros: Accommodating, Delicious food, Fantastic atmosphere
Cons: Not Vegan, Limited options
kaybee
kaybee

Great vegan meal, very accommodating, call ahead

4 Posted on 02 / 29 / 2012

We held our first County Kerry Vegans meetup at Stonechat. They have a vegetarian section on the menu and several options appear to be vegan. We called ahead and informed them we were coming and they said to tell the chef when we ordered and he would ensure our dish was vegan. When we called, we enquired if they had tofu, as there was a tofu dish on the old menu we had seen on menupages. They said they didnt, but that they had several things that could be made vegan. When we arrived the next night the hostess told us actually they did have tofu if we would like a tofu dish, the chef would make something special. One of our party requested that the dish be made without soy sauce, and the chef made up a lovely tofu and veg dish with a side of rice, with sauteed tofu and a mild curry sauce made with coconut milk (I think ;) ). It was really tasty and portions were pretty filling; reasonably priced as well (around 13 euro). Someone else had the hummus appetizer which was big enough for a light meal.

Restaurant was cosy, stove going inside, good ambience, accommodating staff.

They told us if we want to come again, to call ahead and they are happy to make sure they have tofu in, and then just to ask them to ask the chef to do us a vegan tofu dish.

Pros: good food, accommodating, reasonably priced
Cons: not an all-vegan restaurant
veganmiss
veganmiss

Vegan Dinner in Killarney

4 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2011

To start, I had the house salad which was filled with lots of great vegetables! It was very tasty. For my entree, I had the mushroom stir-fry with tofu. The mushroom sauce was quite good. I really enjoyed this as an entree (huge fan of mushrooms) and it was such a great meal change from what I had been eating for 3 days.

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2010/09/vegan-ireland.html

Pros: vegan friendly

Dear Owner and Manager of Stone Chat: