Serves meat, veg options available. Vegan (and gluten-free) choices including waffle brunch plate, veggie sandwich. Live music and DJ nights. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Canadian, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by Teknotribes
Meowmeow
Meowmeow

A couple vegan options

3 Posted on 07 / 17 / 2013

I go here when I want vegan waffles and have omnivore company but they keep changing the recipe they use to make the vegan ones. The first time I had their 'Starving for Vegan' waffles they were excellent, light and a bit potatey. This was a few months after they opened. Upon my second visit, I was warned by the server that they had recently changed the recipe. I protested when she told me this that there was no need to do so. The original version was great. The new waffles were darker in colour, denser and generally not very tasty. The server turned out to a be an owner and comped me the meal when I told her my honest opinion.

Almost a year has since passed since that second visit and I recently took a friend there who was visiting from NYC and not veg at all. I found again the vegan waffles were different. They were lighter in colour this time but INCREDIBLY hard. They had the kind of sharp texture that actually made me feel like the roof of my mouth had been cut. I had sensitivity there for a few days after.

I know there's another vegan option on the menu but frankly, I'm only interested in the waffles, and the first ones were so good I just keep giving it a chance.

I generally like the vibe at this place and it has a nice little patio in the summer time. Service and the coffee(soy available) are also good and they do dj nights as well. Just can't get the vegan waffles right, which really seems lazy because it's not THAT hard and waffles are the focus of their business.

Vegan alternatives aren't rocket science and there are vegan restaurants all over the place making delicious waffles. I just got back from Portland and had an excellent vegan sausage waffle from a flipping food truck no less. I wish there was a place in Toronto making amazing vegan waffles but there really isn't. Hogtown Vegan isn't far from Starving Artist and they do waffles but it's really isn't anything special.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday July 24, 2012

Pros: Good coffee, Service, Nice atmosphere
Cons: Vegan waffles aren't good, Keep changing recipe, Could use more veg options
Teknotribes
Teknotribes

awesome brunch spot

4 Posted on 04 / 01 / 2013

Not vegan friendly, but they have killer waffles. Cheese and chive waffles are the best.

Pros: tasty
Cons: minimal selections, full of hipsters and high waisted jeans

Dear Owner and Manager of Starving Artist: