Standard Sweets and Snacks

A vegetarian Indian restaurant (since 1985) that has an extensive menu featuring Gujarati style (West Indian), Punjabi style (North Indian), and South Indian food. Also sells Indian sweets and snacks (farsans or namkeens). Spacious interior with bright colors, TVs and wi-fi. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Fast food, Take-out
18600 Pioneer Blvd (Little India)
Artesia, California 90701
562-809-5009

Open Sun-Thur 11am-8:30pm, Fri-Sat 11am-9pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by chobesoy
chobesoy
chobesoy
  • herbivore

Local joint atmosphere, lots of very sweet sweets

3 Posted on 12 / 06 / 2013

The folks here were friendly and I enjoy visiting places that seem like a hangout for locals. Not too big, a corner joint with some cafeteria type seating. This is a place to just get a good authentic bite or some sweets after your meal elsewhere, since it's the surrounding businesses that are more for sit-down meals and buffets.

Disclaimer: I love Indian food but haven't found a love for its desserts. Being a dessert fiend I don't know how this happened, and I've been on a personal food quest to resolve this. I've come to this location a few times, usually getting a little box of items I haven't tried before and nibbling my way through. The staff are kind enough to patiently get my "one piece of this, one of those..." orders and have also given me samples when I'd deliberate. Unfortunately my conclusion is that I just don't like having spices like cardamom in my sweets. I've also come to the shocking realization that there is such thing as "too sweet." Really, this is the level where you scrunch up as if you just ate a lemon, but instead go wow that's insanely sweet! For those familiar with gulab jamun, which I actually like, but in small doses, that seems to be a baseline level of sweet that some desserts merely start from. When I eat a gulab jamun just to eat something "less sweet," we're talking crazy levels.
So, if you do like fragrant, exotically herbal, and super sweet desserts then you'd fare here better than I have. I don't want to take a personal preference out on a location that otherwise seemed fine and nice.
Note: the place is not vegan, most desserts contain milk. But the place overall is veggie-friendly (by nature of being Indian) so if you're already a fan of Indian snacks and sweets, grab a seat and hang out for a while.

Pros: quick , friendly, casual

Dear Owner and Manager of Standard Sweets and Snacks: