St. Dames

Whole food restaurant with a saintly theme and with spiritual iconography throughout. Has wi-fi. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out
4525 Martin Luther King Jr Way S (Columbia City neighborhood)
Seattle, Washington 98118
206-725-8879

Open Tue-Thur 4:30-10pm, Fri 4:30-11pm, Sat 9am-3pm, 5-11pm, Sun 9am-3pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by snyre
zemphira
zemphira

Delicious every time!

5 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2012

St Dames seems to have it all; great food (papas tapas are to die for)with vegan and gluten-free options as well as exceptional service. All in a unique and inviting atmosphere.

We've had several items off their regular menu, which they update periodically depending on the seasonal foods that are available. The quesadilla is delicious, filled with grilled vegetables and their own special vegan cheese (upon request). The Portobello cheese steak sandwich is delightful and very satisfying and if you're a cheese steak fan, not to be missed! And don't forget to ask about their specials -- their grilled corncakes are a particular favorite and we hope they end up on the main menu.

Their brunch is also wonderful, the biscuits and gravy as well as the Breakfast Burrito (vegan for us) are particular favorites. And the tamari-braised kale is simply divine!

I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who is looking for dining options that are an extra special treat as well as a unique, inviting and very pleasing atmosphere. The fact that they cater to vegans and gluten-free diners is a bonus.

Pros: Vegan , excellent service, gluten-free options
Cons: Not open for lunch
Anything Goes
Anything Goes

What an absolutely phenomenal meal!

5 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2011

We started with crispy papas tapa with delicious red pepper tomato dipping sauce. For entrees we had kale ravioli with roasted yams and stuffed squash halves with roasted cauliflower. Each were incredibly tasty and filling without being heavy.

The staff and owners are lovely and very conscious about vegan and gluten-free options.
They also strive to be "as green as possible and source local ingredients, organic when possible."

As a bonus they serve great craft cocktails- i had the Lady Flyer which is a variation of the prohibition drink the Aviation.

The decor is fun as well.

Pros: amazing food, large portions, craft cocktails
Cons: limited tables
veg with kids
veg with kids

Wonderful!

5 Posted on 07 / 14 / 2011

When we discovered a vegetarian restuarant in South Seattle, we were thrilled! After dining at St. Dame's, we were ecstatic! The food was so amazing and priced just right. The atmosphere was wonderful, too.
After dinner, we discovered that they also served brunch. So, we came back the following morning, this time with the kids and our parents. Everyone loved it.
As it so happens, we had the same server, who was just lovely. So, we all started talking and it turned out that she was not only a dedicated server, she was an owner. We told her how much we had enjoyed a particular item (a cardamom cake) and so she provided us with the recipe!
St. Dames is a terrific place and we look forward to returning again and again!

Pros: Service, Food, Price
kindlizard
kindlizard

I got a new favorite spot

5 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2011

I had never been to that area of Seattle before and I loved it. The cafe is small but the food is amazing. They serve real food made from scratch. I saw no evidence of cheap or processed ingredients. It was not expensive at all for the portion and nutrition. We were there for brunch and ate a ton of food, all of it was excellent. We plan to go back (often) for dinner.

They were playing James Brown, Sly Stone, and funky stuff. Though there are some candles and iconography, I asked the owner/server straight out if they were at all religious and she said not at all. Don't let that stop you, it is fun and the food rocks.

Caffe Vitta coffee is really good too. I will grab a brunch menu next time to recount all the wonderful things I ate there. The list was long and I want to get all the names right to do it justice, but it was all amazing.

Top ten for me.

Pros: service/kindness, excellent food, good cost
Cons: I didn't go sooner
snyre
snyre

Creative vegan/vegetarian food, nice atmosphere

5 Posted on 01 / 17 / 2011

The description indicates that this place is quasi-religious, which does it bit a disservice. The religious iconography is really more tongue-in-cheek decor. The food, however, is creative and amazing: vegan mac 'n cheese won me over, and the fried mushrooms and portobello cheese stake (get it? Stake? Religious iconography?) won my husband over. Most everything can be made either vegetarian or vegan. Lovely cocktails and interesting beer selection as well. Atmosphere is a little between bar and nice restaurant, and the staff couldn't have been nicer to us. Not located in what you'd call a hoppin' neighborhood but easily accessible by light rail.

Dear Owner and Manager of St. Dames: