Sri Lakshmi Naarasimhan

South Indian eatery situated opposite Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple, near Farrer Park MRT/North-East line, in Little India. Specialty includes andhra dosa. Relocated here in Apr 2014. Closed Monday. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Indian
436 Serangoon Road
Central Singapore, Singapore
62927740,62922434

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by ADTC
AntaryaminBrahman
AntaryaminBrahman

Indian Vegetarian

Posted on 08 / 22 / 2011

Excellent Indian lacto-vegetarian food. There are many dishes without onion and garlic. South Indian meal is the best. North Indian meal has onion and garlic. You may order Thosay, Ittily, Pongal, Chappati --- which have no onion and garlic --- that come with Daal, vegetables and Saambaar (curry) without onion and garlic. Inform the waiter your preference.

Pros: Excellent food, Reasonable price, Hygenic
Cons: Indian nationals' children romp about., Waiters have BAD memory, Waiters don't attend to you.
Joshio
Joshio

Good food, if you stick to the basics

Posted on 08 / 18 / 2011

eYou know how mum's cooking is the best, but it is not applicable to all dishes, is it? How does your mum's vadapav compare to the vadapav sold at the corner rekdi?

The same goes for SLN, as I have come to call it over the years. Their thalis are excellent, their idlis soft, their dosas crisp and their sambar superlative. Try the north Indian fare or the fast food only if you are feeling adventurous.

The service is adequate, but one does get the feeling that the waiters do not tend to stay. I have seen many new faces on the many occasions that I have been there.

If you see a sprightly middle aged lady in an exquisite saree running around asking people how the food is, do let know what you think. She takes feedback very seriously, but be nice. She doesn't take crap from anyone.

All in all, a great place if you are missing home cooked food, and you do not mind listening to Hindu/Buddhist chanting while consuming your meal.

Pros: Excellent basics, Good filter coffee, Nice ambience
Cons: Slightly expensive ceterus paribus, Waiters may forget second orders, Popular with families, crying baby alert
ADTC
ADTC
  • non-vegetarian

Worst customer service ever!

Posted on 09 / 03 / 2010

My wife and I visited this restaurant for dinner. We went there because she had tried the Hot & Spicy Andhra Cheese Dosai and recommended that I should try it too. Hence we ordered Andhra Cheese Dosai and Andhra Masala Dosai. It wasn't very spectacular, but something new and likable, but the inflated price of $5.90 is too expensive.

We also ordered Bournvita and Tea. As we were finishing our Dosai's, the drinks were served. The Bournvita didn't taste like Bournvita, but tasted something like Horlicks mixed with Milo. Still it was OK.

But the Tea was actually a "Masala Tea." This is not what I expected when I ordered Tea. The menu card clearly states the name of the item as "TEA". It doesn't state anything beyond that. What would a new customer walking in, conclude from this? That the tea would be normal.

So I called the waiter and asked him why I'm served with this kind of weird tea, when I ordered Tea. He went to the kitchen, came back and told me "This is the only tea here." So I asked him, "You go to a restaurant outside and order tea, do they serve masala tea or normal tea?" He didn't even apologize or say anything but simply removed the tea from the table and struck the order off the order slip.

Later, when paying for everything except the tea, I discussed with the cashier (boss/manager), showing him the menu card and asking him "How is the customer supposed to know whether this is normal tea or some masala tea?" Instead of apologizing, he shows me a lunch menu, which has an item called Special Tea and claims that it's a printing mistake in the evening menu.

He was trying to hint that I'm supposed to know, without being told, that Tea means Special Tea. In response I told him that the waiter must inform the customer of such mistakes, and let the customer know what will be served. Again, he refused to apologize and even ignored my conversation, quoting the bill instead. ($13.80!)

At this point, I was already getting very angry at this unworthy attitude of the staff in this restaurant. I simply paid getting ready to leave. I left the restaurant with my wife, but not before telling him a final word: "How is the customer to know what is what? If you aren't going to provide quality service, customers won't want to come back to your restaurant."

I vowed to never visit this restaurant again due to such irresponsible customer service and uncaring attitude of the staff. They never seem to respect the golden rule of business: "Customer is always right."

Pros: Good food
Cons: Bad Bournvita, Wrong Tea!, Worst Customer Service!

Dear Owner and Manager of Sri Lakshmi Naarasimhan: