Sri Ganesh's Dosa House

Vegetarian Indian restaurant specializing in the South Indian specialty of dosa. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Take-out
809 Newark Ave (Train: Journal Square, right onto JKF Blvd, 2nd left onto Newark/Indian Square)
Jersey City, New Jersey 07306
201-222-3883

First Review by Stevie
tofumax
tofumax

i crave these dosas!

Posted on 01 / 08 / 2010

the dosa house is our favorite stop in nj! we go every time we can! the food is delicious and clean and fresh. i love the palak masala dosa, it's a lentil flour and spinach crepe filled with deliciously spiced indian potatoes. also the utthapam is delicious, we like the spicy chili/tomato/onion utthapam. it is a sort of fried lentil flour pizza, for lack of a better description. that fermented lentil batter is unlike anything else in the world, and i simply crave it.
everything at this restaurant is vegetarian, and most of it is vegan, but i'm not sure about the condiments. also, be sure to help yourself to the sambar (super spicy soup)!

Pros: amazing food, great prices, clean food
Cons: styrofoam plates
Truly
Truly

Heaven!

Posted on 03 / 06 / 2008

I have been sampling South Indian cuisine all over New York and New Jersey for years now and this is the best dosa place I have found. The selection of dosa is simply unbelieveable and the quality of the food is always excellent )I have been many times now).

Some of my favorites include Palak paneer masala dosa, Chana ghee masala dosa, Rava Masala dosa, and a few of the appetizers including Dahi vada and masala vada. They also make a nice chai (which they call masala tea). Last time I was there I tried pongal for the first time. It was an incredible value and a huge portion of delicious comfort food.

Newcomers may find the atmosphere a little bizarre. You order at the counter, then pick a numbered table and give the number to the cashier. Then you sit and wait. There is a big vat of truly excellent sambar at the back which you can eat while you wait, or save it to eat with your dosa. Free refills. When a dish is ready arrives, they yell out your table number and you have to go pick it up. You may have to do this several times as they don't wait until your full order is completed.

The decor leaves a lot to be desired but in my opinion, that just makes me focus even more on how great the food is.

Just a five minute walk from the Journal Square PATH station, Sri Ganesh's Dosa House is convenient, cheap, and incredibly tasty.

Pros: Fantastic food, Amazing variety, Inexpensive
Cons: Ambiance
Stevie
Stevie

Sri Ganesh's Dosa House, Jersey City

Posted on 09 / 10 / 2006

I went here with an Indian friend who is a bit of a snob when it comes to Indian food and always likes to complain about Indian restaurants. He said the food was OK which for him about an Indian restaurant is praise not given lightly. Only a few mins walk from Journal Sq train station. Not bad serve yourself soup I seem to remember. Very inexpensive and this is reflected in the decor.

Pros: Inexpensive
Cons: Not the nicest decor

Dear Owner and Manager of Sri Ganesh's Dosa House: