Opened in March 2010, Sprig & Vine is an upscale and stylish vegan restaurant in Union Square. Menu features slow-roasted root vegetable pave, rosemary and red wine-braised shallots, edamame falafel, cornmeal-crusted tempeh, and more. Brunch on Sunday. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan, American, Gourmet, BYOB
450 Union Square
New Hope, Pennsylvania 18938
215-693-1427

Open Tue-Thur 5-9pm, Fri-Sat 5-10pm, Wed-Sat 11:30am-2:30pm, Sun 10am-2pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by Ishani
AlexandraC.MacArthur
AlexandraC.MacArthur

Delicious Vegan BYOB

4 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2014

Sometimes I just crave Sprig and Vine. I love their grilled mushrooms and black eyed pea cakes. I also miss their delicious p&b&j pancakes dessert (can't have it now that I'm gluten free).

I really like how gigantic and colorful all the meals are. Every entree is accompanied by numerous sides that compliment the entree.

I will say that the service has slowed down in the past year and some of the dishes are no longer as flavorful. This is a bit disconcerting, but I'm still going to go there. Maybe someone just needs to tell the chef?

Also, I should mention that it's BYOB!!

Pros: All vegan , Delicious appetizers, Fantastic dessert
Cons: Not many gluten free options, service is slow
butikiteas
butikiteas

Great for Brunch, wouldn't recommend for dinner

4 Posted on 05 / 18 / 2014

This is mine and my hubby's go to place for brunch. Caution, some food is great and others meh at best. The brunch is so very delicious. I highly recommend the biscuits, fried oyster mushrooms, potatoes, and doughnuts. The doughnuts are amazing. Definitely be sure to try the doughnuts. The juices are also very fresh. I don't recommend the soups, I have yet to have one that wasn't bland. Also, most of the dinner entrees were pretty bland. All of the breakfast foods have been great but everything else seems meh. Be sure to bring singles for parking. Also, I recommend calling ahead. Twice the restaurant was closed, when it wasn't expected and we drove 40 minutes there for nothing. One time it was closed for a party the other time it was closed for a 'farmer's market'. Also, arrive well before closing. Once we arrived 20 minutes before closing and the doors were locked and no one would come over to the door. I highly recommend reservations for brunch. The servers are very nice but service is slow.

Pros: Amazing breakfast foods, Great atmosphere, Pleasant staff
Cons: slow service, dinner entrees are not amazing
drummergirl
drummergirl

TIRAMISU. YES, YES, YES!

4 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2014

Sprig and Vine is a nice little spot for good vegan food. I love the atmosphere, and the staff is friendly. I ordered a Roasted Cauliflower and Arugula salad for lunch, and it was sooo good! The dressing was outstanding (lime-cumin vinaigrette of some sort...). BUT the best part of it all was the tiramisu! OH MY GOSH it was AMAZING. I was really in need of a good vegan fixing of tiramisu, and this place nailed it. The coffee ice cream served beside it was also yummy! My non-vegan friend, who was with me at the time, tried it, and said it was some of the best tiramisu he's ever had. And he ordered the PB&J French Toast, which was so good he said he could not believe there were no eggs, milk, or butter in what he just ate. Although it's pretty expensive, I'd definitely come back here again.

Pros: Great food/dessert, Smells amazing when you walk in :), Nice staff
Cons: Pricey
mas
mas

Creative vegan fare

5 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2014

This is our go-to special occasion restaurant. The dishes are somewhat expensive but well worth it for the thoughtfulness of flavor combinations demonstrated. The food is vegetable based, rather than protein and fat based, so relies on interesting ingredient marriages to accentuate the flavor of the food. The service each visit has always been excellent which is becoming a rarity lately.

Jamie Roberts
Jamie Roberts

Delicious and Creative!

5 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2014

The grilled oyster mushrooms alone are worth the trip to New Hope. Flavorful soups and sandwiches and very friendly service.

Ponygirl
Ponygirl

OMG AMAZING

5 Posted on 12 / 13 / 2013

I love this place. It is the most delicious place ever. So much so that my family takes me here every year for my birthday. And they love it too, even though they're not vegan. I also go with friends, and we typically order everything on the menu just to "try it all". On the expensive side, but if you want to treat yourself to something delicious go try it out. Eat everything on the menu and then walk it off in downtown New Hope (lots to see for sure). I like to get brunch here as well, and get the French toast, pancakes, waffles... it's all good. Desserts are so tasty too. One of their desserts for example: pb&j French toast. (my family still talks about that one)

Chef Shae
Chef Shae

Not Worth the Money

2 Posted on 10 / 25 / 2013

This is solid advice from a twenty year vegan, full time foodie/chef who has catered for thousands of people, has consulted for several plant based restaurants and has owned plant based restaurants. So here's my story.

When I heard about Sprig and Vine I was uber excited. I had followed the story from the days of Horizon to the development of Sprig. Sprig was started by the Sous Chef of Horizons while Vedge was created by the Executive Chef. Blackbird Pizza and Hip City Vedge were also spin offs of Horizons. I have no affiliation with any of these places except that I'm a vegan.

Needless to say it has been my goal as a foodie and vegan of twenty plus years to experience all things vegan. I moved to the area in 2013 to work as a raw chef and consultant for a local national brand. Immediately I began trying the local vegan cuisine. Sprig and Vine was on a platform for me. I was sure it was going to be amazing, however the high prices were prohibitive (being a chef and former restaraunteer I know what price points are acceptable) and a turn off.

Our waiter acted as he was above us. I tried to inform him of my background and about tell him how excited I was to eat there, but he was rude and didn't seem to care. On top of that we were the only ones dining so he could have given his full attention to us.

We decided that we wanted to order starters, soup, salad and an entree. We asked for suggestions but the waiter seemed ill informed. We began with the mushroom starter. It was ok but was burnt, I presume it was supposed to "fire roasted" but they came off as burnt. After that we received our soups. We ordered one soup special and the house soup. Both were flavorless and tasted SOUR AS IF THEY WERE OLD. It was horrible. Next came our salad. The salad was fairly amazing, no complaints there. Finally our entree arrived.

The entree was flavorless and made with frozen corn and peas (not the advertised fresh local fare) and was way overpriced. Basically it was $23.00 for frozen corn, frozen peas, fire roasted tomatoes and grits. We even had to pay extra for a side of potatoes. It was a complete rip off. I wouldn't return with someone else's money. The sad thing is, as a vegan I love to support vegan restaurants, but this place gives vegans a bad name.

Updated from previous review on Friday October 25, 2013

Pros: Vegan
Cons: Way too expensive, Not fresh, bland, Poor service/customer relations
  • butikiteas butikiteas

Definitely agree on the entrees and soup being bland. Try the brunch (specifically breakfast items), they are delicious. Almost like a different restaurant.

Vegparty
Vegparty

Great for any Special Occasion

5 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2013

We have eaten here about 6 times for dinner, and have always been pleased. The entire menu is "pure vegetarian" which means "vegan" to most people, but I really love that twist on the name as they chose it. We had appetizers that included falafel with a black bean tahini sauce, and grilled oyster mushrooms. They were outrageously fantastic! For dinner we tried summer paella, grilled fresh local tofu, risotto balls, and an eggplant dish. The entrees and soups change seasonally. The salads -local corn and blueberry was awesome- were large, fresh and had light and delicious dressings. The desserts range from cheeses cake to brownie type items, served with house made ice cream. This place is a real gem. We brought 4 carnivores and they left happy. The place has a peaceful, new, zen vibe on the quiet side except for Friday and Saturday nights. Oh and you'll need a reservation for evenings and groups bigger than 2. BYO. Get ready for some oyster mushrooms - smoky and "meaty."

Pros: Beautiful presentation, Beautiful decor, Seasonal menu
Cons: Call ahead for a reservation, Can be a little oily
JAnneGreene
JAnneGreene

Excellent

5 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2013

Great vegan food. Beautiful presentation and delicious.

Pros: locally sourced food, very well prepared, upscale
bucksctyveg
bucksctyveg

Absolute Gem!

5 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2013

I have eaten here several times for lunch, dinner and once for brunch. The food and service has always been wonderful. Food is creative, fresh and portions perfect! Love the tempeh reuben! Parking lot is big and a pleasure compared to trying to find on street parking in New Hope! It is one of my favorite places to bring someone!

Pros: Quality of food , Friendly service, Nice simple ambiance
Cons: Desserts are just okay
voivoed
voivoed

Guaranteed good food

5 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2013

My wife and I have been there on numerous occasions and have never had anything that was not great. The menu is seasonal, since they buy most of their ingredients locally. It's one of our favorite places, we don't have to go all the way to Philadelphia or New York to find excellent vegan food.

passedout
passedout

Some of the Best Brunch

5 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2012

Sprig and Vine makes gourmet vegan food, and although it's a little pricey, it's a better value than most gourmet places in NYC or Philadelphia.

The Sunday brunch has been my best experience there. Great French toast, tofu Benedict or biscuits with fried oyster mushrooms. I've only had a dinner there twice, but each time was very good food that leaves with a good amount of flavor to explore. The dishes are unique and do some interesting things with vegetables without using any mock meat products. Definitely a place I'll be back to soon.

Pros: Great Food, Great Service, Great Atmosphere
greenleaf
greenleaf

Value

2 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2012

Do not order the Black Bean Soup or let a server talk you into ordering that Soup. It is awful! Very disappointed and will not return.

Pros: Vegan
Cons: Tast not as advertised
tollyholly
tollyholly

Wonderful food and ALL VEGAN

4 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2012

A non-veg friend recommended Spring and Vine to me because she'd had a great meal there before. I loved not having to make changes to my order and worry if some dairy or eggs are hidden in my meal somewhere.

It's a small menu but most things seemed appetizing to me. I had the pecan-squash ravioli and it was fantastic. Highly flavorful and served on a bed of sweet potatoes, apples, oyster mushrooms, and lots of other good stuff. I wish I could've eaten more of it but I was full. My friend had roasted butternut squash atop jasmine rice with wheatberries and other things. She said it was great too, and it looked it. I wish we weren't too full for dessert.

The place is tiny so make reservations. It's a nice-looking place though. My only gripe is that I wish the prices were a little lower. I would rate it 4.5 if I could.

Pros: Awesome food, Big portions, All-vegan
Cons: Pricey
Yoshi
Yoshi

Delicious Food, But a Little Pricey

4 Posted on 10 / 27 / 2011

My wife and I ate here for lunch and were both more than pleased with the quality of the food. I ordered the Tempeh Reuben and she ordered the Eggplant Banh Mi. We also split an order of the Zucchini & Black-Eyed Pea Griddle Cakes. I've never had a Reuben before so I have nothing to compare it to, but I was glad I ordered it. The Banh Mi was even better and is probably the best sandwich I've had in quite some time. I thought $34 was pretty steep for two of us for lunch, but the food was definitely unique and delicious.

Pros: Tasty Food, Nice Atmosphere
Cons: A Tad Overpriced, Parking, Limited Menu
KATHLEEN W.
KATHLEEN W.

Great vegan place in Bucks County!

5 Posted on 12 / 12 / 2010

Sprig and Vine is a wonderful vegan restaurant. The brunch & dinners I have had there have been amazing. It is somewhat expensive, but the food and service are excellent. Updated from previous review on Wednesday May 26, 2010

Pros: all vegan!, decor
DS
DS

• non-vegetarian

Gourmet vegan cuisine

5 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2010

We heard about this place from a relative, and thank God we did!  It's great to have a gourmet vegan restaurant located somewhere other than a major city.

We've had a multitude of dishes at Sprig and Vine, and all have been creative and delicious.  Appetizers we have enjoyed include Watermelon Gazpacho with Avocado Basil Sorbet, artichoke hearts lightly fried with a delicious sauce, french fries, lentil soup, and corn and quinoa stuffed zucchini flower with a green curry sauce.

Entrees we have enjoyed include a Tempeh Reuben, Risotto Cakes, and Blackened Tofu, just to name a few.

Desserts we have enjoyed include a cookie sampler and the PB&J French Toast. The PB&J French toast features three baguette pieces french toasted, served with a peanut butter powder and a port wine reduction.  This dish will literally have you licking the plate clean.

Service has always been prompt, accurate, and friendly.  We always joke with the servers how much we "hated" the food, because our plates are always completely spotless after each course.

Please note that they frequently rotate the menu so your favorite dish may be there one day and replaced with something else delicious the next.

Pros: Delicious food, Good service, Feel good cuisine
carolynpsu
carolynpsu

Brunch was such a treat

5 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2010

My omnivore husband and I went to Sunday Brunch this month at the Sprig & Vine. It was our 1st visit. Although I've been to vegetarian restaruants, this was both my 1st vegan restaurant experience and also the 1st veg friendly menu with a broad selection of breakfast items. We had blueberry pancakes, french toast with peaches, home fries, and juice. Everything was delicious, and for me worth every yummy vegan calorie!
We also enjoyed the option to dine outside, which although near the parking lot was very pleasant since there is landscaping between the table area & lot, a speaker for music and shade from the heat.

We will definately return again this time for lunch or dinner.

Tip: If you haven't been to New Hope, it is a great town to stroll & shop. The Sprig & Vine is centrally located and just off the main street. Also, forget about the $10 parking lots or struggling for a $1/hr street spot, there is plenty of $1/hr parking in at Union Square where the Sprig & Vine is located and you don't have to bring quarters for that lot because it uses a payment kiosk.

Pros: vegan, great food, friendly service
Cons: slightly pricey
Chopin
Chopin

First Time Visitors

4 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2010

We are so happy to see a new vegan restaurant in the
Bucks County area! We found out the chef and owner
is a former chef from Horizon in Philadelphia. The service
was good. The food was great! Very tasty and the gourmet presentation was elegant. We had the tofu satay, edamame falafel for appetizers and the seared coconut risotto cakes entree. Although we shared the entree, you may want to order a separate entree for each person. The dessert menu was limited and we skipped it. We look forward to going again!

greenbluegray
greenbluegray

More great vegan in Greater Philly area

5 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2010

Horizons-style, upscale, savory, healthy food outside the city, hurray! Spring & Vine offers a zen-like environment that does not compete with the food but is very relaxing. It's in a newish brick shopping center on the edge of town. This is not a big place, so make a reservation.

There is excellent service at the table and front door; we were treated kindly when we called to say we were going to be late. I'd love to sit at the neat black tile bar sometime. All four of us plotted to get something different so we could all have a taste, and the coconut risotto cakes won as the best dish. We also had the tempeh (huge portion and very filling), the root vegetable pavé (a lasagne-like stack pressed together), and the grilled tofu. Great sauces! The African Peanut soup was sooooo good, too, even in hot weather.

I finally remembered to bring my own takeout dishes so I don't have to waste packaging or bother the staff. You might think this is geeky, but I think more people should do it. No more garlic sauce spilling out of styrafoam onto the car floor on the way home either.

The portions are huge all around, so we did not have room for dessert, which always happens, so maybe a late night dessert trip is warranted sometime. Our wine was handled well too, which included a cab that was a tad warm from sitting in the car and needed a few minutes in the fridge.

Oh please, vegan cuisine, creep just a little closer to my town so I don't have to drive so far for this wonderful affordable food.

aeclarke
aeclarke

Great Place

4 Posted on 07 / 08 / 2010

My husband and I LOVE New Hope and when we found out there was a new vegan place there we had to try it. The staff was incredible friendly and the food was great. I had the tempeh and my husband had the tofu. The portions were big and everything was fantastic. Great new place in Bucks County!

Corganic
Corganic

Very good.

4 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2010

We've eaten at Sprig and Vine several times since they've opened, and like it a lot. They are always very friendly, and the food presentation as well as the decor is beautiful. Their dinner menu is quite small, and because we're slightly picky eaters, it limits our choices. However, we've both found a few things that we love and look forward to every time we go. The tofu satay appetizer is incredible; we've ordered it every time. I love the seared coconut risotto cakes, and my husband always orders the cornmeal-crusted tempeh. The only thing we didn't care for is the root vegetable pavé. Also, don't skip dessert, because it's delicious. I'm partial to the olive oil cake, but the chocolate mousse is, of course, worth stuffing yourself for.

Pros: Friendly service, Great presentation
Cons: Limited menu
Ishani
Ishani

Not Impressed

2 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2010

i am sorry that this review is so negative...

Looking at the menu, and the elegant way they describe the food had me thinking that it was going to taste that way also, but that wasn't my experience.

To be fair, i only had 3 things there for lunch ~ 1)Tempeh Reuben, which was ok. but tasted like vinegar and the little bit of salad next to it tasted like vinegar also with some olive oil. Both didn't have a very satisfying blended taste. 2)Sweet Potato, Bean and Rice Burrito for lunch. That was a little better but nothing to write home about. It was a little oily. Also came with a little salad.
3) Tofu/ Spinach/ Potato Burrito for Mother's day. That was the worst. The spinach was very sandy and it just made the whole thing very unnappetizing. i told the owner/manager about the sandy spinach and he quickly walked away to tell the cooks but did not offer to replace mine or my husband's. The whole wheat burrito shell was also nauseatingly oily. Plus all the flour items have gluten in them with no other options, it seems. To top it off i saw the owner/manager light up a cigarette which was the last straw for me, especially at a vegan restaurant. i will not be going back.

i have had much better food at small family owned health food stores. Sorry.

Pros: They are trying., Vegan
Cons: The food is very mediocre, Owner/ Manager smokes cigarettes, Owner did not offer to replace items

Dear Owner and Manager of Sprig and Vine: