Spotted Dog Restaurant and Bar

Serves meat, veg options available. Creative take on American-style cuisine with very large selection of vegan options (including but not limited to fake meats). Has full bar, relaxed atmosphere, local artwork. Tempeh and tofu dishes can be made vegan upon request. Entrees would range from $10-$15. Located in historic downtown Carrboro, right across from Carr Mill Mall. Offers veg options that are marked on the menu. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
111 E Main St (Weaver & Greensboro)
Carrboro, North Carolina 27510
919-933-1117

Open Tue-Sun 11:30am-12 midnight, closed Mon.

First Review by veganrunner
tauberl
tauberl

Lots of great options!

4 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2014

Veggie/veganized "comfort food" type menu with a lot to choose from, with vegan items clearly marked. I was with a group of non-vegans and everyone really liked the food (most ordered vegan dishes)- as a group we had the hummus plate, flautas (which were amazing), the curry quinoa burger, and the Reuben. They also had a vegan brownie sundae so of course I had to try that too- not the best I've ever had but still very good. It's centrally located, near lots of shops, definitely worth a visit if you're in downtown chapel hill.

Pros: big menu , clearly marked vegan options
Mubby
Mubby

Delicious Chik-Faux-Lay and vegan BBQ sandwiches

4 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2013

I eat here probably once a week - I love it! Pretty much everything right down to the salad dressings on their menu is clearly labeled if it is vegan, vegetarian and/or gluten free, and the staff is very good at answering vegan questions. Their soup of the day is often vegan and made with local ingredients. They usually have at least one vegan dessert. My favorites are their standard American fare items like the vegan BBQ sandwich (amazing - ask for vegan mayo instead of coleslaw), vegan crab cake sandwich (complete with remoulade sauce), the fantastic Chik-faux-lay sandwich, and the Tofudabeast salad if you're feeling healthy. Their Crazy Chips are really good, and you can ask them to bring vegan mayo instead of ranch for dipping. The beer-battered fries are phenomenal too. I think they have a separate fryer for vegan food. Service is usually really fast and servers are attentive and friendly. They always have interesting dog-themed artwork. When you're finished, walk across the street to Weaver St Market for people-watching or a vegan chocolate chip cookie.

Updated from previous review on Monday August 05, 2013

Pros: good value and portion size, cool artwork and location, friendly vibe
Cons: parties larger than 6 have to split up, could have more vegan desserts, tomatoes aren't that great
RalphieNader
RalphieNader

Vegan labeling!

4 Posted on 06 / 22 / 2013

They have great vegan options and they are clearly labeled on the menu. I enjoyed the quinoa burger a lot. This is a great place to take people who are hesitant about typical vegan-friendly places (Thai, Indian, etc.) because they have a pretty normal NC menu, they just happen to have some awesome vegan options!

happyvegans
happyvegans

Vegan Southern BBQ, need we say more....

4 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2011

The vegan southern style (vinegar based) BBQ sandwich is the stuff cravings are made of, and it comes with yummy beer battered fries, AND a pickle! We have also gotten the vegan buffalo wings, and have enjoyed those as well. This is a great place to go with family or friends who are not veg.

Pros: Fast , Friendly service, Vegan/Vegetarian Options
sfreiber
sfreiber

Wondeful menu

4 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2009

In some ways it is easier eating out being vegan because usually there is only one option so I don't have to decide. But here there are so many great dishes to choose from that I can never choose. Everything I've had has been great but I definitely recommend the vegan buffalo wings!

wackypig
wackypig

Great place to take your friends!

4 Posted on 12 / 22 / 2008

Their vegan offerings may be slightly limited, but they are quality. Personally, I love the Tempest Salad. The beer battered fries are also delicious. I'd also recommend sipping on the sweet tea, as they make it just perfect.

Pros: great value, quality ingredients
Cons: limited vegan options, service can be slow
agentscarlet
agentscarlet

lots of vegetarian options!

4 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2008

Multiple veg options, not just salads (unlike most places) with a wealth of interesting, tasty, well-prepared entrees that are clearly marked as veg on the menu. Staff is helpful and fast. Locally owned and LGBT-friendly. Full bar but still a family-friendly atmosphere.

veganrunner
veganrunner

Great BBQ sandwich!

4 Posted on 02 / 05 / 2008

Although my boyfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed what we ordered, my only suggestion is that they offer more vegan options. The vegan BBQ sandwich is wonderful and the soy chicken special my boyfriend got was super as well.

Pros: good food, friendly staff
Cons: want more vegan options

Dear Owner and Manager of Spotted Dog Restaurant and Bar: