Spats Cafe and Speakeasy

Serves meat, veg options available. An upscale restaurant that has a large vegetarian selection with several dishes that are or can be made vegan by request. New Orleans cuisine. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Cajun, Non-veg

First Review by PennsyltuckyVeggie
PennsyltuckyVeggie
PennsyltuckyVeggie

Classy but Salty

4 Posted on 10 / 24 / 2011

On the corner of College Avenue & Pugh Street in downtown State College, Spats sits above The Rathskeller to which I gave a food review (http://wp.me/p1GQWj-DK).

Spats, interior is lovely and dimly lit with a Deco Bourbon Street theme. The wood floors, tables and chairs are accented with the rouge and black color scheme of table cloths and high painted ceiling.The selection of jazz always puts me in a festive mood and the little Mardi Gras beads wrapped around the silverware is just the best.

We almost always get the Vegetable Jambalaya but read over the menus for something new. So much to tempt us but it was a couple of vegetarian specials that won out this time.

I chose Vegetarian Chili. Their recipe was quite mild but smoky with chunks of tomato, green & red peppers, corn and kidney beans. I thought they played it a little too safe but it was fine other than being too salty. I added their Spats hot sauce to make it have a little heat.

I also ordered another of my favorites, Creole Chopped Salad. It always comes out super chilled with a wonderful range of textures, veggies and flavors. It does include a cheese, lettuce and a sweet creamy dressing. There is nothing else like it anywhere in the area and we both really enjoy it.

Jim took advantage of the vegetarian special of Eggplant Ravioli. It was topped with soft small cubes of mozzarella and scallions and the fresh made pasta pillows with blanketed in a red sauce. The sauce was creole inspired with the twist of adding sun-dried tomatoes and kalamata olives for flavor and texture. The sauce on its own was a little too salty to begin with and the olives pushed it over the edge. The raviolis were very mild, well cooked pasta around a perfectly done filling of cooked eggplant and cheese.

Although Spats has regular vegetarian specials, I can't think of many who will want to visit regularly. It's just a bit salty - price and palette wise. Save it for a special night with your sweety or a group of friends who are hard to impress. How many places do you know in State College that offer a between course sorbet palette cleanser?. Not a for rambunctious children & reservations are suggested. Vegans will be hard pressed to easily sort out what will make a good meal but it is a pretty classy place for a Vegetarian dining experience. Full review of Spats here: http://wp.me/p1GQWj-MJ

Pros: regular Vegetarian Specials, lovely interior, unique vegetairan options
Cons: salty (too much salt), salty (pricey), not enough vegan

Dear Owner and Manager of Spats Cafe and Speakeasy: