Spak Brothers

Serves meat, veg options available. Has vegan options like the vegan buffalo wings and vegan pizza. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Italian, Fast food, Take-out, Delivery, Non-veg

First Review by christopher byron
DesiRayRay
DesiRayRay

Whoa!

4 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2014

This is a Pittsburgh-must-go! Vegan subs are amazing!

(I would have given it 5 cows, but happy cows only allow 4 cows for a restaurant that isn't totally vegan).

Pros: Delicious Vegan Food, GREAT prices!
amped
amped

Amazing Vegan eats!!

4 Posted on 12 / 29 / 2013

Vegan subs are out of this world. Quirky place with an energetic staff.

Pros: easy parking, good prices, great flavor
Cons: primarily a take out place
BranCorvine
BranCorvine

Love Their Seitan Wings!

4 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2013

Get the vegan Pittsburgh sandwich. It's amazing. Not much room to dine in though.

Pros: Vegan Options, Vegan Cheese Substitutions
Cons: Little Seating, No Restrooms!
FoodAndLoathing
FoodAndLoathing

I love Spak even though they hurt me.

3 Posted on 04 / 04 / 2013

Spak is pretty awesome, and it's right across the street from a small music venue where, like, Ted Leo would come through on tour, so you could totally see him come over here for an amazing vegan sandwich before a show, right? They have veggie meats and good pizza and Daiya cheese. It's a greasy foods sort of place and vegans have to have a source for that too!

My only issue with Spak is that they charge an extra buck for the Daiya cheese. That's crap. I mean, look, Spakky baby. We the vegans make all of our omni friends order from you instead of somewhere else. We go out of the way to pick it up from you since you don't deliver even though Pittsburgh weather is usually terrible. We could have gotten cheeseless pizza with lots of veggies on top delivered to us and we'd have been happy with that, really. But we choose you because you give a damn and offer us options and we bring our omni friends to you and we write good reviews of your establishment because we think you make good food that respects our desire to not harm sentient creatures and destroy the environment. But you want to charge us an extra buck? That's hurtful, Spak. See my feelings? They're hurt.

Pros: has vegan cheese
Cons: charges extra buck for vegan cheese
plumerider
plumerider

A Must for Vegans!

4 Posted on 07 / 11 / 2012

go here. order the seitan wings with a side of vegan ranch dressing. be prepared to freak out over their deliciousness & be prepared to crave them from now on!!!
this place also has amazing vegan pizza. i've never been disappointed.
whenever my hubby & i are in the mood for take-out, this is our spot. trust me - try it! 5-stars!!!

macmantrl
macmantrl

Best pizza ever!

4 Posted on 05 / 15 / 2012

I love Spak Brothers pizza! It's the best ever, even better than non-vegan pizza.
Spak Brothers has tons of vegan options. They even have vegan mayo and ranch. Wings and hoagies are awesome too. Every time I visit Pittsburgh I have to come here.
The atmosphere is great too. One time I came here with my girlfriend, and we were the only 2 people dining in. They don't really have much space to sit and eat (mostly a couple stools along a ledge on the wall). They brought us plates, napkins, and forks. We asked if they had any cups of water and they gave us some old chipped mugs from the kitchen that weren't really for customer use. It was a pretty awesome experience, if you like that sort of thing.

kzollman
kzollman

Best vegan wings and cheese steaks

4 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2012

This place is really exceptional. They have the absolute best vegan/vegetarian seitan wings and seitan cheese steaks I have ever had! They can make these either with real cheese and butter or with vegan cheese and a vegan wings sauce.

I take every one of my vegetarian or vegan friends.

Don't go here expecting to eat the healthy side of veggie food, it's not that. Instead it is the guilty pleasure style. When that's what you're looking for this place hits the spot.

Two downsides: there is essentially no seating and the wings take a while to prepare. But despite this, I keep going back.

Pros: Exceptional veggie guilty pleasures, cool art on the wall
Cons: Tiny
nardanddee
nardanddee

A Worthy Dive

4 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2012

I was in the mood for something completely anti-New Year's Resolution. This hit the spot! I had the vegan philly 'cheese' steak. Absolutely worth it! I was a little hesitant due to the location and the place itself, but one bite had me forget all of my woes.

Pros: tasty food, reasonable prices
Cons: music a little loud, very small place, a bit in disrepair
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Spak Brothers

4 Posted on 12 / 05 / 2011

Vegan junk food at its finest! Spak Brothers is not a large restaurant, but the vegan options seem mouthwateringly endless. Let me tell you, they have one hell of a vegan philly cheese steak. This exceptional vegan junk food sandwich came with well-flavored seitan, green peppers, onions, lettuce, tomato, daiya cheese, and vegenaise all within some very tasty bread. Overall, this was one of my favorite meals in Pittsburgh, and I'll surely go back again during my next visit. 5 cows (site only allows 4)!

veganmadre
veganmadre

Thinking About It Gives Me a Spak Attack.

4 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2011

I had the pleasure of being on in before Spak even opened! As a member/organizer of the Pgh Vegan Meetup, Spak contacted us during the planning phase because they progressively wanted to make sure that their menu was accomodating! How awesome is that?!

Well, it gets even "awesomer" because the food great and affordable! Their seitan is tasty and pizza oozes with follow your heart goodness. There aren't many places you can go and order a vegan version of a standard item at a price that's not inflated! I love that they are just a hole in the wall shop with a passion of pizza. Definitely check out one of the locally bottle sodas in the cooler!

Pros: Lots of Vegan Options, Affordable, Locally Owned
Cons: Not 100% Veg., Not Big Enough for a Large Group
Mikemotorbike
Mikemotorbike

I ate until I couldn't eat anymore

4 Posted on 01 / 10 / 2011

Wow, they give you your money's worth here. I got a seitan melt prepared buffalo style (I think) and sweet potato fries. I ate way too much. It was very very good. I was only in town for a few days and this was up there as a favorite place to be. I enjoyed every second of eating that sandwich.

Pros: good prices, delicious, fun people
Cons: my fries got cold, is that a con?
bevybun2002
bevybun2002

the best

4 Posted on 03 / 08 / 2010

We live close to this place and go there often! They just recently added vegan cheesy bread, portabella hoagie, and vegan tacos also to their menu! U can get vegan pepperoni and vegan sauage on a vegan cheese pizza. Everyone is always friendly too.

Pros: cheap, has game to keep u busy
Cons: not much room for sitting
john412
john412

it's like the less than jake song.

4 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2009

a great little punk rock pizzeria, located about 3/4 of a mile from another great pittsburgh veggie haunt - The Quiet Storm.

there are several veg*n friendly options available, including several types of seitan-based subs. the sandwiches are HUGE and certainly more than a meal if you order the whole and not the half.

the decor is funky - plenty of old and new show fliers abound, a Pac-Man cocktail game, local art, etc.

good food fast. be sure to specify that you want your items vegan!

christopher byron
christopher byron

love the spak

4 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2009

spak brothers isnt a vegetarian or vegan restaurant they just have excellent veg options. The vegan pizza is amazing. The vegan cheese is very milky at first so i would suggest ordering the pizza to go and should be good to go by the time youre home. The vegan buffalo wings at spak brothers are a staple for me. Theyre probably some of the best faux meat wings ive ever had. The wings are made from seitan and can also be ordered in a sandwich.

very good place. a must go if youre ever in pittsburgh.

I gave spak 4 stars because that's the most stars a non-veg restaurant can get

Pros: delicious food, fast, relatively inexpensive

Dear Owner and Manager of Spak Brothers: