Serves meat, veg options available. South Indian food restaurant with a mostly-vegetarian menu, consisting mainly of dosas, which are rice/lentil flour crepes with various fillings. Specialties are masala dosa (potato curry in a dosa), and rasam (spicy tamarind soup). Buffets offered weekdays at lunch and all day weekends. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Indian, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
102, 4655 54th Avenue NE (Castleridge Blvd)
Calgary, Alberta T3J 3Z4

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by 23skidoo

Too hot for me

Posted on 07 / 30 / 2014

The food here is inconsistent, and seems to have gotten both hotter and less tasty every time I visit. To me, brute force heat is not a good substitute for complex spices and flavours. Also, expect slow service if not ordering from the buffet. They are expecting people to get a dosa, some soup, and some buffet items.

The building itself is also really humid and stuffy - wet windows, something that is rare in Calgary. Southern Spice has heat problems in more way than one.

This is one of the few places to get south Indian and dosas in Calgary, so even though it could be better, I do go here occasionally (although not recently).

Pros: Dosas, Tasty soup
Cons: Food too spicy (heat), Hot building, Slow service if not getting buffet items

Dear Owner and Manager of Southern Spice: